The online racing simulator
Logged on as admin
(37 posts, started )
Quote from axus :Sorry for the misinformation then, I was sure I'd seen this at some point - not having the button to kick/ban other admins in the connections list.

I don't know if that is the case, without looking, but the only way that could be possible is if you are the host on an actual graphical host.
Quote from Scawen :Anyway, about displaying the admin status to other guests - there are two ways to do this.
1) Allow only admins to see who else is an admin.
2) Allow all guests to see who is an admin.
I'm not sure which is best - maybe you can have a think about that.

option 1

The normal driver will not care about if there is an admin online, and the one who care are prolly not always the persons who should know that there is no admin around ( thinking of the servers where kick / ban is not allowed).

EDIT:
of course not all people are bad...
/me closes the drawer
#28 - axus
No, I was connected as an admin to a dedicated host... I'll look at it again next time I'm on but I probably just got confused.
Quote from three_jump :option 1

The normal driver will not care about if there is an admin online, and the one who care are prolly not always the persons who should know that there is no admin around ( thinking of the servers where kick / ban is not allowed).

i dont think so.
ppl who got wrecked (or something else) surely will care if theres an admin on.
also, when ppl see theres an admin on it usualy already prevents bad actions.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :i dont think so.
ppl who got wrecked (or something else) surely will care if theres an admin on.
also, when ppl see theres an admin on it usualy already prevents bad actions.

well, but by showing them that there is no admin around (which they would no for sure by opt. 2) it could get worse... at the moment they can't be sure that there is no admin around, and I think that's the better way to keep that.

Or make it a serverside option like: display admin: all / for admins only

PS:
just a thought... when I am the admin on a server... shouldn't I know who else has the admin pw?
Quote from three_jump :well, but by showing them that there is no admin around (which they would no for sure by opt. 2) it could get worse... at the moment they can't be sure that there is no admin around, and I think that's the better way to keep that.

Or make it a serverside option like: display admin: all / for admins only

thats what i suggested along with dawesdust.
imo the best way to make it.

Quote from three_jump :PS:
just a thought... when I am the admin on a server... shouldn't I know who else has the admin pw?

thats why u only give the pw to ppl who u trust
and how should that work btw?
isnt this whole topic about to clear this issue?
Having it as a server side option is untennable, because the need for stealth and the need to be visible changes dynamically and server side options are fixed until relaunch of the server itself.

On my servers admins can choose to operate in stealth mode when they login, and this by far strikes me as the better solution.

For my servers it works because I can promote specific LFSW accounts, basically the driver logs in as a normal user and can type $promote to elevate themselves to admin status (dont bother trying, it checks LFSW name against a hard coded list ), after which then they can issue LFS commands with a $ prefix instead and they show up as an $admin.

For LFS Dedicated host you cannot check LFSW name, but I guess an alternative way to do this is with a second admin password which, when used, allows the admin to operate in stealth mode. Or a tick box on the login screen perhaps?
Quote from Scawen :

Anyway, about displaying the admin status to other guests - there are two ways to do this.

1) Allow only admins to see who else is an admin.

2) Allow all guests to see who is an admin.

If there is only 1 one possible option i would go with 1)

But a cfg setting /showadmin yes or no with a default no, where no does 1) and yes does 2) would be better.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=386549#post386549 is also a great idea

Many thanks
Right, it's done now in my version.

In a list of connections (in game or the game setup screen) everyone can see the host in yellow. That is the only change for non-admins.

What's different for admins - they can see other admins in yellow. If they have a coloured name it will not be yellow but if you press CTRL+SHIFT to see their LFS user names, they will be yellow. Also you don't see ban and kick buttons beside admins, if you are an admin, so that's another way to spot them.

I hope to release a test version this week, on either Friday or Saturday. It will be multiplayer incompatible but physically compatible (i.e. the new version can still play old hotlaps, as planned). You'll hear from me in the test forum and the hosting forum when it's released.
That is great, thanks
WOOOHOOOO! /canreset=no is coming ! *grin & hug*
Quote from Scawen :1) Allow only admins to see who else is an admin.

Doh, I'm late .

Logged on as admin
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG