The online racing simulator
Logged on as admin
(37 posts, started )
Logged on as admin
Does anyone have a method of finding out who is logged on a server as admin?

Thanks
#2 - axus
People whom you cannot vote to ban.
what happens if you try?

nothing?
#4 - axus
Quote from Sticky-Micky :what happens if you try?

nothing?

You can't try it in the first place - the button's just not on the list.
Quote from axus :You can't try it in the first place - the button's just not on the list.

I agree that you cant vote to kick or ban admin but the buttons are there

The problem is that you have to test each person by pressing kick or ban and if it works you have a vote in action against them if they are not admin.

I just tried it and it caused havoc.

It would be good if the button was not there or a different colour if the person is logged on as admin.

Does anyone else have any other ideas to tell who is logged on as admin please.

Thanks
Well you can ask in server too.
i dont think making admins more obvious would help. Sometimes we just go in "under-cover" with a different name to see how things are going, and then people often dont realise that you are and admin, and continue wrecking and ramming. So about the different colour or the buttons not being there -1 from me. If you reallly really need an admin, just ask and usually the admin will change into their normal name and deal with it. At least from the servers i am in thats what we do anyway.
Quote from spiderbait90 :i dont think making admins more obvious would help. Sometimes we just go in "under-cover" with a different name to see how things are going, and then people often dont realise that you are and admin, and continue wrecking and ramming. So about the different colour or the buttons not being there -1 from me. If you reallly really need an admin, just ask and usually the admin will change into their normal name and deal with it. At least from the servers i am in thats what we do anyway.

I am the main admin on my servers, so dont see much point of asking for one.

I have 8 admins on the CD servers but when the race in question was restarted there were 3 on the server so i did ask them all if they restarted the race and they all said they did not.

There was no vote so the means that someone else did it, but who?.

There has to be a way for a main admin to tell who else is logged on as an admin so he can see whats going on or people who give out passwords to their mates will always be about.

By having the connection list change to another colour would work but i agree it may need to be available on admins screens only.

But on the other hand if an admin is to police a server should players not be aware, a bit like the real police as most of us "dont speed when we are aware the police speed trap is about" but may well do if they are in an un-marker car

I am not trying to catch people, i just want to be able to find out who is logged on as admin.
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :Well you can ask in server too.

Am i missing something, how do i ask the server?

If you mean ask a server admin, i am the main server admin so that would not help.
Admins should be able to see who other admins are, but admins on the connection mode should be able to select a Q admin mode. Possibly by putting the letter q after the password ...
Quote from birder :I am the main admin on my servers, so dont see much point of asking for one.

I have 8 admins on the CD servers but when the race in question was restarted there were 3 on the server so i did ask them all if they restarted the race and they all said they did not.

There was no vote so the means that someone else did it, but who?

Had it ever occurred to you that perhaps someone might have actually lied? Dear god no!

That or your password is ultra weak, or better yet perhaps one of your trusted admins went and handed it out.

Quote from Rooble :Had it ever occurred to you that perhaps someone might have actually lied? Dear god no!

That or your password is ultra weak, or better yet perhaps one of your trusted admins went and handed it out.

Lie, no not an admin. However if i could see who was admin i could tell if they are telling the truth.

As to the password, as long as you are aware of my last house name, my wifes middle name in reverse and the day my dad was born you can work it out.
Well, you can use insim to detect who is admin or not as they log in.
Quote :Does anyone else have any other ideas to tell who is logged on as admin please.

If on an STCC server you can type $admin to list admins online, and what STCC server they are on. It wont detect STCC admins on different servers though, and to my knowledge other servers dont offer this.
Birder, I think it would be possible for someone working for your server hosting company to restart a race using their server console access. Perhaps they were troubleshooting an issue for another client and restarted the race on the wrong server. Just a thought.
Quote from SabersKunk :Birder, I think it would be possible for someone working for your server hosting company to restart a race using their server console access. Perhaps they were troubleshooting an issue for another client and restarted the race on the wrong server. Just a thought.

its a good theory. but we dont use consoles so this could not happen.

on topic: It would be nice to see who is logged in as admin if you are already logged in as one. i dont know what it would take but surely there must be some way to show it on the connection list to another admin...

eg. if you are logged in as admin you could have another letter or something next to where it shows the controller type. Possible improvement suggestion maybe....
Franky, wouldn't it just be a case of someone writing an insim app (insim does have the capacity to do it) to check and record as people join, alerting all admins on the server when an admin joins, and the ability for an admin to send a "!admin" command or some sort sending a private list, listing off all the admins, a la STCC.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Franky, wouldn't it just be a case of someone writing an insim app (insim does have the capacity to do it) to check and record as people join, alerting all admins on the server when an admin joins, and the ability for an admin to send a "!admin" command or some sort sending a private list, listing off all the admins, a la STCC.

I'm certain it can be done. But the best way would be to incorperate it into an existing Insim App such as LFSLapper or Vcom as without an insim gateway of somesort LFS can only have 1 insim connection at a time.

EDIT: shouldnt i be in bed by now?
Franky: Already put it in the improvement section

Becky Rose: Sort of "i've got one but you cant have it" dont you think (lol)

Franky: yes, but then i just got up.....
Quote :on topic: It would be nice to see who is logged in as admin if you are already logged in as one. i dont know what it would take but surely there must be some way to show it on the connection list to another admin...

In your particular case, do you keep a chat log? It should be in there.

Quote : Becky Rose: Sort of "i've got one but you cant have it" dont you think (lol)

That wasn't the intention, I responded to the original post. I'm sure an insim programmer could develop you an application but you are right it's better going into one of those other tools, but it would be a lot easier to do these kind of thihngs if they supported an insim relay. (EDIT: which of course the STCC system has... lol - couldn't resist )
On guest computers there is no record kept of who is an admin. But it's on my notes to do this, in an incompatible version. Strangely enough even your own guest computer doesn't know it has admin status, only the host knows - and that must be changed for various reasons and possibilities it opens up.

Anyway, about displaying the admin status to other guests - there are two ways to do this.

1) Allow only admins to see who else is an admin.

2) Allow all guests to see who is an admin.

I'm not sure which is best - maybe you can have a think about that.
Personally I do agree to only admin can view who other is admin...
sometimes I will login my server, and dun want others to know that I am an admin..
Scawen, IMO I think that only admins should know who's admin, unless people want it to be a server option, Sometimes theres many places where being admin public is good, but sometimes hiding is even better.
second that, should be an server option if only admins cann see it or guests too.
#25 - axus
Sorry for the misinformation then, I was sure I'd seen this at some point - not having the button to kick/ban other admins in the connections list.

Logged on as admin
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG