The online racing simulator
Quote from GruntOfAction :U get owned!

lol seriously though the best thing to do if u lose controll and crashing press Shift+S.

It can mean the difference of having a 1st place guy lose or win!

I don't like that. In a 20 car race only 7 or 8 finish because of this behavior. Just do everything you can to avoid other drivers. Other drivers making mistakes and you reacting on that is part of racing.

What i do think is stupid is cars that crash and park in a corner to watch the race because they can't be competitive anymore. If someone now crashes or loses control in that corner they crash into them.
if you spun and you are sitting on the track, facing the wrong direction. just watch the map and DON'T move!
the following drivers see a yellow flag and they should'nt have any problems to avoid you, IF YOU DON'T MOVE! that's the worst thing you can do.
continue racing when there is no danger to others. this is a simulation, so don't shift+s.
Quote from GruntOfAction :U get owned!

lol seriously though the best thing to do if u lose controll and crashing press Shift+S.

It can mean the diffrence of having a 1st place guy lose or win!

If he is unable to dodge you (if you're standing still, that is), he doesn't deserve to win anyway... That's exactly this disgusting hotlapper/"blue flag, disappear for god's sake!"-mentality that's going on on many public servers...

Quote from The Moose :Actually i agree with faster111, If your going to drive a car that new to you then you should do plenty of practice with it offline until your confident you can handle it properly.
It's just disrespectful to the other racers if you go charging in without being able handle your motor.

While I agree that you should have a basic knowledge/understanding of the combo you're driving on, mishaps mostly have another reason... Getting one tire on the grass, shoving or pushing with today's damage system, none of these examples have to do with an inability to control the car, yet still the can end sitting in the middle of the track facing the wrong direction...
Quote from faster111 :1. drivers don't let races finish i mean they restart once 1st driver has won you don't see that happen in real races right

There is already an option in LFS to stop this. The server just has to run it.

Quote :
2. giveaway to drivers who are half in front in corners or tight spaces.

Not sure exactly what you mean... If you mean when a driver is a significant distance down the inside of another driver the driver being passed should give the corner up then yes they should. The majority of people I come across on LFS make passing too easy and if any don't give the corner up it very rarely costs me much time... All you have to do is watch it coming and adjust your car accordingly. If it results in you spinning them around then it's there fault. Any attempt to defend or pass on the outside is risky.

Quote :3. when you crash don't sit on the track move or if you skid and block someone infront of you move or you make others crash.

God no. Countless times I've gone one way to avoid someone and they've gone and stuck it in reverse right into my path. In real life when a car is stationery or in trouble the racers around that car will react accordingly to avoid it, a lot of people in LFS since the danager and cost element don't exist will just try plow through.

Quote :
4. I think they need to bring back clean racers club.

IMO CRC would make no difference. Racing on LFS in the STCC server for example isn't bad at all, usually the ones complaing are the ones causing the trouble from my experience.

Quote from faster111 :well they should spec then or get a car they can handle.

I think that's an unfair statement considering... I don't know how much you've improved but you got on a lot of peoples nerves not so long ago with poor driving yet you insisted on continuing online. So that's a bit hypocritical coming from you is it not?

I have no problem with people who are new/old learning new cars and tracks racing online. I'm constantly learning new combos with the STCC servers. The only thing that people need to understand is to respect other racers and no one will get annoyed.
"........Thats not sim racing IMO, more like ridge racer." - Motordirex

+ 1 !
ok to make point 2 clear for you all if theres like a ich away from a car and a wall they should brake and let the driver pass i seen a few times that has happened and its cause 2 of the cars crashed. and about point 1 theres a option to turn it off how cause i hope dose STCC.
The CRC would only work if a significant number of people and teams involved in LFS joined it and supported it. Which would then make it a hell of a lot of work. It wouldn't help you at all just going into random public servers with people who have nothing to do with or even heard of the CRC.

And I think the wreckers barricade thingy is better set up to help with this problem, more people need to take an active roll in reporting wreckers or consistently bad drivers.

...and coming from you faster, this thread is hilarious, maybe at least you're getting an idea of why people got so annoyed and frustrated with you.
yeah i know graph but am improving look at my pbs and stuff.
Quote from faster111 :yeah i know graph but am improving look at my pbs and stuff.

Looking at your stats your not exactly amazing so I would stop whilst your ahead and then just let it cool down! You have lots of forum posts but not many miles - Get some more miles and track experience (and faster Pbs), then we will restart the discussion!

Faster111 stats:
Travelled distance: 4146 Ml
Fuel burnt: 2217 Ltr
Laps: 1346
Hosts joined: 690
Races won: 8
Second: 10
Third: 13
Finished: 122
Qualifications: 10
Pole Positions: 0
Drags / Wins: 41 / 1

Go on get racing!
Do people not like close side by side racing? Do that many people not have any cornering skills that they can not race side by side in a corner without pushing the other off?

If you are a respectable racer and I know you have the skills, I'm not letting you by in the corner (generally). I will hold the outside and I will leave you room at the apex if you are attempting to pass me. I also expect that upon exit, you will leave me room on the outside and not push me off into the grass.

That is called racing. There is no "giving up". When the car making the pass on the inside is at your door, that means he "gets the corner", meaning, you don't take the apex and push him off. It doesn't mean you have to stop and let him go losing huge amounts of time. This is something that everyone should be striving for. This is racing. Not "he got me, I'll brake and let him go". Defending and battling to keep with the passing car is what makes a good race.

Best racing I've ever done is in the CRC Demo server right before the physics/tire update patch. It was mostly S2 drivers with demo drivers who were well moderated to keep the good ones coming back. The demo server is where I spent several months racing side by side for lap after lap. No one gave up the corner, only the apex/exit to leave room for the other car. No one would get pushed off or crashed off. It was close racing at it's finest and the best racing I've done since the old S2 demo only days pre-S2 release. So.....

1. DO allow all racers to finish the race, not just the winner.

2. DO allow good close racing in the corners. If being passed, then you leave room at the apex. If passing, DO NOT push the other car out on exit. Leave room for him to battle you. This is what close racing is all about and it's the most fun you can have out there on the servers.

3. If you crash, be sure to check the map for other close cars before you continue on trying to straighten back out. DON'T MOVE if others are coming. It is easier to avoid a stopped spun car than a car that is trying to right itself. Watch real racing. Spun cars do not immediately try to straighten themselves back out when a tight group is around them. They wait until it is clear before reentering the track from grass or spinning back around if facing the opposite direction. They do not immediately shift-s to get out of the way. There is no shift-s in racing.

On par with #3, don't ever reset your car as well. If you find yourself on your roof, make sure everyone is clear if you need to reset back on your wheels. If you simply spin out, NEVER reset.
Quote from Fetzo :
the following drivers see a yellow flag and they should'nt have any problems to avoid you,

LOL... I have never seen anyone on a public server (including STCC) slow for a yellow flag. Standard practice is to keep the right foot planted and blast through...

Quote from GruntOfAction :lol seriously though the best thing to do if u lose controll and crashing press Shift+S.

It can mean the diffrence of having a 1st place guy lose or win!

If he couldn't be arsed to respond to a yellow flag he never deserved the win anyway.
Quote from nihil :LOL... I have never seen anyone on a public server (including STCC) slow for a yellow flag. Standard practice is to keep the right foot planted and blast through...

The flag system doesn't work that well to be honest. Many times you can notice a car in mid corner and after you already passed it the yellow flag shows up. Pretty much useless because it doesn't work properly and you can't really trust it as it doesn't work.
Quote from Blackout :The flag system doesn't work that well to be honest. Many times you can notice a car in mid corner and after you already passed it the yellow flag shows up. Pretty much useless because it doesn't work properly and you can't really trust it as it doesn't work.

They should give time penalty's for passing under yellow flag (and setting lap record and stuff that shows your not slowing down)
now they starting to use me as corners needed a brake anyway am sweeting like a pig cause of this new heating thing.
#40 - Jakg
Quote from faster111 :what if a player loses control and other hit him by mistake then what.

then they should sit in the middle of the road - if YOU cant see and avoid a stationary object, what hope have you of racing
Quote from Jakg :then they should sit in the middle of the road - if YOU cant see and avoid a stationary object, what hope have you of racing

People fail to remember that they indeed have a brake pedal that can be used away from corner braking zones and a steering wheel that works off the racing line.

It does amaze me how many pileups happen because someone running in 5th and 6th place are battling and touch, thus both spin or start to crash, then while I am 18th where I started from I watch each and every car 7th through 17th place drive straight into the pileup with their foot still firmly planted on the floor. Then, as I am cruising through at 10 mph watching all the cars flying to the side, I emerge running in 4th past them all.

The biggest problem with this is, now I am running on a 18 connection server with me, 3 yellow markers on the map, and 14 grey markers because they all shift-s back to the pits. Then those 14 shift-s racers reenter the track and continue to race with me and the 3 ahead of me, whom are the only ones still involved in the race.
Quote from mrodgers :The biggest problem with this is, now I am running on a 18 connection server with me, 3 yellow markers on the map, and 14 grey markers because they all shift-s back to the pits. Then those 14 shift-s racers reenter the track and continue to race with me and the 3 ahead of me, whom are the only ones still involved in the race.

Or, they all vote and get a restart because they were stupid enough to take themselves out in the first place.
I have just been online racing the BF1 and as i am confident in the BF1 than other cars i didnt tell anybody i was new and i started as normal.

i was suprised to see how many people just "bin" it on te first corner like they never even thought "i thnk i should brake here to get round this corner":dunce: and they just seemed to plough straight on. and when you have open wheels i tend to be causions about how close i am to other cars. but they seemed not to care.

i did ok actually i came first on my first race in the BF1 and i got the 3rd quickest lap time. so im quite chuffed.
i cant wait for engine/transmission/clutch damage. Should make a big difference to the whole game IMO.
Quote from faster111 :now they starting to use me as corners needed a brake anyway am sweeting like a pig cause of this new heating thing.

I was in a race with you two days ago on STCC and there were at least three people, including myself, who were threatening to report you for your behaviour during the race!

I agree with a lot of what you and others have said about the standard of driving on many of the servers (including STCC) but you seriously need to have a look at your own driving before coming on here and whinging about everyone else.
Quote from mrodgers :It does amaze me how many pileups happen because someone running in 5th and 6th place are battling and touch, thus both spin or start to crash, then while I am 18th where I started from I watch each and every car 7th through 17th place drive straight into the pileup with their foot still firmly planted on the floor. Then, as I am cruising through at 10 mph watching all the cars flying to the side, I emerge running in 4th past them all.

Shhh. Don't you know this is the only means to point finishes for me right now?!!

Quote from stevewhite :i cant wait for engine/transmission/clutch damage. Should make a big difference to the whole game IMO.

Same here. I wonder how much off the pace I will be when everyone else *is* finally lifting off for upshifts.

Still far, far off. (But a few tenths closer!)
I dunno, it really sorta depends on what you're racing, who you're racing and where you screwed up at on the track to decide wether to just sit still or pit out. Sometimes, especially with alot of... well less experienced ppl playing, if you spin out and sit there still, they'll come at you like nails to a magnet.
I don't mean in a blind spot on the racing line or anything, I mean even safely away from the line they'll do this. and of course to all the ppl that hit you, it's your fault they didn't slow down and swerve out of the way. So unless you wanna get banned for being realistic, i'd advise to pit out.
And with the exception of just learning the characteristics of whatever car/track you want to play with, single player WILL NOT help you. the only way you can learn online racing is by doing it. As stupid as the A.I. is, they generally aren't as stupid as we are when it comes to T-1.

And giving up the corner??? Again, you have to make a decision there.
Sure, you can hold your line and be 100% in the right by doing so. And the other guy could be totally reckless and hit you, either by cutting in too hard from the outside or drifting into you from the inside, but then your 100% correct ass will be out of the race. sometimes it's better to let the idiot on by and wait for him to hang himself a little further along. They almost always do. Then again, the other guy could know EXACTLY what they're doing, but do you? So you have to be able to figure that out - and fast.

I still get kinda nervous when it's three wide into a corner and I'm the one in the middle.

online racing isn't just about being faster. It's about having to make split-second judgment calls sometimes. and those judgment calls can only get better by simply getting out there and getting your feet wet.

Your 5 second head start idea is a pretty good one, but maybe too long.
I'd advise to pullover and accelerate as soon as the last car gets past you
I also advise not to just jump in a f-08 server or a LFR server without practicing with those cars for a bit... a pretty good bit unless the server is like almost totally deserted, then be cool to whoever is there and you might just get a few good pointers and decent set-up
It does annoy me the amount of people who shift-S after the tiniest of spins. The only time I would consider it ok is if you are on the couple of South City circuits that don't have pits and you seriously damage your suspension in the crash.
Quote from nihil :LOL... I have never seen anyone on a public server (including STCC) slow for a yellow flag. Standard practice is to keep the right foot planted and blast through...

so? if someone decides not to watch out and crashes into the non-moving car, it's his fault!
most of the time, you don't need to brake anyway. just watch out.
Quote from Fetzo :so? if someone decides not to watch out and crashes into the non-moving car, it's his fault!
most of the time, you don't need to brake anyway. just watch out.

I agree. I don't actually lift for a yellow but I make sure I'm not pushing to the absolute limit like I would be on a clear track. I have some margin for adjustment but by watching me you could never tell this. I would just knock of an extra mph or two at entry or something like that so I have some flexibility available in my line in case my normal path is blocked.

I also agree that people shift-s too much. The only time I would do this is if I really am blocking the track totally or if I'm not really in the race i.e. I started 2 laps down or something.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG