The online racing simulator
What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
For me it was Indycar racing 2 (year 95) - played it for years on my pentium 100
Nascar Racing 1 from Papyrus
Grand Prix 2. Loved that game more than anything. I even had a dream that i did a complete back flip in the game
Jaguar xj220 and skidmarks great games
For me it was Sports Car GT. I had played many games before, but after I had bought a Guillemot FF Wheel to play CMR2 I bought SCGT as well, and since that I've loved simulations.

SCGT on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb5cWh98Slk
I don't really know what got me into racing. It's just always been there I guess. I used to play Need for speed, don't really know which one, I think it was the second one. Always loved the series and always searched for better sims. Also went to the Zolder racing track once in a while for truck races.
Cars and driving always interested me... Maybe it even started with my first walk car or my go-cart..
Reading back through this thread is kind of funny. I see playstation this, Nintendo that.... Oh! Atari 800! I guess many of the folks here have never been to an actual arcade before, eh? My interest in racing/driving "games" predate any type of common household console or even the thoughts of a computer in the home.
Indy500. Then F1GP and NFS.
Well, I've been into racing since forever, but I think Viper Racing was the first game realistic enough to really get me involved.That game merited my first ever steering wheel (Microsoft Sidewinder) because, just like LFS, it was impossible to actually compete with the Al at higher levels without more realistic steering.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Well, I've been into racing since forever, but I think Viper Racing was the first game realistic enough to really get me involved.That game merited my first ever steering wheel (Microsoft Sidewinder) because, just like LFS, it was impossible to actually compete with the Al at higher levels without more realistic steering.

Fun game, used to do some mad wheelies..
Tough question, that.
Like a lot of people here, I played Pole Position back in the day, but that wasn't it. I remember spending countless hours playing Nigel Mansell's on the Spectrum, with it's stripey-field glory That's probably the first one I really got buried into.
Did the same thing again with the SNES version of pretty much the same game, too.

I don't remember any of them as fondly as I do Motor City Online though. That and LFS are the only ones I've ever really taken seriously though.
If I go back to the dark ages, pole position on the Atari. Then something like it on Intelevision, Then it got serious with playstation one and GT. Many other racing titles came with PS1 but GT couldn't be beaten, I went right though the GT series and I had to buy a PS2 to keep it going but at GT4 it had lost something. Useless gimmicks using up memory space that could have been used for better racing. And from there I tried many PC demos and then stumbled on LFS and haven't found anything yet to beat it and I have tried the other titles out there but they lack the ease of use and the feel back to the wheel. Bring on S3, and I'll be glued to the screen for Bathurst.
well... instead of game got me into racing... Racing actually got me into racing games... :P
the first race i have watched was this year formula one Australian GP... after that i just went crazy abt cars and motor racing.. i think two weeks later i saw lfs on the internet so i gave it a go.. since then i am just in love wif this game...
hm so im 17 years old now, but i started playing racing games on the PSx: Toca Touring Car 1, Colin McRae Rally 1, F1 96, GT etc
I played a couple racing games (along with Asteroid!) on my dad's old Intellevision when I was kid. My first PC racing game would have been Indianapolis 500. Am I too young to remember that game? I feel old

After that it was Papy's Indycar Racing, following by NASCAR Racing, Indycar Racing II, NASCAR Racing II, GP2, SCGT and then it's all a blur of crappy games from there. I dipped in and out of LFS since the very beginning, only finally buying a license shortly after the MRT5 was released.
Believe it or not......Destriction Derby 1 and 2
i used to play the GT games alot when i was a kid, but then as i grew up, i started to play more realistic games. Geoff Crammonds "grand Prix 3" was one that really got me into the simulator scene.
Some game called Live for Speed. Don't know if you've ever heard of it...
SCGT for me.

With keyboard obviously.
Quote from lizardfolk :Believe it or not......Destriction Derby 1 and 2

I loved Destruction Derby 2 on PlayStation 1 (the big ol' gray one)
Quote from MAGGOT :I played a couple racing games (along with Asteroid!) on my dad's old Intellevision when I was kid. My first PC racing game would have been Indianapolis 500. Am I too young to remember that game? I feel old

Bah! I was already working my current full time after college job, married, and moved into my new home when Indy500 came out. Oh, and I played Asteroid on my original Intellevision (along with my original Atari 2600 and Colicovision ).
first got me into racing
Older NFS... Gran Turismo... Nascar 99
Hmmm, I believe Test Drive was the first on the home PC in '87-'88, followed by Death Track in '89, followed by a big gap until NFS 1. I've played Indianapolis 500, but I can't remember when it was.

The first 'sim' was probably GPL or F1RC, when vari showed me how far I had to go :weeping:.

What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG