The online racing simulator
Quote from Bendito :I remember playing Brothers in Arms, and it had some kind of a bloom effect. I felt like going to the eye doctor for some prescription glasses.

Have to agree there, bloom just makes things look out of focus.
Quote from mrodgers :Just wanted to tell you, you don't have a graphics card. You have an onboard ATI graphics chip sharing system memory. I have the same ATI Xpress200 chip. For onboard, it isn't all half bad. It runs LFS even with some AA/AS turned on at still a playable 40 FPS.

Don't expect to have all the bells and whistles that folks with a separate dedicated graphics card has.

Oh really? Mines bulit in maby thats why it sucks....
lol with those pictures you just posted
you know what it would really be like?

go swimming in a pool and let your eyes soak up all the chlorine and look around lol because that is EXACTLY what it looks like hahahahhaahhaa
Quote from XCNuse :lol with those pictures you just posted
you know what it would really be like?

go swimming in a pool and let your eyes soak up all the chlorine and look around lol because that is EXACTLY what it looks like hahahahhaahhaa

Did you try it at least, before bashing it?

I just finnished saying that it will look different on other peoples monitors because of the color settings I have on mine.

Before you bash it, at least get your facts straight by TRYING it.
what are you talking about?

i think you're confusing what i'm saying, i love your picture, i'm trying to get my settings to that

i'm talking about the pictures deggis posted
Quote from XCNuse :what are you talking about?

i think you're confusing what i'm saying, i love your picture, i'm trying to get my settings to that

i'm talking about the pictures deggis posted

Oh, I'm sorry. I got a bit carried away. My appologies.

What you have to do is set it up like the first post illustrates and then work back from that untill it doesn't look over expossed. If it looks under expossed at max settings you might try some monitor tweaks, but that will change it for desktop to, so I'd avoid that unless you realy want the change and your monitor has custom color and image setups.
I used alot of Alt-Tabing to get it right for my monitor, but I played with the gama a bit, and I'v found it doesn't help at all.

Also, don't forget to make a profile for LFS if you can, some games don't benefit from these settings and others it won't effect at all.
Before HDRR was fully developed and implemented, games would create an illusion of HDR by using light blooming and sometimes using an option called "Enhanced Contrast Settings". - Wikipedia.

I think I was on to something and didn't even notice it.

I guess I realy did come up with a Fake HDR for LFS.
The light blooming is missing, but who's gonna miss it anyway.
Yes, definately not hdr, but still good imho
To set colour settings for individual games these days with nvidia you need rivatuner or the like. The extra contrast gives a more realistic look, rather than the heavily compressed, grey and drab, standard.
It realy does give the effect of HDRI though doesn't it?

My mom realy thinks so, and she used to be a photographer. She's seen more photo effects then I can ever imagine.

I know, the "My mom" line makes me sound like a little kid, but I still stand by my parents experiance so I tend to mention them alot.
you do realize that with those settings your actually lower the dynamic range dont you ?
#36 - Don
Quote from Shotglass :you do realize that with those settings your actually lower the dynamic range dont you ?

thats what i dont understand - when a game has HDR, it acts like a cheap camera. When the game doesnt have HDR, it acts like your eyes...so why do people try to make games act like cameras?
Quote from Shotglass :you do realize that with those settings your actually lower the dynamic range dont you ?

But you provide a more realistic on screen representation of the 'middle area' of dynamic range. It changes the on screen range to a combination of compressed and clipped, instead of just heavily compressed... it's a personal taste thing I guess.

Quote from Don :thats what i dont understand - when a game has HDR, it acts like a cheap camera. When the game doesnt have HDR, it acts like your eyes...so why do people try to make games act like cameras?

Without hdr, it acts like your eyes if your eyes had a much lower range. HDR tries to compensate for this.
#38 - Don
Quote from Blowtus :Without hdr, it acts like your eyes if your eyes had a much lower range. HDR tries to compensate for this.

so, when you stand by the window in a room and look out, do you see the rest of the room (by your peripherical vision) totally black? And when you look at the room, do you see the scenery outside window totally white? I certainly dont. But my camera does exactly this.
When you stand by the window in a room and look out, you don't see the outside in muted shades of grey because you also have the room in your peripheral vision. Reality gets far, far brighter than our monitors, you may 'prefer' the compressed look, neither is necessarily more accurate.
#40 - Don
i dunno, but for me the pic on the far right looks most "real" (=when compared to what i see with my eyes)
Attached images
hdr.jpg
Is that your house?
Quote from Don :i dunno, but for me the pic on the far right looks most "real" (=when compared to what i see with my eyes)

Thats what I get with these settings, the point is to get it balanced so it doesn't look grey like one image or over expossed like the other one.
It just gives the track a bit more realisim, it seems more life like.

If you'v ever traveled on a country highway when the sun is setting the effects are almost the same. The side of the barns and houses facing the sun have this almost gleam to them. And the shadows seem deeper.

With these settings, you get more Contrast between shadows and highlights. It comes closer to what you see in real life.

If you change the lighting to cloudy afternoon, it looks like a cloudy afternoon. Everything has this muted feel to it but the contrast is still there. Theres no high gleam on anything.

Also, for clear day, everything is bright and clear, but the shadows are still deeper, they look as if they are actualy cast by the trees.

The way I set it for LFS is similar to how I fake HDR in photo shop, you have to clip the levels a bit and then bring the mid contrast up a bit. Remember, it's still fake, so its still LDR but it LOOKS like HDR.

Remember, Your monitor can't display the true contrast ratio of HDRI, so even real HDRI is still somewhat fake when displayed on a regular monitor. What you are actualy doing is narrowing the contrast to what your monitor can display to give you the full range from Darkest to Lightest
There is no such thing as an "HDRI effect"... The textures is either HDRI or it isnt!
are you guys not noticing the word "like" in the title?
Quote from Don :thats what i dont understand - when a game has HDR, it acts like a cheap camera. When the game doesnt have HDR, it acts like your eyes...so why do people try to make games act like cameras?

dont ask me i never understoof it either
i guess it comes down to having something ... anything to sell dx9
the only hdr effect (which of course isnt actually hdr) that somewhat represents how your eyes work is when you go from a very well lit area to a pitch black room in far cry

Quote from Blowtus :But you provide a more realistic on screen representation of the 'middle area' of dynamic range. It changes the on screen range to a combination of compressed and clipped, instead of just heavily compressed... it's a personal taste thing I guess.

no all you do is completely mess up the colour and luma balance of lfs
a lot of it comes down to having a resonably well adjusted monitor with a high contrast too ... ideally the monitor would have the dynamic range of the real world and your eyes would to all the work themself (one of the reasons why i highly dislike lcds which are a step back in that respect)

Quote from DragonCommando :Remember, it's still fake, so its still LDR but it LOOKS like HDR.

the point is its actually VERY low dynamic range which means youll make the dynamic range even less realistic than it was in the first place
I don't agree that HDR in games acts like a camera - because the effects are usually too unrealistic to look like image taken through a real camare lens. I have never seen a realistic blur in games.

For a totally realistic HDR effect, you need to take some LSD pills and blow a tear gas grenade in your room.
The problem is, and not many people know this. You can't get REAL HDRI on a standard monitor, but you can get HDRR, which is still basicaly a somewhat faked HDRI for video games. Thats because standard monitors lack the Contrast ratio to show true HDRI effects as you would see them on specialized hardware.
And if you want to disagree with that, go edit wikipedia.

This was an attempt to get the HDR look that games have, not true HDRI. On my screen it looks good. but as I stated several times it depends on your monitor's contrast settings and ratio, in my case narrowing the levels gave me a more realistic feel because it brought out the full colors of the monitor without loss.

I'll say it again MY SETTINGS ARE EXTREEM! I HAVE AN OLDER CRT!

EDIT: one more thing, reduce your gama to get the deeper shadows and remove over exposure.
I forgot to mention. ATIs settings default to 1.0 mine is at 0.6.
HDR on Oblivion makes the sheep appear to be radioactive.
TBH, that looks no different than setting your PC up to use Mac Gamma rather than PC gamma settings. Which would be what I have my monitors setup as.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG