The online racing simulator
First Post - Newbie Observations
(42 posts, started )
First Post - Newbie Observations
Hello,

For my first post, I thought I'd do a quick intro and post a few of my observations about the sim. I'm Jay, a big fan of racing simulator games (mostly the Nascar / Papyrus sims on oval tracks). I found LFS somehow on the internet, was very skeptical about the game before I downloaded it. I didn't think a quality sim could come from an unknown company (i.e. not one of the "big" software companies). Boy, was I wrong. After 1 day of playing the demo, going through 10 or so training courses, and playing online, I am hooked. Yesterday I paid the $$ for S2, and am 100% glad I did. Here are some 2 day newbie observations and random thoughts:
  • Why isn't this excellent racing sim better marketed? If I had only known about it, I would have paid for it and played it years ago.
  • I am an oval track fan, but am having more fun driving these road tracks than I thought. Good assortment of tracks to choose from.
  • One of the best parts of the game is having so many cars to choose from, and each one has a unique feel to drive.
  • Training Mode: That was what got me hooked initially. Trying to get better and better going through the cone courses, improve my times, better braking and car control, etc.
  • Multiplayer: VERY easy to join a race right away. For the Nascar sims, it was always hard to join a race for some reason (driver experience requirements, lots of "private" races, etc.
  • Game setup Options: Lots of things to tweak, but inadequate help on what they do. I had some trial and error here.
  • Documentation: Found the HTML documentation, but would prefer downloadable PDF so I can easily print and refer back to it. Also, more screen shots would help.
  • Realism Graphics: While graphics arent quite to some Nascar sim games, they are pleanty good. I would like to see more car damage in future release. I have gotten into some pretty good wrecks, but minimal damage.
  • Realism Car Control: Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. Ok, I'll say more. I feel I can actually learn to become a better sim driver with this game. I can really feel the cars I am driving, especially with the Force Feedback. I just need to learn the tracks better. I find even with 5-6 complete circuits, I still have lots of corners that come up and surprise me and I overdrive them.
  • Car setups: I was never good enough to enjoy that aspect of the Nascar sims, and am not yet ready to tackle that with this one either. I think you have to be a really good and consistent driver to start to tweak the car and understand the results. Maybe someday.
Developers: Thanks for making this excellent (and addicting) sim! Finally, a product well worth the $$$!!!!!!

Jay
Quote from deepcscuba :
  • Documentation: Found the HTML documentation, but would prefer downloadable PDF so I can easily print and refer back to it. Also, more screen shots would help.

hi and welcome

there is keys pdf in your docs folder.
Welcome deepcscuba!

I just thought I'd give an answer to your first question, about marketing. We have never tried to market it because it's not finished, and when we do market it, so a lot more people will find out about it, we want to create the best impression. A lot of things have been improving recently, the sound was a lot worse before version V and you might like to try Test Patch V9 which is in the Test Patch section of the forum, for some more improved sounds and some minor graphical updates.

So that means it will be "S2" (also known as "S2 Final" around here) when we actually make an effort to market it, or make it more well known. Not "S2 Alpha" as it is now, which has too many missing or incomplete things (like AI drivers who can't stay on the track and GTR cars with road car interiors). We are working on these things as quickly as possible to get S2 finished and released as soon as possible.
What an excellent first post

All these years being a LFS fan and it's always so great to see new fans discover the sim and go bananas about it. It's like you discovered a extremely wealthy gold mine a long time ago and you are happy to see others discover it too
Yeah nice post mate - good points all round.

Very pleased to welcome mew members like yourself to the community.

GF
Nice post mate, welcome to S2
We need more americans, tell your friends!
Great to have you as a part of the community, deepscuba. Glad to see someone new who avoids kneejerk reactions to some of the sim's shortcomings and instead focuses on the innumerable positives.

As a bit of advice... once you're a bit more comfortable with the circuits, you might want to look around for a league to race with. Leagues are the best way to make friends/gain respect in LFS, and they're damn good competition. Usually a lot less BS and basically no wreckers. In the US there are several good leagues... the SimFIA North American DTM league, the CHOPS Sunday Cup, and the League of the Americas (which I run in) being good examples.

See you on the track! (And tell your friends!)
#9 - X-Ter
Welcome
Welcome to the wonderfull world of live for speed
Welcome to the community, great to hear intelligent and constructive comments from a fresh pair of eyes. Where have you been for the past 4 years?
Yeah - but we know where you'll be for the next 4 years - in front of the PC! Kiss normal life good bye for a while dude
Welcome to the finest driving simulation in the world. You won't regret your decision to fork out the cash.
Hi
Welcome to LFS, Great first post.

Just a quick note about setups. The team inferno sets are generally hotlap sets and not necessarily that good for races of any length. Asking the faster guys on a server for their sets AFTER the race has finished is the best way to get decent race sets imo, you will find most people are more than willing to share.

And definitely download Electrik Kar's Hi res texture packs, they bring the game up to a new level graphically.

and..install the latest test patch as it includes DaveWS's superb sounds.

I can recommend racing on the fine STCC servers as well. Moving up through the licenses really gives you something to race for, as well as finding some great, considerate racers, especially on the higher ranked license servers.

Have fun..see you on the track
Welcome! We've all been where you are today. Thanks for the reminder!

See you online.
Fantastic first post and yeah as been said, grab the new test patch, the new sounds are superb.
Welcome to LFS, prepare to give up all your weekends and evenings to it. If you need setups then just ask someone on a server to send you one, usually they will help you out if your new.
Welcome to the most popular Online Racing Simulation in the World with thousand drivers Online Racing every day.

You should also look for a league, that adds alot to the fun and experience in Sim Racing.

By the way you should also check out LFS World, its a driver database, statistics archive, hotlaps storing site, really alot of stuff is there, it's something every Sim should have. Every Lap you do online will be recorded there. Dont hesitate asking any questions and have a nice Ride
Welcome to LFS
Hi

Its unusual for people to get such nice receptions here (although, that doesn't mean we're an unfriendly community, most people have a nice reception, yours is just extra nice ) so feel privileged

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG