The online racing simulator
PS3 bombs in NZ?
(51 posts, started )
Quote from keiran :Can't believe some people were getting free 42" HD TVs with their PS3s

No, if I'd known that I'd have got one myself, then sold the PS3
#27 - Woz
Quote from keiran :Your comparing a launch at Xmas time to one launched 3 months after xmas where trade isn't near as busy in retail.

I'd put money on the PS3 being sold out if it was an Xmas release as parents are willing to spend a lot more money on their children. People were paying about £700 for Xbox 360s on the run up to Xmas.

Thing is it is hard to get a Wii in some areas but everywhere I have looked I could just walk in a pick up PS3 from stock. Even in the US and Japan release after the initial sales there were reports of units left in stock and also they were not shifting on ebay and the like. Mass returns from people that purchased and then could not flick on etc.

This is the slowest release in history for a console. Even given the time of year etc the deman is not there. From reports the Paris launch had more security guards in place than cusstomers. They expected 3000 people and got 50. Microsoft almost doubled the crowd size when they tuned up in an XBox branded boat next to the Sony one.
.. wow the title

woz, not only is the slang word "bomb" out, its been out for the past like.. 10 years lol and the title really implies a different meaning, i too came in here thinking that ps3s were filled with plastic explosives and set off or something
Quote from XCNuse :not only is the slang word "bomb" out, its been out for the past like.. 10 years lol

OMG, his title isn't fashionable! How will he ever survive knowing that?

I haven't really had a good look at the games that are available (or soon will be) for the PS3 yet, but I am tired enough of the GT series that unless they do something amazing with GT5 I wouldn't be too bothered about a PS3. I have recently seen the XBox 360 on a big Plasma screen for the first time and I was very impressed with how it looked! From what I've seen the PS3 looks very good, but I don't think I'd choose it over the 360 simply for graphics.
i was guessing thats where it came from, i dont have a problem with it (although.. it still is a tad late)

but it really does emphasize a totally different meaning than his intention
#31 - Woz
Quote from XCNuse :.. wow the title

woz, not only is the slang word "bomb" out, its been out for the past like.. 10 years lol and the title really implies a different meaning, i too came in here thinking that ps3s were filled with plastic explosives and set off or something

lol, the thing with slang is that it depends on where you are as to how its used and how things are spelt.

A good example would be an American phrase like "Park your fanny here". Say that to a woman in the UK and it could result in a punch in the face or a shag depending on the woman and the situation.
FWIW, I knew exactly what you meant, and I don't think that term is that "out"
i'm not talking about slang, i'm bloody talking about the word!

when someone says theres a bomb IN something.. what the comes to your mind first?!
I dunno, I guess it depends on context. If someone said they bombed a test, I wouldn't immediately think explosives, but if they said they bombed the classroom, I would..
#35 - Woz
Also depends on where you live I guess. We are so small and so far from everyone here in NZ that we know someone has to really really hate us to be bothered to make the trip to atack us

lol
I can't really understand what the PS3 does that the 360 doesn't, except have more restrictive copy protection systems (is it true you can only use a disc on one machine, removing a key part of the advantage of consoles?) and has a considerably larger price ticket attached to it.

For those a few years behind times getting a previous gen console off ebay is now dirt cheap and there's a wide variety of all the best games you wanted to play/played at a mates house over the last few years. I got an original Xbox and good games/3 controllers for about £60
Quote from ajp71 : except have more restrictive copy protection systems

The copy protection systems are obviously not that good judging by some of the torrent sites

Edit...while there are games available on torrent sites it seem you cant play them...yet

(I'm not advocating piracy here btw..just commenting on what i've seen )
Apparently someone at my dads work bought a ps3 to sell on ebay, expecting them to be selling for lots like the 360 did...but nobody wants to buy it.

It seems that Microsofts pricing and its early release has beaten sony, also the 360 having GTA4, Forza2 and Halo3 and the Pro Evolution games may have something to do with it.

Too expensive + Poor list of games + Sonys damaged brand name + Late release = Shit sales (I almost forgot the totally confusing and crap advertising)
they did have an X-mas rush on the PS-3 here... but not like when the 360 or the ps-2 came out... no one can afford that. I wouldn't mind having one (still cheaper & smaller than a pool table) but it's still too expensive. I predict it to come down in price (maybe $100 US?) by next X-mas.
But going off of my kids and their friends, the main target market for console games are getting more interested in iPods and more advanced cell phones and less interested in video games. If Sony is smart, they'll still support the PS-2 and NOT do what Microsoft did with the X-box.
And I think the real problem with video games in general, both console & computers is that no matter what they do with graphic enhancement and A.I. upgrading... they are still all the same games. people are getting bored with what's offered. now both the 360 and the PS-3 have other features now than just playing video games, but for some reason the marketing ppl don't seem to want to show this as much. These systems can be used as a base for a home entertainment system, replacing the need for a DVD player and to some extent, a home stereo, but they just don't seem to show this enough. but I also think the majority of consumers are really only interested in the video game part anyways, so maybe they just crammed too much crap in these consoles.

I was in an electronics store (Fry's) and watched this little kid playing some fighting game on the floor demo of the PS-3... It really looked impressive..
but still it was just a standard fighting game, not much different than the ones already out for the existing systems, so it's really hard to justify the price on that system if it's the same ol same ol
Quote from Racer Y :now both the 360 and the PS-3 have other features now than just playing video games, but for some reason the marketing ppl don't seem to want to show this as much

Thats where the Wii comes in As for replacing DVD and stereo in the house, I got an XBox 1 on launch day and used it like that right from the off; I liked it so much that when it recently completely died, I bought a brand new one for £40 off ebay
By the way, PS3 WILL play LFS, just not very well yet, Linux install perfectly well out of the box, install wine and presto, LFS running on your PS3! Reading different websites, it's estimated the next version of linux should be out in about 3 weeks that fully supports the PS3 controller (At the moment you must use a Bluetooth/USB KB & Mouse)

It won't be too long before a linux is released that makes use of all 7 cores (One is reserved for the PS3), so hopefully LFS in HD won't be too far away on the PS3!!!
Just a note to everyone saying the PS3 has failed in the UK. They've had 165,000 sales in the first week. (Wii had 105,000, X360 had 136,000) (Ok, the Wii ran out of stock)

@Thor - I forgot about the possibility of LFS on the PS3... There won't be any FFB though, will there?

EDIT: Just realised I'm already playing LFS in a non-standard HD resolution, so its not that big a deal.
No FFB yet, but now the patents are sorted out, expect the new firmware and controllers to be out some point this year, with "Full" G25 support annouced, already has everything minus FFB (Just centre's)

I expect the PS3 will become much more popular in time for christmas!!!
The PS3 project manager should be sacked. It's an overpriced, undersupported, unimpressive, overhyped, way over delayed flop.
Play one, you will be suprised!!!!
I have, my mate bought one. I tried the GT demo, and Motorstorm, and twas on a HDTV. Of course the graphics are good, but they're not leagues ahead of the competition, in fact I'd say they're hardly any better. I also don't like the list of developers that have decided not to develop for it or the massive development costs that will keep smaller 3rd party companies from releasing anything for it.
Thats the point of the Linux projects, it's allowing smaller dev teams to work on the PS3 hardware, and it's not as difficult to program as many reports suggest, it just new...

The 360 took a while to get dev's happy with producing new ways of using the new hardware, as will the PS3...

Any console will get better as time goes on, and the games on those consoles will get better, The PS3 has made a promising start, and imo opinion looks like it's going to win the console war!

As for the overpriced thing, no it isn't, it's cheaper than other blue ray players, and it does so much more...
The 360 with HD-DVD drive is a comparable price....

But of course, at the end of the day it is down to you what you prefer to play your games on, and lets face it, we all prefer to simply play LFS!
IMO it is overpriced. As much as I like it I can't see why the Americans got it for an X360+HD-DVD comparable price while ours is £100-200 more

EDIT: Ignore my last comment about the X360. I still think the PS3 is overpriced though (but I still bought one )
Xbox 360 Premium (With HDD) + 360 HD-DVD = £409.98
PS3 = £424.99

There's not much in it!!!
The thing is, the X360 is over-priced too. The Americans got the PS3 for $599TT, that's about £305. That was the 60gb version as well IIRC. The X360 is also $599 with the HD-DVD drive. So they got theirs about £100 cheaper than us.

PS3 bombs in NZ?
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG