The online racing simulator
PS3 bombs in NZ?
(51 posts, started )
#1 - Woz
PS3 bombs in NZ?
Well, PS3 was released today in NZ. I work in Christchurch so went into the mall near work during lunch to see if the 3 retailers that did PS3 pre-orders has excess stock for non pre-order customers. I didn't wan't a PS3, just seeing if the reeports of unsold units in the other regions played out here.

All 3 shops said they had spare PS3s they could sell me. There were no queues, rush or panic. The mall was busy just not buy for PS3.

What was it like in other areas?
At $1200NZ I'm not surprised that it's not exactly flying out the shops.
And it doesn't play LFS...........
Mind you the cell tech seems interesting.
Doesn't look like there's a huge demand for them anyway - GAME here in the UK still seems to have plenty of them in stock. Not really a shock at that price though.

Problem is, that doesn't help me get my Wii any quicker!
same here in aus, i had a check in a few places and they all had plenty o' ps3s on the shelf.
I read yesterday that for the regent street launch they had five people queueing overnight. Five! Hahahaha.
And here I thought this was going to have a link to an article about terrorists creating bombs out of PS3 cases or something....
Quote from mrodgers :And here I thought this was going to have a link to an article about terrorists creating bombs out of PS3 cases or something....

ROLF, that would add some inmmersion while playing Call of Duty LOL
I still stand by what i've said for years and that the PS3 will flop, and probably go down the downgrader and custom firmware route the PSP has...
#9 - CSU1
Quote from mrodgers :And here I thought this was going to have a link to an article about terrorists creating bombs out of PS3 cases or something....

lol, yep I had a mental pic of terrorists packing bombs into ps3's too, yet another well informative thread title

I cant remember back to when the ps1 first hit the shelfs, does this price compare to the ps1's price?

I wonder how long it will take before we see the 'value packs' ?
Prices double every time I guess. I don't know what the ps3 costs at this time, but I remember the ps1 being around 250 euros, and the ps2 was 500 euros with one game.
The Virgin in my town centre had 100 PS3 for first come first served customers. They opened at midnight for the rush, now they only have 95 left.....
#12 - CSU1
Quote from AndyC :The Virgin in my town centre had 100 PS3 for first come first served customers. They opened at midnight for the rush, now they only have 95 left.....

Lmao! virgin, first come, first served!
Quote :The Virgin in my town centre had 100 PS3 for first come first served customers. They opened at midnight for the rush, now they only have 95 left.....

I can imagine many consumers being unsure if a PS3 bought from a Virgin store will contain everything that is supposed to be in the box, certainly those who have the Virgin television deal are fealing a little short changed.
The PS3 had a big launch here, but after the launch, nothing. The computer store I go to most often has 3 XBOX 360 Kiosks, one Wii Kiosk, and one PS3 Kiosk. There is always someone playing on each of the Xboxes, and always several people lined up waiting to play the Wii, while the PS3 sits in the corner unused.

A friend of mine has one and I was thoroughly underwhelmed. The graphics are no better than my Xbox 360, and it cost him $760 with one extra controller and one game, I got my Xbox in a package that cost $400 for an Xbox premium, an extra controller, a headset, and 3 months of Xbox live...
It might be a good machine if the prices come down, Its simply too expensive at the min.
Sony really blew it on several fronts. The worst being the really late release. Xbox 360's are well established already and Wiii has been a huge success, bigger that Sony would have predicted I'd bet. The price is ridiculous and Blu-Ray is far from being the established choice of next gen DVD.

Frankly i hate the lot of them PC is the only way for me
#17 - mr_x
Aparently in the UK sony were giving free 46" Bravia TVs away worth £2000 for people who queued to wait for the PS3!
Quote from mr_x :Aparently in the UK sony were giving free 46" Bravia TVs away worth £2000 for people who queued to wait for the PS3!

I read that as; "If you make Sony look like it's selling a GOOD product, you'll get a cookie."
Quote from Becky Rose : certainly those who have the Virgin television deal are fealing a little short changed.

Im loving it tbh, new box (HDTV and it records shows, like Sky + and HD in one)

all the movie and sports channels, upgraded internet speed (1 to 3) for no extra price for a year
Not got a new box (or hdtv) But thier on demand service is sooo worth it, and its now free (cost an extra £5 under telewest). Plus come summer all 10mbit users get a free upgrade to 20mbit . And you can't put the blaim on virgin for losing sky one etc, Sky tried to charge double what virgin used to pay for the same channels.

On topic, I work at a Tesco store, a massive one. When the wii was launched I remeber finishing work at 8pm and seeing a que of 15 people waiting.... Finished last night at 8pm asked someone who worked in the electronics department how many where queing so far "none".

To me the ps3 just seems like an uprated ps2, whilst the wii was so radicly different to what came before, and the xbox 360 has alot of good developers :/.
Every store in town that sells any video games system still have a large amount of their stock left.

When the 360 came out, you couldnt get one for atleast 4 months after it came out.

The PS3 has bombed big time.

Wil
anyway, the PS3 came out in Ireland today, i havent been around my town but my best friend is getting one(and yes, i do have friends ). it is costing him €750 for a ps3, 3 games and another controller i think. For the PS3 on its own, i think it is around €620. In my opinoin, that is way too much. I am thinking of getting one myself maybe next year
Blu-Ray player or not, the PS3 is overpriced. £425! I know the Wii is hardly cutting edge, but for that money you could buy a Wii and 7 new games.

Or an Xbox 360 and 5 games with change left over.
Plus you don't get the fun of the Wii controller

The PS1 was £300 at launch, which was horrifically expensive - I remember someone getting one and we all took the mickey 'cause he could have got a PC that could handle Doom for the money ... happy days
Quote from v4forlife :
When the 360 came out, you couldnt get one for atleast 4 months after it came out.

Your comparing a launch at Xmas time to one launched 3 months after xmas where trade isn't near as busy in retail.

I'd put money on the PS3 being sold out if it was an Xmas release as parents are willing to spend a lot more money on their children. People were paying about £700 for Xbox 360s on the run up to Xmas.

As someone said on the radio today from GAME, if done correctly the PS3 could be a huge hit. It's cheaper than a blu-ray DVD player at this moment in time so has huge potential to be marketed as a cheaper home entertainment system that can do more than a blu-ray DVD player. All Sony need to do is push the Blu-ray media forward.

Can't believe some people were getting free 42" HD TVs with their PS3s

Keiran

PS3 bombs in NZ?
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG