The online racing simulator
Which computer will run LFS faster?
Excuse my general lack of computer knowledge.
I have the option of trading this computer im on (a presario 2100 laptop- Radeon IGP 320m-448mb of ram) to my sis for a HP 8760C desktop. Will the HP run things more smoothly or should I stick with what ive got now? LFS is just barely playable at all the minimum settings I have to have things set to for this computer. I've never taken my laptop out of the house once so I really could care less about the 'portability' factor.
Like I said I'm basically wondering if games will run smoother in general and also if there are any other issues I should be aware of that might make it a better idea not to trade computers with her. Thanks.
#2 - Jakg
specs of each PC?
yeah , would help
Like I said, im computer illiterate so I dont know where the specs are to give to you. I gave as much info as I could that seemed to possibly be usefull. If you let me know where and how to find them I can let you know. I cant look on the desktop at all however as its at my sis's. She gave me a few numbers off of it including the one I listed above. Isn't it possible to do a quick search and see the specs of the system based on that model number?
I did a quick googling. What I found out that Presario 2100 is miles faster than the HP. You really shouldn't trade those.
Your 100% sure Gee? The laptop is like a 2001 model and the desktop I thought was like a 2000 or 1999, but what a bunch of people in-game in lfs told me is that desktops are almost always much faster than laptops even if they are a couple years older. I wasnt sure though so I was just asking on here to make sure.
Thanks for your help.
According to HPs site 8760C has a PIII 733MHz, 128MB of RAM and a Integrated GPU and the Presario 2100 has a P4M 2.4GHz, 512MB of RAM (GPU takes a part of this) and the Mobility Radeon. According to those specs the Presario has a faster CPU (a lot faster), more RAM and a better GPU too. Also the Presario seems to be a '03 model and the HP is a '01 model. If those specs are right you should get better performance with the laptop.
Yah, now that I think about it I did get it in '03. Allright, that settles it then. Thanks again man, saved me a headache with the quick replies.
of course you could just install lfs on your sistes comp and test it and see for yourself then delete it if it runs slower.... But if the specs above are correct then your laptop would be faster.
#10 - Dru
Quote from bryanviper :of course you could just install lfs on your sistes comp and test it and see for yourself then delete it if it runs slower.... But if the specs above are correct then your laptop would be faster.

lol i was just thinking how many responds would there be before some suggested putting the demo onto both and doing an actual comparision??
Quote from geeman1 :According to HPs site 8760C has a PIII 733MHz, 128MB of RAM and a Integrated GPU and the Presario 2100 has a P4M 2.4GHz, 512MB of RAM (GPU takes a part of this) and the Mobility Radeon. According to those specs the Presario has a faster CPU (a lot faster), more RAM and a better GPU too. Also the Presario seems to be a '03 model and the HP is a '01 model. If those specs are right you should get better performance with the laptop.

Looking at those specs for the laptop.. LFS should be more than just barely playable. Have someone who 'gets' computer software check out the system.. could be you have some software conflicting with LFS.
My laptop has similar specs, and i could barely play lfs on it 5 - 10 fps max. I popped in an extra 512mb of RAM and now get 40 - 50 fps (25 - 35 with settings on max)
At least with the desktop, you could pop in a $50 video card (say 9800pro or Ti4600) and get miles faster performance than the laptop. Of course this is assuming that the desktop isn't so OEM-castrated as to not even have an AGP slot (like a Dell of mine).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG