The online racing simulator
Broadband help.
(11 posts, started )
Broadband help.
This has been going on for a couple of months now. Since late October '06, mostly evenings, the internet connection speeds would slow down to at least a dial up speed. (12 - 45 kb) until early mornings. I would get decent broadband speed. 2.2mb. But because of the speeds I'm getting. I'm thinking of taking my business elsewhere to another company with broadband. Virgin.net keeps claiming that because so many customers are on after such and such, I'm starting to think its bull. Because with that many customers on 6 months ago before the slow connections, I still had a great speed connection. Can anyone assist which broadband company is recommended, or a way to solve this slow connection problem? Thanks
Quote from BigDave2967 :This has been going on for a couple of months now. Since late October '06, mostly evenings, the internet connection speeds would slow down to at least a dial up speed. (12 - 45 kb) until early mornings. I would get decent broadband speed. 2.2mb. But because of the speeds I'm getting. I'm thinking of taking my business elsewhere to another company with broadband. Virgin.net keeps claiming that because so many customers are on after such and such, I'm starting to think its bull. Because with that many customers on 6 months ago before the slow connections, I still had a great speed connection. Can anyone assist which broadband company is recommended, or a way to solve this slow connection problem? Thanks

I use to get this problem alot, I have Plus Net and that speed use to come up now and then! It seems to be ok now however! At the moment!

I would use to say Plusnet, but they are crap now! Eclipse seem good, I might try them out! There are others, im sure people will share their ones
I jumped from plusnet's ridiculous traffic shaping scheme, looked at a few other providers and went with Newnet, who claim to use no traffic shaping of any kind. Eclipse and Zen had mixed reviews at adslguide to do with speeds which put me off them.

I've had no trouble since migration and my pings are fine.
#4 - Bean0
I jumped from the sinking Poopex ship a couple of weeks ago, and found sanctuary at Entanet, through the UKFSN reseller (as recommended by Bob Smith).

They don't traffic shape as such, but they have an Anti Packetloss System that knocks down everyones leeching speed when the pipes are getting close to capacity, this ensures that gaming, VOIP etc aren't affected. I also like the fact that staff from Enta and the resellers post on ThinkBroadband (Ex-ADSLGuide), it reminds me of how Poopex used to be when they were a family run company who cared about their customers.
Why would virgin.net try to traffic my connection speeds?
#6 - Bean0
Quote from BigDave2967 :Why would virgin.net try to traffic my connection speeds?

With the phone/TV/Internet deal, they have most likely had a major influx of new customers, all with shiny new upto-8mb connections who are trying to download the whole internet at once. This results in their central pipes getting close to capacity, which results in slower speeds and packet loss all round.

Look here - http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/po ... ?Cat=&Board=virginnet

The first page is full of people suffering a myriad of issues, and the occasional 'Yay, I left' post.
Would it be recommended to take my business elsewhere? Or sit out and wait and see if they have improved?
#8 - Bean0
Up to you really. I don't know if you have a phone/internet deal, you might end up paying more elsewhere.

Also, if you've been with them less than 12 months, they might want the remainder of the contract paid to let you go.
I could be let go instantly, spoke to my Dad about it. Thanks for the details, I'll let you know of the outcome if you are interested.
I amazed no one has mentioned contention ratios. More important than the size of the connection IMO.

I use BT - it aint cheap but its very reliable. Connection speeds stay consistent and I have very few discos.

Broadband help.
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG