Endurance on STCC 1a
Just a little feedback from last nights racing

Not an overall resounding success on the STCC 1a server last night as usually this server is full to the brim.

The track was SO sprint 2 Rev 33 Laps the problem being in the race that started at around 11:15pm as I think there was around 10 cars on the grid with myself on the front row.

Anyway as the race carried on 1 by one they left the server due to the fact thier cars were no longer drivable, by lap 18 there was only 3 cars left, by lap 24 only 2 of us, I was a little miffed as I had lead from the lights when the other driver from the pits ended the race on lap 28.

The other earlier races ran in a simular vien although racers did not leave the server alot of them returned to the pits and rejoined to the extent that in race 1 I had missed the start and by the time I threw on a set up I was 3/4 of a lap behind and by lap 20 was in the lead only to run out of fuel on lap 28 as I was unaware until lap 2 that it was a 33 lap race but had to carry on with fingers crossed - Gutted

The next race I finished 4th from the back of the grid

So at 11:45 last night the server was empty which is pretty unheard of for STCC1a so jumped ship to STCC1b
Quote from CELTIC100 :Just a little feedback from last nights racing

Not an overall resounding success on the STCC 1a server last night as usually this server is full to the brim.

The track was SO sprint 2 Rev 33 Laps the problem being in the race that started at around 11:15pm as I think there was around 10 cars on the grid with myself on the front row.

Anyway as the race carried on 1 by one they left the server due to the fact thier cars were no longer drivable, by lap 18 there was only 3 cars left, by lap 24 only 2 of us, I was a little miffed as I had lead from the lights when the other driver from the pits ended the race on lap 28.

The other earlier races ran in a simular vien although racers did not leave the server alot of them returned to the pits and rejoined to the extent that in race 1 I had missed the start and started 3/4 of a lap behind and by lap 20 was in the lead only to run out of fuel on lap 28 Gutted

The next race finished 4th from the back of the grid

So at 11:45 last night the server was empty which is pretty unheard of for STCC1a so jumped ship to STCC1b

Shame - often the case with long races people dropping out. You really need to start with virtually a full grid to guarantee race long action.

ATC GP events are always excellent in this respect.
Shame it didn't come off, i'd be interested to hear how other endurance nights have gone? Do I need to shorten the races a bit? Or are they just not worth bothering with, and if so on which servers?
Great fun lol driving round with no supsension for 20 laps lol.

I don't think the races need to be shortened, 33 laps of a track that is left than a minute to drive is not really that long a race. From spectating and then leaving the problem seemed to more that racing around south city people were tapping the walls and damaging the suspension and there is no pit for repair then people were auto pitting to continue racing. Or people, like me, went to spectate and couldn't be bothered to wait 20 minutes for the next race. Also as said fuel was a problem i realised at the start i had about 2% less fuel onboard than i needed, as no pits to fill up, i has choice of coast to save fuel or to run out at the end of the race.
So i think the main problem last night was the lack of pits. People were getting damaged, low on fuel etc with no other way to sort it out than shift S and be out of the race effectively.
Quote from Greboth :Great fun lol driving round with no supsension for 20 laps lol.

I don't think the races need to be shortened, 33 laps of a track that is left than a minute to drive is not really that long a race. From spectating and then leaving the problem seemed to more that racing around south city people were tapping the walls and damaging the suspension and there is no pit for repair then people were auto pitting to continue racing. Or people, like me, went to spectate and couldn't be bothered to wait 20 minutes for the next race. Also as said fuel was a problem i realised at the start i had about 2% less fuel onboard than i needed, as no pits to fill up, i has choice of coast to save fuel or to run out at the end of the race.
So i think the main problem last night was the lack of pits. People were getting damaged, low on fuel etc with no other way to sort it out than shift S and be out of the race effectively.

Maybe it needs more time. If you run out of fuell you will make sure that won't happen again. Same for the hitting the wall thing. If people notice they can reach podiumplaces by driving more carefull they will take less risk and more people will finish.
Good racing Greboth I believe I followed you for 15 laps or so

I agree that the main problem was the lack of pits as this meant rejoining the race from lap 1 if you wrecked your car on this track, If a different track was used with pits enabled the racing would be alot better as it would mean you could still get back into the race

Did not have any Problem myself only the fuel due to the fact I joined the server as the race started and just whacked a setup on and joined then noticed on lap 2 that the race was 33 laps (OH S**t) fingers crossed to no avail
Quote from marzman :Maybe it needs more time. If you run out of fuell you will make sure that won't happen again. Same for the hitting the wall thing. If people notice they can reach podiumplaces by driving more carefull they will take less risk and more people will finish.

Yes, but pitting takes a lot of time, so once settled in most peeps would want to avoid doing it anyway
@Celtic, just noticed where you are from. You stay up late, don't you, LOL.

My take on endurance racing in public is that it just doesn't work. Too many people coming and going, midrace joining (which I don't have a problem with as I midjoin also as long as blue flag is obeyed), shift-s'ing and rejoining, etc. I jumped on the server and first saw a track I am not fond of, then noticed the 33 laps, and finally noticed 4 or 5 cars "racing" about 20 minutes after the race was finished. I saw someone vote to restart, but no one followed. I kindly asked in chat if anyone fancied an "end race" to get a track change as I don't like that one and didn't get a response. That's fine, they were out there lapping, I take it as "no, I want to run this one".

Yeah, I race public around 2 hours in the evening. I can't be bothered with qualifying like I see on many servers and can't be bothered with waiting a half hour for the next race to start. I like to arrive and drive. If the race is going on, I'll jump behind the pack and run some practice or setup testing if I don't have one while waiting 5-10 minutes for the next race. Or if it's a combo I like or have a set for already, I'll spec and check out the competition.

Public endurance racing to me is around 10-15 laps (depending on track). It keeps people on the server while new connections aren't put off with waiting around forever for the next race. Long race endurance racing (half hour or longer) is just better suited for league, team, or scheduled environment where you won't have the constant coming and going on the server as much (or at all).

Yes, Celtic, it is very discouraging to run in a longer race like that just to find yourself the lone car 3/4ths of the way through.

Quote from Gentlefoot :ATC GP events are always excellent in this respect.

That would be because the ATC GP is a scheduled event. Not just an arrive and drive public server. A big difference.
[quote=mrodgers;366887

That would be because the ATC GP is a scheduled event. Not just an arrive and drive public server. A big difference.[/quote]

Yes, I know but its still worth suggesting to the guy is it not.
Trouble is, the attention span of todays people, they want a quick fix, I blame MTV myself

I like the endurance races, gives you much more chance in picking up places, short sprint races are win and lost very quickly, and if you are starting from the back of the grid on a short race it is MUCH harder to progress in a short race, than it is in a longer race

I hope that it (endurance days) carries on, and I would almost say that the non-endurance days should have the race time increased a little
Well endurance nights on STCC servers are an experiment, the length is randomish (it's a complex algorythm which is heavily weighted by the number of people on the last race restart) but it is only set on the end race screen. I've asked Scawen to make it possible to change the number of laps without going to the end race screen, and hopefully this will make it adapt to popularity easier.

In terms of the SO Sprint track, yes I can see how that would be a problem regarding pits. I think the best thing to do in those circumstances is vote to end race to get a new track. Perhaps I can make it exclude those 2 tracks and FeRallyXGn on endurance night.
Endurance needs a completely different mindset hence my first race started 30 sec behind the pack and on lap 20 was leading simply by taking care and waiting your moment, you would be amazed at how many places you can pick off just waiting for the car infront to make a mistake (made easier last night as all other racers were treating it as a short sprint)

don't think this would happen on silver and up mind

I would definately wish the Endurance to stay just seems that some of the racers need a little educating
especially when theres no effective pitstops.

NIGHTHAWK : yeah pretty late mate and I must apologise for the off in the UF1 - Im still using the mouse and the aggresive taps I was getting forced me into you - Counter steer with mouse does'nt really work until you hit something hard this time unfortunately it was yourself - the sooner I can get a wheel the better cause I would'nt want to step up to the silver server until I do.
oh btw sorry for breaking the auto-restart twice last night

Once was when I reloaded the config file after fixing the FXO licence requirements on STCC2, the other was when I updated with a new feature (auto-kicking of AI's).
Quote from CELTIC100 :NIGHTHAWK : yeah pretty late mate and I must apologise for the off in the UF1 - Im still using the mouse and the aggresive taps I was getting forced me into you - Counter steer with mouse does'nt really work until you hit something hard this time unfortunately it was yourself - the sooner I can get a wheel the better cause I would'nt want to step up to the silver server until I do.

Beings that I can not remember for the life of me you getting into me at any time last night, no worries bud, LOL.

Quote from Becky :oh btw sorry for breaking the auto-restart twice last night

About this statement. I haven't seen auto-restart on the STCC1a server since the first week I tried the server around a month or so ago. What ever happened to it. I'm assuming your statement there is pointed towards any/all of the S2 servers as I don't run them as much as the XF/XRG S1 server. I am there (S1) quite regularly now and it just doesn't autostart.
I dont go on the servers much at the minute - I barely play at all anymore i'd rather create stuff - but I will look into this later.
I cant say i've seen an auto restart on the Silver+Gold server for ages either.

As for endurance races... I love em..to me that's proper racing , but it seems some people have a very short attention span.
Last night as soon as we arrived at FE club rev, and people saw it was 26 laps, loads left. Come on guys....it's 26 laps of a 47sec lap track...that's hardly endurance now is it?

Please stick with the Saturday Endurance races for a while Becky...hopefully they will grow in popularity. Remember guys/girls, there's a shedload of points to be won in a long race as well
Quote from The Moose :

Please stick with the Saturday Endurance races for a while Becky...hopefully they will grow in popularity. Remember guys/girls, there's a shedload of points to be won in a long race as well

What he said... ^

I always miss those messages that come up when you join a server - I'm usually trying desperately to remember what my uniquely disorganised setup naming system actually means, so those subliminally quick missives go over my head.

So I didn't really know about it, but sounds like a great idea to me.
The last 2 Saturdays on the Silver+Gold server have been great. It doesnt only count that you are fast but you also have to be consistent and be nice to the tyres. Please keep it.
Same here...please stick with endurance day!!!!

In my point of view...is in endurance day that we can see what type of driver we really are.
In a 4 or 5 laps race you can get lucky....some nasty acident on the 1st turn, and there you go to 1st place an win the race.
In endurance is kind different...we have to be consistent if we want to win something, we have to watch of the tyres...after some laps there will be some slow traffic ahead and there's always some nice fights...
One question, aside from the timezone differences do the endurance nights actually happen on the day advertised? Because calculating that from the date is a bit awkward and I wasn't 100% sure I got it right .
Quote from Becky Rose :One question, aside from the timezone differences do the endurance nights actually happen on the day advertised? Because calculating that from the date is a bit awkward and I wasn't 100% sure I got it right .

in here yes
Hm, I think 3 weeks ago, the races on the Silver and Gold were already very long on Friday. 33 laps on FE Green, IIRC. I didnt drive on Saturday, so I dont know if there were still endurance races happening then.
Didn't know about the endurance nights before last night (and won't be there next saturday), but I'd say keep it! I enjoy a little longer races, but pits are a must imho. Also, it would be nice to know at what time exactly the first endurance starts, so you could either try to be there or at least somewhat calculate when the next will start.
It goes for the whole day, not only the evening/night.
It's not that I don't like endurance racing. I love running long races. It's that the lower server's (I don't run the XRG, so it's taking me forever to get silver) are on Monday and Tuesday nights. If they were on the weekend, when I have time to put into endurance, then I'd love it. Especially Monday nights, I like to just arrive and drive quick races because I don't get much sleep Sunday nights and Mondays at work are killers (much like everyone I suppose.) I tend not to run much during the week (hour or 2) so I'd rather do some quickie races and long stints on the weekends.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG