The online racing simulator
Dtx 10
(33 posts, started )
Most people i chat with regret throwing their money away getting vista, as there so limited to what they can do, i mean, sure DX10 is great with a small list of games, thats about it..
If (when) Scawen decides to upgrade the engine, I hope they focus on quality rather than eye candy. It's amazing with so many "new gen" games looking like cr*p because the developers are overdoing it :|
Quote from r4ptor :If (when) Scawen decides to upgrade the engine, I hope they focus on quality rather than eye candy

Personaly, I think DX10 is a waste of time.

funny thing is, though this is a bit off topic, I was at EB games today and found a vista box that says "the best windows for gaming ever!"
I almost LOLed in the store. That has to be the dumbest thing ANY company has ever put on a box.

Then again, I was in an EB games store.
OpenGL will be crap for Vista users. It doesn't run natively in Vista. It's emulated and is freakingly slow. Microsoft just screwed up all the cad/cam software making companies
I wish LFS would be an independent OS one day.

#32 - wien
Just to try to explain a little bit what the point of D3D 10 really is... (Believe it or not, it's not all a part of Microsofts evil plan to rule the world. Well, not just. :evil

D3D 10 has removed a lot of the old baggage left behind from supporting older generation graphics cards. The so-called fixed pipeline is removed and replaced completely with shaders (vertex, geometry and pixel), simplifying the API tremendously and bringing it closer to what the hardware of today is actually doing. State switches (Changing from one shader/material to another for example) have also been simplified so that you don't get the massive pipeline stalls you got in older versions. The so called capability-bits from D3D 9 have also been removed. On D3D 9 you need to check these bits to see if the hardware you're working on supports some feature you want to use. In D3D 10 you know every supporting card will support the entire API, simplifying the development process. (There's a lot of other stuff too, but I don't want to get too technical.)

Now, what does all this mean to you, the user? Well it means your developers and driver writers will have less of a dog of an API to wrestle with, leading to leaner and more efficient code coming from them. (moar FPS!!!111one!!) It also enables developers to more easily implement things that were slow/hard/impractical/impossible before. It's not a magic bullet, but it's a good step in the right direction.

Does LFS need D3D 10? Not really... The hardware/software requirements are a little too steep for the short term, considering the current user base, and frankly LFS, in it's current form, just runs too good on a supporting system to really take advantage of the performance improvements in the API. (Which is a good thing! ) It could take advantage of for instance geometry shaders for a GPU based particle system (Think fluid dynamics based dust(rain? ) simulation when you're having a bit of an excursion.), but there's very little LFS actually needs that can't already be done quite satisfactory in D3D 9 or OpenGL (OpenGL is BTW also about to get an API overhaul similar to D3D 10). LFS isn't primarily about the eye-candy anyway.
Quote from Primoz :OpenGL will be crap for Vista users. It doesn't run natively in Vista. It's emulated and is freakingly slow. Microsoft just screwed up all the cad/cam software making companies

how many of those users run windows anyway ? not many i guess

plus its really up to the card manufacturers now ... just because ogl runs on a dx emu natively doesnt mean the driver cant use his own ogl implementation to get around it

Dtx 10
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG