The online racing simulator
Do you like LFS's exclusivity?
(79 posts, started )

Poll : Do you like LFS's exclusivity?

Yes, I like its level of exclusivity
No, I wish more people would play it
It doesn't matter to me
Do you like or dislike how exclusive LFS is? I like it being exclusive, because everybody's nice to each other and we have this feeling of community where everybody (except the occasional douche) is willing to help one another. In race, people apologize if they crash others (again, except the occasional douche), and are willing to share setups and other tips. I'm kind of worried that LFS will lose its charm if it really starts to take off. What's your opinion? (Please vote in the poll, too!)
I am (we are) working hard to promote LFS in Sweden. Have a guess!
I really like the fact I can chat to and race against the best players in LFS.

I definatly class it as one of its best features!
Meh, I don't care about it, because they both have their pro's and con's. The pro's have been mentioned already for it being not so popular, but the con is that it would be nice if there would be more people to race, especially in the odd combo's. More people means more chances they'll choose a weird combo!
i used to love it when i first joined, i said yes, i still do, but now its growing exponentially and .. i'm not to much a fan of that

im glad for the devs, that means big business for them, but i loved it when it was such a small community
Im not voting as it matters to be but i think both. Yes the exclusivity is good, it gives a sense of community, people have manners and you can see the same racers again and again. BUT more players would always be good, more servers over a varying tracks, more people to race against.

Edit: I don't think lfs will loose it's charm as it becomes more popular as with licences comes the responsibility to drive clean or get banned which will always keep keep 99.9% of races clean from wrecking.
On the one hand, I wish that LFS gets as popular as possible, because that's good for the Devs. And don't they deserve it!

On the other hand (the selfish side), from my experience many things get worse when they get more popular. Mind you, I personally think LFS already lost some of its charm compared to the demo days. I'm sure lots of people around here will disagree - again, just my opinion.

So for the time being, I do see LFS as kind of a niche product and a community (call it exclusive if you want), and I'm proud to be a part of it!
#8 - th84
For me, I would like to see more people find and buy lfs. There arent many people around when Im able to race, and when there are people around, its always fox/bl1 or something that has been driven to death. The server's get lonely alot with just me, Nighthawk and a few other regulars. (although they make for great company)

EDIT: I must add, the STCC server's have helped with the above mentioned problem, it seem's more and more people are out and about since the STCC server's have been around. So thnx again Becky!!
It's kind of weird to go play any other game online where people are rude, don't behave, are overly aggressive and curse a lot. I think the license system and the genre make LFS special on this front, of course there are the exceptions, but on average the LFS players are quite polite and nice people. It's like what the Formula 1 used to be in the old days, or at least what they say it used to be like. On the subject, I think LFS shouldn't be exclusive. We don't want to end up with a tight-arsed elitist club, it's not fun.
LFS is not easy. it takes a lot of practice and patience. I believe LFS has a different target audience than the First Person Shooters out there, after all, the avg LFS racer age is 26>.

Im really not worried.
I'd rather have more drivers, but I'd rather have less drivers if it means being invaded by an army of retarded CS kiddies.
Yeah, I really like how it is something special. If I tell my friends "I play counter-strike, it's either "that game sucks" or "I play it too". If I tell em I play lfs, I tell them about it and soon they get interested. It's great to share something special =)
LFS's exclusivity doesn't matter to me, but any sim worth its salt is going to be exclusive by its very nature anyway. A good sim needs to be accurate enough to make it difficult to be a fast driver, not just good fun like a game. Pretty much anyone can be fast at NFS or Gran Turismo, but not everyone can be a good sim-racer. It takes a bit more concentration and practice (and sometimes hardware) to be quick at something like LFS, GPL, netKar, Papy's NASCAR sims etc.

LFS is also not marketed heavily which is also something I like (I think I'm allergic to hype, makes me itch ), and it seems to do pretty well against its competitors anyway.

If there's a sudden influx of new racers or forum members I don't think LFS will lose its charm or cult feel (or whatever it is). A good sim run by a good team will always feel "like itself" and not lose its focus, even if the forum turns into a hell-hole As for the servers, the more the merrier. As mentioned above, the more people there are, the more chance of an odd combo on the server list :up:
I have to admit I like it's exlusivity.

On the other hand I do want it to be a succes. The dev's really deserve it. I have introduced the game to people who bought an s2 licence instantly!

The danger with things becomming more popular is giving in to the demands of a mainstream market. And there are plenty games for those "racers".

I think the overall quallity is due to the independance of the devs. I'm sure Electronic Arts would screw this game up big time! I really hope the dev's will never sell out. And I don't expect them to!
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :Yeah, I really like how it is something special. If I tell my friends "I play counter-strike, it's either "that game sucks" or "I play it too". If I tell em I play lfs, I tell them about it and soon they get interested. It's great to share something special =)

When I tell people about LFS they go like: huh, what's that? It's a racing sim? Yea, I like to race too once in a while. Wanna see my NFS cars? The skyline rules!

I tried getting a few persons to play it, but he lost interest quite fast, so that kinda sucks.

I said I would like more people to race with, but actually I frequent the forum way more often than I race. I tried to race earlier today, but couldn't cause I just didn't have the feeling. I don't have much time for racing, so I guess I compensate with reading the forum. On which I'm pretty dissappointed lately, I lost the fun in reading here I think. Nothing special pops up anymore, lots of boring stuff, things I read a million times before... Maybe I should go on a break or something
I'd like more people to play as I've only just started and I need someone I can actually beat...
#17 - Woz
All I care about is tht it's easy enough to find a good clean race
LFS isn't exclusive, it's just not that well known (compared to racing sims sold in shops and promoted).

I would say the general strength of the community seems a bit weaker than it used to be, when it's small you become a big bunch of mates, sadly that feeling can only go when there's thousands of members chatting away. Us regular old timers will still remember one another though. Just keep coming to the regional meets, or if they don't exist in your country, make them happen.
Quote from felplacerad :LFS is not easy. it takes a lot of practice and patience. I believe LFS has a different target audience than the First Person Shooters out there, after all, the avg LFS racer age is 26>.

Im really not worried.

.....I'm 13 years old, and I drift well. I am the leader/founder of a demo drift team =P
i dont want anymore members 5 min from know no one can register anymore
I guess you mean "5 mins from now" - otherwise that makes no sense at all. Also try and use commas and periods and stuff, it'll save people having to read your post five times before they see what you're getting at
More people · more resources = best live for speed
#23 - SamH
Quote from Crashgate3 :I'd like more people to play as I've only just started and I need someone I can actually beat...

hehe! I hear that!!
Quote from Bob Smith :LFS isn't exclusive, it's just not that well known (compared to racing sims sold in shops and promoted).

I would say the general strength of the community seems a bit weaker than it used to be, when it's small you become a big bunch of mates, sadly that feeling can only go when there's thousands of members chatting away. Us regular old timers will still remember one another though. Just keep coming to the regional meets, or if they don't exist in your country, make them happen.

People will always make friends no matter how big the "community" is. Just the larger the community the more sub-groups there will be.
#25 - SamH
I occasionally see threads where very early LFS participants hanker after the "good old days". Sometimes I've been left wondering who they even were.. I'm that new to LFS. And I guess that's the problem. I'm sure one day I'll hanker after the "good not quite so old as some people but still quite old days". I'm seeing it on YouTube now.. the community has expanded to such an extent that some of the original vloggers are disenchanted. They're no longer as close to the centre of attention they once were, and there's some small resentment of that. It's totally understandable.

I've made a lot of friends online. Some of them, I've made within the LFS community. All of them I thoroughly expect to be racing with, whether surrounded by 1,000 or 100,000 other racers. The only thing I see happening is more teams to lose against, and more populated servers to have fun in. If the community expands to 10s or 100s of Ks of people online at one time, I see absolutely nothing to lose from that.. only good to gain.

(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG