The online racing simulator
iRacing update - Laguna Seca
(32 posts, started )
Thanks Hankstar
Looks nice. Too bad they had to alienate the sim racing community...
That's 1/3 of the tracks I have ever wanted to race in LFS. When they get Bathurst and Mosport I have very hard time to resist
I am actually looking forward to iRacing. Guess it'll cost a bunch of money to buy the game?
Quote from Sternendaal : Guess it'll cost a bunch of money to buy the game?

I suppose if it's meant as practice platform for real teams.
They say they will have 60+ tracks?
Quote from MAGGOT :Looks nice. Too bad they had to alienate the sim racing community...

I don't feel alienated. Looking forward to it. I can't imagine it will be anything other than quality.
Quote from dontsimon :I don't feel alienated. Looking forward to it. I can't imagine it will be anything other than quality.

Have you read of what they have done to some of those in the comunity?
Quote from MAGGOT :Have you read of what they have done to some of those in the comunity?

For christ sake, not that again. What done is done. Keep playing NR2003 or move on.
Actually, I have no idea what they did.

Anyone care to give me a brief summary?
Quote :"The Corkscrew is perhaps the most recognizable turn, or rather pair of turns, in the world," said Scott McKee

"The world", as everybody knows, is a large land mass between the pacific and atlantic oceans, just north of Mexico.
Quote from thisnameistaken :"The world", as everybody knows, is a large land mass between the pacific and atlantic oceans, just north of Mexico.

Quote from thisnameistaken :"The world", as everybody knows, is a large land mass between the pacific and atlantic oceans, just north of Mexico.

Well it is!..or one of the most recognized.
Quote from spookthehamster :Actually, I have no idea what they did.

Anyone care to give me a brief summary?

I dont know either. Help us out?

You win the prize.
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :I dont know either. Help us out?

Found that by using search ()
Quote from ajp71 :God knows how you managed to miss one of the darkest parts of sim racing history. When Sierra was taken over the Papyrus dev team were made redundant. DK then bought the code (but not rights) for N2003 and formed First Racing with some of the Papy dev team as well as some of Project Wildfire (T/A, GNS, CTS mods). They had a beta sign up but very little was heard.

In the mean time Redline were still working on there GTP mod (which had been in development a long time). Then when they released it First complained that it was a breach of the EULA. This soon led to First being known as Fir$t and an altogether not too pleased sim community. After a couple of weeks First allowed Redline to re-release without the skins and tracks so that the mod breached no copyright.

Then DK later issued a statement saying that all mods using a modified exe (plenty in development including JGTC, Funny cars, historic Le Mans, sprint cars, Indy cars etc.) were ilegal and would face a legal challenge from First. At this point most gave in but not TMC McArther who refused to remove his mods, this led to a court case which resulted in both sides claiming victory.

First then came back with iRacing more recently, little is know except what is on the site and that it is likely to be based on the N2003 engine and (controversially) could be a subscription service.

Basically it means that you need a lawyer to read the EULAs and readmes before you agree on anything when you are installing/buying iracin' produkts
Quote : iRacing.com's mission is to create the world's most authentic, most sophisticated, most accurate PC-based racing simulations and advance a new branch of motorsport — known as simracing — through globally sanctioned, real-time, online competition.

Bit slow aren't they??

And Americans call their baseball league "World Series"! Bastards!
Quote from deggis :And Americans call their baseball league "World Series"! Bastards!

Careful Deggis, or they (the cousins!) may think that nobody this side of the pond knows that it is called "The World Series" because it is named after a NEWSPAPER!!
Quote from MAGGOT :Have you read of what they have done to some of those in the comunity?

Of course I know all about the controversy. But there are two sides to that story and the truth lies somewhere between them.

I'm not on either side, I'll race a great sim if it comes out, that's all.
iRacing is by far the most promising sim for the true realism freaks. If this doesn't live up to my expectations I'll be a sad puppy for a good while! It really is 10 steps ahead as far as potential goes than anything we drive at the moment. Expectations have proven to be a bad thing in simracing though, but its hard not to get excited!
I taught myself long ago not to have high expectations of games - in fact my expectations lower in direct proportion to the amount of hype a game or sim receives before its release (same goes for TV shows & movies).

Examples:
GPL: out of distribution by the time my mate showed it to me - now it's my favourite racing game. Ever.
LFS: never heard of it before some GPL'ing friends told me about it - played it, loved it right away.
GTR & rFactor: comparatively big hype - disappointing
GTL: my PC can't even run the demo but damn I'd love to give it a go
nKP: not much hype but I'd played the namie lots and lots and loved it. A few bugs and some glaring PR issues (which was disappointing) but plays wickedly.
iRacing: again, not much hype apart from the occasional email update (hence this thread) but GPL's Dave Kaemmer is on board, so I'm cautiously optimistic. The iRacing guys seem like a pro outfit, appear dead serious about what they're doing and provide updates when something relevant occurs. Hype-o-meter isn't registering that much, so I reckon it'll turn out ok
First rule of IT sales - bulls#$t as much as is needed to sell your product.

Then blame the users equipment, support techs, position of Jupiter etc but promise that the next patch will fix everything and introduce all these amazing features that you must have.

Repeat.

Worked for years for MS. ( As well as many other IT companies )

Anyone want to buy a pre release copy of Duke Nukem Forever ????
Attached images
dilbert2007020523624.jpg

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG