The online racing simulator
Running LFS on Linux, how to?
(49 posts, started )
i know there have been a few threads about it, but i couldnt get very clear informations out of them.
i would like to see if some1 can write an "how-to" and make it sticky cuz i guess im not the only one who has question marks over his head.
afaik the distro doesnt make a big difference or? im running debian.
*waits for some geeks*
It "runs" on Wine, but it isn't really playable. Last time i tried it, the graphics were really bad and the framerate was very low.

Just install Wine (apt-get install wine), and run lfs.exe with it (wine lfs.exe).
Maybe it's useful for server purposes, but for playing the game, forget it.

I used Ubuntu btw.
Quote from frokki :The other option is to buy Cedega (5€ per month).
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstu ... wiki/Cedega_4.2.1-1_howto

But as far as I know, there is no way (at least for us "normal" people) to get force feedback (except some old joysticks?) work in Linux.

paying money for a free OS?
also, as i use mouse to drive, so the no FFB issue isnt a problem for me
Divide the price of your favourite version of Vista by 5(e), and you get helluva lot of months with Cedega with the same price.

The lack of FFB is really unfortunate
Quote from frokki :Divide the price of your favourite version of Vista by 5(e), and you get helluva lot of months with Cedega with the same price.

The lack of FFB is really unfortunate

vista? i wont ever get that
i do have XP and linux why the hell would i want to get vista?
but anyway, im sure there is a way to run it successfull without a lot problems, just gotta wait for the person that knows how to do.
#7 - JTbo
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :vista? i wont ever get that
i do have XP and linux why the hell would i want to get vista?
but anyway, im sure there is a way to run it successfull without a lot problems, just gotta wait for the person that knows how to do.

Get wine installed and working, preferably use wine tools, makes it easier. Make sure you have 3d acceleration available so that direct rendering is on.

Look this thread at end of it I tried to write my problems and solutions to them.

Step by step guide from fresh linux install is bit difficult to do as your distro and gfx card as well as kernel version do affect what should be done and how, also installed packages can be causing bit different things.

But when you have working Wine and working 3d acceleration it is not such big task.
You get LFS package, install it to wine virtual C: drive typing in console wine liveforspeed_patch_v.exe (or what ever name you did save it) in dir where you downloaded package then choose C:\LFS for example where you install it. After installation you go to wine C: drive and LFS dir and type wine LFS.exe and LFS should start normally.
Quote from JTbo :
But when you have working Wine and working 3d acceleration it is not such big task.
You get LFS package, install it to wine virtual C: drive typing in console wine liveforspeed_patch_v.exe (or what ever name you did save it) in dir where you downloaded package then choose C:\LFS for example where you install it. After installation you go to wine C: drive and LFS dir and type wine LFS.exe and LFS should start normally.

yea i do have that, just got a new graphics card yesterday just for linux cuz i couldnt get my radeon 9600 pro installed as ATI cant manage it to give out some proper drivers.
im gonna give this a shot later, thanks
#9 - JTbo
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :yea i do have that, just got a new graphics card yesterday just for linux cuz i couldnt get my radeon 9600 pro installed as ATI cant manage it to give out some proper drivers.
im gonna give this a shot later, thanks

Well, install g++ 4.0 and that older 3.4(?), then get envy (see link in other thread I posted) remove all ati drivers with envy when X is not running and install official ati fglrx driver and you should have 3d acceleration working with 9600, that is how I got it to work with 9550.
nah its alright, ive got now a geforce 7600 GS what is about the same as my radeon 9600.
i let 3 ppl try (all very experienced with linux) but no one was able to get X started once drivers were installed and configured.
we tried different kernels and stuff but no chance.
now its sorted this card was installed in no time, now im just gonna watch if i get lfs to run (will do later today or tomorrow).
hmm, just tried lfs under linux, didnt work :/

Quote :fixmerocess:IsWow64Process (0xffffffff 0x33fb80) stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f2e8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x33f2e8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f2e8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x33f2e8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f108,0x00000000), stub!
wine: Call from 0xb2c2f3 to unimplemented function DDRAW.dll.DdEntry1, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function DDRAW.dll.DdEntry1 called at address 0xb2c2f3 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 8 116") (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
Wine exited with a successful status

oh well, i guess i have to stick to windows for it.
#12 - JTbo
It does work fine on my system. You sure that you had latest Wine installed and 3d acceleration really does work?

glxgears gives lot of fps?

Also is your Wine set up as instructed by Wine tools manual?

There is some howto, I did follow similar way to install mine.

Also make sure you are in LFS dir when starting wine LFS.exe seems to be that it won't work otherwise.
whenever i run glxgears it works without problems, but doesnt show me a framerate anywhere.
-
(Vain) DELETED by Vain
Quote from Vain :Run it from a console. The framerate-output goes to stdout.

Vain

guess what i do

Quote :localhost:~# glxgears
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
localhost:~#

thats all i get once i do stop glxgears
#15 - JTbo
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :whenever i run glxgears it works without problems, but doesnt show me a framerate anywhere.

glxgears -info

I think that did give fps reading when you close it.
Quote from JTbo :glxgears -info

I think that did give fps reading when you close it.

nope doesnt
but enemy territory which is an 3d game does run without problems.
also, -info gave me that
Quote :GL_RENDERER = GeForce 7600 GS/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
GL_VERSION = 2.0.2 NVIDIA 87.76
GL_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation

#17 - JTbo
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :nope doesnt
but enemy territory which is an 3d game does run without problems.
also, -info gave me that

Odd, that glxgears -info prints out fps into console window when it does run. I'm getting whopping 125fps with 9550 radeon, not too fast

What is your wine version?
wine --version gives out

Quote :wine-0.9.30

#19 - JTbo
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :wine --version gives out

Then you have same version.

ddraw error sounds like it is drivers or direct-x emulation, but as you have same version of wine it should be only because of drivers then, I guess

I have added LFS to wine and I'm using windows xp and direct3d settings are hardware and checked that pixel shader box, other setting standard.
winecfg is command where it can be added.

But if that is not getting thing to run, I don't know what is then needed
Quote from [RCG]Boosted : wine: Call from 0xb2c2f3 to unimplemented function DDRAW.dll.DdEntry1, aborting

Looks like a messed up Wine installation. If you're building Wine from source, make sure the configure script finds OpenGL and builds all DirectX dlls properly. If you're installing from binary packages, make sure your installation is complete. It's not unusual for binary distributions to move non-essential parts of Wine, like DirectX dlls, into separate sub-packages.

Start with a clean ~/.wine directory, or use a different WINEPREFIX dedicated for LFS. I prefer the second option, so I can be sure that whatever I install in my default profile won't mess up my LFS installation. It's like having 2 separate Windowses, each with its own directories, registry etc.
i believe its glxgears -printfps to print out framerates, weird that lfs doesnt wanna run, ive had lots of wine versions and it has always worked, even from source, maybe try a binary of an older version, the important is to have direct rendering on and that is the proprietary driver doing the work and not mesa emulation, i heard its kinda complicated for ati people, but nvidia cards should work fine as its pretty straightforward to install the driver.
run glxinfo and check for dri and wich driver is being used.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :but enemy territory which is an 3d game does run without problems.

That's because there's a native linux version of wolf:et.
Quote from Fragmatic :That's because there's a native linux version of wolf:et.

so...? does that mean i dont need 3 d accleration for it?
Quote from Barroso :i believe its glxgears -printfps to print out framerates

yep, that one worked.

Quote :40457 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8091.366 FPS
40932 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8186.388 FPS
41288 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8257.599 FPS
40694 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8138.712 FPS
40808 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8161.532 FPS
39693 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7938.462 FPS
40652 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8130.372 FPS
40457 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8091.281 FPS
40359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8071.768 FPS
40437 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8079.276 FPS
40602 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8120.281 FPS
39531 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7906.083 FPS
40277 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8055.262 FPS

8000 fps? lol
something is wrong there
Not really, GLXgears is a very simple application, and doesn't require much stress.

(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG