The online racing simulator
Removing the S1/S2 separation
(119 posts, started )

Poll : What do you think of "merging" S1 & S2 licenses (see 1st post)?

I agree, let S1 connect only to S2 servers with S1 content.
I disagree, they shoud buy S2, if they want to race on S2 servers with S1 content
I agree, let S1 connect to all servers, but only spectate on S2 tracks.
No one said anything about forcing anything, if you already own S1 your fine but there's very little reason to continue selling S1 licenses, particularly when circumstances make it virtually an offline only test.
There shouldnt be a demo/s1/s2 option before the server list. It should just show every server that you can join based on what content you have paid for. The only problem is when s1 racers are racing on a server when the admin decides he wants s2 cars/tracks.
Quote from tailing :No one said anything about forcing anything, if you already own S1 your fine but there's very little reason to continue selling S1 licenses, particularly when circumstances make it virtually an offline only test.

well this suggestion brings the S1 license holders back into multiplayer... and I say again, for a lot of people it's far more better to buy things in parts...
wow a lot of you must of had a bad week!
There wasn't 38% of spoilsports when I last posted,maybe I missread.

Anyway just had a thought; can s1 drivers upload hotlaps to lfsw?
If they can, its another blow to thouse who say no.
Quote from -wes- :wow a lot of you must of had a bad week!
There wasn't 38% of spoilsports when I last posted,maybe I missread.

Anyway just had a thought; can s1 drivers upload hotlaps to lfsw?
If they can, its another blow to thouse who say no.

Seem so... I'm a bit dissapointed for so many 'no' voices... I thought the main reason for everyone here is to have some nice races in a friendly community, but now it seems that there is a number of people who think they are something more since they paid 12 pounds more... :thumbsdow
What's wrong with the choice no.2 in the poll??
S1 racers for S1 servers...

S2 racers for S2 servers...

Lots of good ideas etc. etc. but at the end of the day if you have paid for an S1 license you should only race on S1 servers. It's like saying "oh well, let the people who haven't paid join in for free because LFS is a community!"

I agree in principle that perhaps S1 racers should be able to see S2 servers that are running S1 tracks with S1 cars but it's not the way it is, those are still S2 servers for S2 licensed racers. It's only £12 and the developers derserve every penny from the upgrade, why the hell would the developers want to spend many more hours integrating the two versions for nothing, i think they would rather spend their time working on bug fixes or maybe looking into the world of S3!

S2 is only a £12 upgrade... the game/sim is well worth it!

Well thats my 12 quids worth
Quote from Ferrari LFS :S2 is only a £12 upgrade... the game/sim is well worth it!

you are forgeting the newcomers who have to pay £24.. and for some of them its too much to pay at once...
but with S1 license only, there is no multiplayer... check S1 servers nowadays...
Chaos you could program a bot replaying always the same text
seriously, it's absolutely not funny... But im confident that the devs will have a good solution for that
Quote from Chaos :you are forgeting the newcomers who have to pay £24.. and for some of them its too much to pay at once...
but with S1 license only, there is no multiplayer... check S1 servers nowadays...

I wasn't forgetting newcomers, i was talking about upgrades...

However my statement still stands...

S1 racers for S1 servers

S2 racers for S2 servers

IMO: S2 at £24 is a quality price...
They have paid to use the S1 content, but they can't use the main part of LFS, the multiplayer. There are S2 servers with S1 content only, why can't they join and use the content they paid for??
i'm not giving any answer to this thread here, but i just wanted to note that all of the people who posted in this thread are S2 licensed, except for 1 guy, Gabkicks.

no-one has mentioned yet that _it actually is a problem_. So, is it? So far I'm not convinced it is. Why are the S1 hosts empty? Maybe because there are barely any active S1 racers in the first place. So why should we go through the trouble of rewriting the whole unlocking code, to provide a non-existing usergroup with an additional feature?

Just shining light from a different perspective here.
Remove requested by Moderator :P
Quote from Lible :S2 wil be cracked anyway, by :moped: , so there is no different.

this is absolutely irrelevant, because even if there would be a crack for online play, you couldn't use it to connect to official servers...
IM ABSOLUTELY sure that they cant play in servers, even if this feature would be added(but it wont)
Well I think most of us knew that there weren't that many s1 drivers playing at the moment.

But only you the dev's will know how many s1 drivers are left out of the total that have bought lfs at some point.

If there is about 30% it may be worth doing to tempt them into paying for s2.

If its about 5% then its time to ditch the option to buy s1 and just leave the upgrade option for existing s1 drivers.

If there are only 10 s1 drivers left; give them a free upgrade! :yikes: And remove all refrences to s1...

It's a pity that this thread didn't show up before s2 was released, as I think the whole idea is mute now.
Quote from Chaos :well this suggestion brings the S1 license holders back into multiplayer... and I say again, for a lot of people it's far more better to buy things in parts...

I heard you the first time, hence me saying 'very little reason' because I don't consider that a minority of people being unable to pay 24 pounds at once much of a reason to continue selling S1. There's also always budgeting and saving up for things.
All I'm saying is all things considered if it were up to me I'd remove the option to buy S1 but of course it's not up to me.
Quote from snewham :If you want S2 content, by S2. It's 12 pounds.

Amen Brother! I remember upon deciding to get S1 or not, i checked out various videos people had made from it and you could more than get an idea for what you were in for.

Same goes for S2, there are the ACE promotional videos and also fans are making their own excellent ones all the time.

If you want S2 content, by S2. It's 12 pounds.
what else can you get with 12pounds..........
True that. LFS demo users and S1 licienced drivers have access to S2 Content movies which should be enough for them to buy it as well as all the chat that occurs in the chatbox, so if they want S2, they should pay the extra 12 pounds. Well worth it definately!
Quote from Lible :S2 wil be cracked anyway, by :moped: , so there is no different.

Ok, you want to take that outside, or do you want me to do it ?!
The licence system is fine ... you get the content you pay for

With the way LFS's development is, it should have been expected that S1 would all but die when S2 was released

What i do think is missing from the demo however is a GTR class car ... understand this is questionable not wanting to give demo racers too much content ... but on several occasions introducing friends to LFS, they were not convinced to buy S2 based on the GTT.

Having the XR-GTR in the demo would more accurately reflect what S2 is all about imo

It could also be considered the one concession for the few remaining S1 licence holders gaining a piece of S2 and tempt them to upgrade ... ?
#96 - Woz

LOL, even if you could crack the game to unlock you would not be able to play online at all so there is no point cracking LFS.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
As was said earlier in the thread, I don't think this is the case at all. There are already a TON of movies out there that show the S2 cars and tracks. Anyone who's got the demo can easily see what they're missing out on. Most of the people who play the demo are doing it because they're too cheap to buy the full game. Many of these guys have been playing the LFS demo for months or even YEARS with just three cars and one track. Allowing them to spectate S2 races isn't going to magically make them pony up the money for the full version.

Other than the fact that wreckers are so common, the demo is just fine as it is.
Best idea ive heard so far is to merge the lists. Let me clarify a little

No option to select which liscence level

Demo users get demo servers.

S1 clients see S1 servers (s1 being those with only S1 content available)

S2 clients see S1 and S2 servers in a single list (no marking for differentiation)

this idea allows S1 users to at least race on servers that are populated and simply makes the s1 content only servers in s2 unneccisary.

This is probably the simplest solution, and the one that will make the most people the happiest. S1 racers get thier races, s2 drivers get to keep thier elitist separation (keeping S1 drivers out of S2 races).

if its an s2 based server running only S1 content i fail to see the harm in letting someone who paid for THAT content use it. A nice appology popup would be nice if the server changed to a non-s1 track, but thats just being nice.

in short, one server list, populated servers, happy customers
Quote from Chaos :And it would be a good marketing move, cause people say £24 is too much. Buy S1 license for £12, see what it is like in S2 and very likely he will buy S2 too...

Do people really say that? In a world where XBox games sell for up to 50 pounds, does anyone seriously argue that 24 pounds is too pricey?
Quote from jtr99 :Do people really say that? In a world where XBox games sell for up to 50 pounds, does anyone seriously argue that 24 pounds is too pricey?

problem is that in some countries you have to work a lot longer to earn 24 pounds, than in others...

Removing the S1/S2 separation
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG