The online racing simulator
FZ50 Rear Spoiler?
(108 posts, started )
Current road cars are tame as well as the GTR classes, LFS needs more brutal cars, for example a road car class at ~500hp and a race car class at 700+ hp.

So I say no for FZ5 wings and other bastardization of it.
A rear wing is pointless without a front wing or similar, which would make it look like the FZR. So, erm, no. If you can't drive it, just learn to drive better.
The only time i ever have trouble with the rear end of the FZ50 is if i break for a corner like a n00b

EDIT: Or spell 'brake' like a n00b for that matter, lol.
Quote from pasibrzuch :Tristan will just set it to 0* and beat you all.

No, he will set it to 0*, beat everyone, but his laptimes will be slower because even at 0* it is still there. I would like an option to remove the spoiler off a car. There should be a toggle button next to the wing settings.
Couldn't it be a retractable sort of spoiler? Surely Eric can manage one that doesn't spoil the FZ50's lines..
The FZ50 is fine as it is, the fact it is so heavy isn't going to be magically changed by an understeer inducing spoiler.

What we need is an older less heavy whale tail FZ...
so you mean turbo eh? then ill buy s2 or s3 when it comes out im kidding ill buy s2 on october 30th 2007 MY BORTHDAY yea i know the spellings wrong
Quote from pasibrzuch :Tristan will just set it to 0* and beat you all.

Blimey, I wasn't expecting my name to come up in this thread. Since when have I claimed to be that quick? I think the FZ5 is fine as it is without a wing, and I doubt my (lack of) driving skills will make me quicker relative to the next guy if a girly wing was added.
Quote from tristancliffe :I doubt my (lack of) driving skills will make me quicker relative to the next guy if a girly wing was added.

C'mon, have some self-confidence!

(BTW, I agree about the girly wing)
Quote from Hyperactive :
The closest Porsche to FZ50 is the 911 Carrera S which does not have rear wing in real life (as standard).

The wing is built in when the car goes over like 75 mph it rises from the engine cover (Just a little spoiler)
Quote from S14 DRIFT :The wing is built in when the car goes over like 75 mph it rises from the engine cover (Just a little spoiler)

+1 for the FZ50. With such a spoiler we wouldnt have problems with skinning
Quote from Anathema :+1 for the FZ50. With such a spoiler we wouldnt have problems with skinning

Actually there would be, Porsche style wing needs to have skinning possible on top of it and under, as well as on the trunk.

E: see video.
Isn't there plenty of space left on the texture?
It would work the same as the formulas' wings' top and underside mapping.
#39 - wark
Quote from S14 DRIFT :The wing is built in when the car goes over like 75 mph it rises from the engine cover (Just a little spoiler)

That is so not cool. If a cop sees you with the wing up that's enough 'probable cause' for him to pull you over and give you a ticket regardless of other circumstances!

Oh, and the FZ don't need no stinkin' wing. I'd sooner have it off of the GTR.
The LXs don't need canopies either..
Quote from wark :That is so not cool. If a cop sees you with the wing up that's enough 'probable cause' for him to pull you over and give you a ticket regardless of other circumstances!

Would you seriously get pulled over in the states for having a speed activated spoiler up?
#42 - JTbo
Quote from ajp71 :Would you seriously get pulled over in the states for having a speed activated spoiler up?

Also I think that there was switch where you could lift it up even at lower speeds. Also it does go back in after speed comes down so it won't stay up until car is stopped or anything like that.

Still stupid invention, wings are not for cars, if car won't stay on road without wing it has too low air resistance or just badly designed underside, or what ever.
Quote from JTbo :
Still stupid invention, wings are not for cars, if car won't stay on road without wing it has too low air resistance or just badly designed underside, or what ever.

Yes, yes we know, cars should be the shape of brick and made in Sweden we know...

#44 - wark
Right, I was just making fun of the dumb excuses cops make to pull people over in LA. We have a law where you can't be fined unless the cop has a reason to pull you over, i.e. he must first use his own speedometer or a radar to verify that you are speeding. If you blow past a parked cop at twice the limit you're fine as long as he wasn't pointing a radar gun at you (and provided you slow down before he does--or he catches up to you). I knew a guy who got caught with a lot of drugs in his car but got off scot-free because "looking suspicious" wasn't a good enough reason to get pulled over.

I also agree with JTbo. Cars should get undertrays; diffusers &c. before they get comparatively gasoline-wasting wings.
Quote from ajp71 :Would you seriously get pulled over in the states for having a speed activated spoiler up?

99% of the US has a speed limit of 65 or 70 mph, so if you have a wing raised up that raises up at 75 mph, then it's obvious you are speeding. Normally 7mph over the limit you can get away with. But with that type of car and the wing showing all, you probably wouldn't.

I was told in Pennsylvania as I was pulled over doing 72 mph, that anything over 72 mph, they are required to issue a ticket. Between 65 and 72, I guess it would depend on how much you kiss the officer's you-know-what.
Didn't they used to have an override button, so you can raise the spoiler all the time? Partly for cleaning, and partly so if the police get you on the basis of the spoiler being up you can just tell them you'd pressed the button?

Or did I dream that?
#47 - JTbo
Quote from tristancliffe :Didn't they used to have an override button, so you can raise the spoiler all the time? Partly for cleaning, and partly so if the police get you on the basis of the spoiler being up you can just tell them you'd pressed the button?

Or did I dream that?

That is exactly what I remember too, we both can't remember wrong for sure

@Blackout, sure that would be best option, however there is so many uncivilized people that don't understand true beauty that unfortainly that would not work so under trays and diffusers are 2nd best options, wings are something so ugly and artificial that really don't need to see those, also worst racing accidents have happened to car with wings for reason, they try to overcome perfection with add on parts, so when wing effect is lost results are catastrophic also speeds are more than car can seriously handle if wings are used. Uuups, forgot and
Quote from mrodgers :99% of the US has a speed limit of 65 or 70 mph, so if you have a wing raised up that raises up at 75 mph, then it's obvious you are speeding. Normally 7mph over the limit you can get away with. But with that type of car and the wing showing all, you probably wouldn't.

In the UK are speed limits may now be nearing as ridiculously low as yours but you do still at least need to be actually clocked speeding, not just vaguely look like you are. How are the officers meant to know that a 911 spoiler operates at 75mph? Even if they do how can they guarantee the system is working.

The only time that kind of thing could be used in the UK is maybe as an indication of speed if it can be proved the wing was up and working at the time of a serious accident, that's about the only time I can think of, you'd certainly never be given a speeding ticket or have it used as concrete evidence of speed
Quote from JTbo :Also I think that there was switch where you could lift it up even at lower speeds. Also it does go back in after speed comes down so it won't stay up until car is stopped or anything like that.

Do you know anything about areodynamics? A car is a wing, the path over the car is longer then the path under the car. If enough air is allowed under the car it will have the same lifting propperties as a poorly designed aircraft wing. The reason we use lower valances and airdams is to limit the air under the car and thus create a low pressure zone to overcome the lifting force the shaps of the car has.

The other primary issues is that most cars, the FZ included are areodynamicly backwards. The rain drop is a perfect aerodynamic shape, its the same shape a a symetrical wing. Nof if you try to fly a plane with the wing profile backwards it will want to flip over. Many sporty cars if the traction is overcome will also want to swap ends at high speed. This happened some years ago when someone tried to set a world land speed record in a GM Trans-am. It swapped ends and took off in to the air. Had is had more down force on the rear of the car it would have not prevented the car from findng the more effiecnt aerodynamic profile.

If you think cars do not need wings when traveling at higher speed you are kidding yourself. The Porsche has an additional issue just like the FZ. Since its a Rear engine RWD much of the weight is in the back. What happens when you try to shoot an arrow backwords, or throw a weighted stick light side first. It swaps ends. Learn some physics and aerodynamics before to make yourself look stupid again.
#50 - JTbo
Quote from Gimpster :Do you know anything about areodynamics?

LOL, you certainly missed whole thing by million miles there.

I know that we can get car stick to roof at high speed with wings, but cars are not meant to stick on damn roofs, if you need wings, you are either driving too fast or driving badly. If you like to go faster get a plane

If car has lift, it is bad design, no need for wings, just revamp design.

FZ50 Rear Spoiler?
(108 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG