The online racing simulator
There is clutch damage in LFS!
(42 posts, started )
Being bored, I decided to fool around with LFSTweak & Quarter Mile Challenge.

One of my bright ideas was to use the clutch, and slip it all the way down the track. Much to my surprize, after a few failed attemps, I noted that I had "engine damage". But wait! It wasn't that, as there was no popcorn sound - and now the clutch pedal didn't work any more, and actually just really slowly I could see the clutch pedal indicator rising for no reason. Strange. So I decided to try again - after a couple of practice launches - same thing.

So, next step was to make sure I wasn't just "damaging the engine". I left the gas pedal to keep the RPMs down to reasonable range (below redline) and kept the brakes on, and partially disengaged the clutch (basically trying to "burn it out"), and lo and behold the same thing! It helps to have an 8000 HP car with sizable tires. My only other thought was that somehow the huge power of the engine was wrecking itself, but that doesn't explain the clutch axis behaviour.

I am now off to see if I can wreck the clutch in a normal car.

Edit: HAH, it works! I burned out the clutch in the FXR by setting high brake strenght and beating on the clutch as described above. It only takes about a minute!

Edit 2: wtf, then it comes back... Something is weird.

Edit 3: umm, ok. I can't seem to reproduce this any longer. WTH. Something strange happened here. I don't understand, it happened numerous times, then the same thing in the FXR... I should probably delete this post :

And NO, I am not high / drunk / under the influence of any narcotic/hypnotic/barbituate/amphetamine or any mind altering substance of any sort
Interesting. Glad I use auto-clutch!
#3 - Gunn
What pedals are you using for your clutch?
G25

I tried it again I think I better see a shrink :rolleyes:
no, there is no clutch damage.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :and actually just really slowly I could see the clutch pedal indicator rising for no reason. Strange. So I decided to try again - after a couple of practice launches - same thing.

This is LFS. The clutch in LFS is still automatic, regardless if you have auto-clutch turned off. This is because we don't have stalling engines still, so the clutch is still engaged by the computer to prevent any strange behavior. The auto-clutch option is just for the shifting aspect. The rolling and coasting in the wrong gear still is affected by an automatic clutch.

What you are seeing is just the clutch coming slightly on when it 'technically' needs to be engaged because of the absence of a stalling/bogging engine. I see it all the time. Sometimes it is quite annoying too. I see it the most in the FXR because it has a lot of rolling resistance.

So yeah, there isn't damage, this is just the auto-clutch playing mind games on you
Could someone please delete this thread before the masses see it :ashamed: :worried: :guilty: :dopey:

BOB?

Man, this is gay.

At least everyone will have a good laugh at me being a dumbass, thus experiencing boosted morale to start the day when the other half of the world wakes up shortly!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :At least everyone will have a good laugh at me being a dumbass, thus experiencing boosted morale to start the day when the other half of the world wakes up shortly!

:smileyrai
you know nelson from the simpsons dont you ?
Ball Bearing Turbo - that's like 3 threads in a row that you've made a reference to me. I think you're getting a complex. Or perhaps just envious of my wicked personality and stunning good looks.... ok I might only be half right there.

Anyway, this is an interesting if un-revelatory read, I'm not deleting the thread. Or unbanning kid, for that matter.
I'm having a good laugh at Jeff being a dumass!
But maybe it is true... anyone was damaging clutch for fun in 8000hp car?

In insane condition there are weird things going on....
Including self pushing burning clutch. Who knows, who knows
i'm not sure about clutch damage but after a nonstop 500km driving my left leg was missing the clutch pedal and when i try to make fast up or downshifts, i suck (: yesterday i had a terrible accident...

but there is a need of improvement at damaging in lfs. clutch, transmission, etc (: hell yeah
Quote from Kendercik :but there is a need of improvement at damaging in lfs. clutch, transmission, etc (: hell yeah

Sure. Those are on Scawen's list for sure, but unfortunently adding those things need lots of coding to be done properly, so I wouldn't start holding my breath just yet.
I hadn't check the improvement suggestions topic yet. But I'm sure coding staff has to work a lot to make such realistic stuff.

In LFS I trust!
Quote from Kendercik :I But I'm sure coding staff has to work a lot to make such realistic stuff.

Yeah, coding staff hahahahaa
what's that funny? If it's my English, then there isn't any problem.

Is there any coder?
#19 - joen
Quote from Kendercik :what's that funny? If it's my English, then there isn't any problem.

Is there any coder?

I think it's just about that you talk about a coding staff, which implies there's actually some sort of "coding department" at LFS, while it's just one, although very talented, coder
I see... whatever. I didn't knew him as I still don't know him. But I liked him a lot (:
@ this thread
I think ive noticed carpet wear in the footwell of the uf1000, infact im sure of it!

edit: no it was just dust on my monitor

Simon
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm having a good laugh at Jeff being a dumass!

Well, at least I've learned one thing from this thread. That BBT's name is Jeff.

It's always nice to know the racers by their actual names rather than the sometimes silly screennames we see.
I dont anderstand what are you talking about . I use manual clutch and sekuetial gearbox. I downshift sometims 2 gear at the time. I use clutch on button. And I never had any problems. So...
Quote from N I K I :I dont anderstand what are you talking about . I use manual clutch and sekuetial gearbox. I downshift sometims 2 gear at the time. I use clutch on button. And I never had any problems. So...

Maybe you should spend more time learning English(especially spelling),and less time behind the wheel?
sorry for off topic

On topic: I can't wait for LFS to have actual clutch damage.....

(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG