The online racing simulator
#26 - Osco
Quote from Bladerunner :Hands up EVERYBODY who has recently spent ~£150 on a new steering wheel, just to play LFS??....mmm....thought so!!

Also bought a wheel after playing the demo for a few hours.. Then paid €225 for my G25 shipped, and for unlocking S2 obviously, thats it

monyewise then..
I've played US$60 for a DFP, and also $48 for the S2 license, that's it.
I'm playing it on my personal freelance-job 24" Imac, using bootcamp to run WinXP for it.

Actually you can't complain much, still it is the cheapest way to experience racing, thro it's still not real, but we've enjoyed it, right? Personally when I get back to my home country and kart-racing on a track, it already costs me over US$150 per racing day, not including the practicing and whatever.
Not much really... I dont buy as many other games as i did before, but ive had for LFS...

License: £24
Nvidia Graphics Card: £120
Speakers: £25
G25: £205

Momo Steering wheel about 3 years ago, ~$100

After I saw the light (again), my upgraded 1.8ghz P4, 1GB PC2700 w/9600xt was given to my parents with with new 2.8ghz Northwood P4. Cost ~$200

New rig last september AMD X2 4800+ @ 2.61GHz, 2GB DDR400, X850Xt, etc etc, ~$1100

So recently my low res 1280x768 Dell 17" lcd widescreen tv wasn't quite doing the job, so it was replaced with a new Viewsonic 22" w.s. 1680x1050 LCD plus some other gadjets ~$360

So the X850Xt is awesome, but it bogs down abit because I've become spoiled and use 8xAA and 16xAF All the time, so I'm thinking about a new 8800GTS would be ~$350

And I want a G25 $300

And I want another pc so I can lan some friends in my aptmnt... ~$600

So i've spent close to $1700, and will probably spend another $1300 before too long.

Yikes... at least i'm helping the economy...

LFS saved me money... yea right.
1 g25 @£169, the other £ 1000 went on trying to feed the monster that is FSX,, and It's still hungry.
So far LFS has cost me close to £3000 / 5,838.07 USD / 4,479.72 EUR in total :rolleyes:
What I've spent on hardware (wheels, PC upgrades etc) I've saved on not buying other games. LFS has cost me nothing at all - if anything I'm in pocket because of it.
Hmm..how much have I saved??

Never have I spent sooo much on my gaming hardware!

None of it makes me any faster though.
I can't say that I've saved any money because of LFS. It did sort of cost me some money though - I bought rFactor directly as a result of my interest in LFS. Got over it in a week, uninstalled, never to be seen again. Character-building Apart from that, owning LFS (and GPL) set my race-sim standards pretty high, which prevented me from buying GTR and any more console-based "sims". I bought nKPro but it's dormant at the moment except for the odd hot-lap.

I already had a good PC and a Momo wheel for GPL when I first heard about LFS (late '02 I think). Haven't spent a penny on upgrades since then (had to replace my failed HD though) and my wheel still works fine (praise the miracle that is gaffer tape!).
#35 - ev0
I normally build a new system once a year, so I built myself a monster system last year, and my only hardware upgrade for LFS has been a g25 (money well spent imho)

Unless Microsoft hurry and remove Vista from beta status, ie release sp1, I suspect I might skip the yearly build this time though, purely because there are no new games coming out that I really want to play and this system handles LFS and all my work applications perfectly. In this case, LFS will save me money.

BUT if you work on the TIME = MONEY equasion, LFS has cost me a fortune so far, and I have only had it for a month! (still money well spent though )
i havent saved that much :P
since S2:
i bought a driving force pro for like $250 because my formula force gp hand-me-down wasnt cutting it(no force feedback).

then two months later i bought a $280 AUD desk from ikea to use with my steering wheel

then october 06' rolled along and i bought a g25 for $499 AUD (When i could have paid 440 if i waited one week and checked other stores)

just recently i bought some Logitech premium usb headphones which were for late night driving marathons - $50

so this game cost me $1079

but it was very worth it
I personally have managed to save a lot of money as my pc system is 5 years old and the most frequent game I play on it is LFS.

I still have athlon xp 2600, a7n8x board, radeon 9800pro and havent really upgraded anything apart from buying my self a new hdd. I spent the £70 to get my momo racing 3 years ago and that was probably about it.

So I think i have saved a lot of money over the years thanks to the great entertaiment LFS has given me so I didnt need to seek any other games to satisfy my needs..

mad
I saved alot of my school money (for buying food at canteen), my weekly money etc.

Its about half year I've collected money just to buy LFS S2...
Right now...targeting for..

Logitech G25 : RM1200 in my country currency
S2 : I've spend around RM165 in my country currency

It's expensive here, because our money is cheaper..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG