The online racing simulator
This morning all good - after seeing the server shut down for a while -Ive raced on a few servers - very smooth very slick.

Not really many racers on line at present - Ive gotta go out abut wil be back this aft to race on a few populated servers, when theres heavier traffic.

Things look to be on the up

Edited on return -

Just joined up again 5 pm - servers quite busy - same old situation... 1/2 a race - booted.... another 3 laps booted.
Just raced for a happy almost 2 hours on the STCC server... Upto 15 people in a race.

I was not disconnecting - but several others did.

Bear in mind this was between 7:30 am - 9:30 am on a sunday - hardly peak time.

So over the last few days - I have had little success at peak times - good success at none peak times.

So to deduce from that -

Either its my connection/ISP that is the cause - band width shaping/throttling - or just not able to compete with other connections trying to get to the laster server.

Or - its the master server now being over subscribed.

Over the past few days - the server has been relocated to a "Server House" - away from its old location. The move seemed to have gone well. As part of the move - all the old version users - were asked to patch up to patch V - meaning the whole community would now be on patch V. (I dont know if that would have a significant factor - but its a point to consider.) The U30 and previous users were running on the old server - asking them to patch up would increase traffic though the new master server.

Yesterday mornings shut down showed an interesting graph on LFSW world - showing 250 users like ghosts in the server - personally I dont think they are "ghosts" I think the stats board read that as it last reading and due to no stats continued to read that figure (however I hope to be proved wrong.)

All in all...

There are a couple of factors that I have no knowledge about.

What is the capacity of the master server?
What are the band width limits within the server house its in?
Has the move putting all the "online components" togethor, actually brought to the surface a couple of floors in the system?

Regardless - it seems a bit strange that lots of people have the issue... its a good thing to check out the tracert, and pinging the server but - provide info for the devs to use.

They are either quite happily not knowing theres a problem - or they are working behind the scenes like mad - burning the mid night oil - trying to fix the issue.

Im hoping they will provide a statement soon that will clear up the issue.
Quote from Widdowmaker :What is the capacity of the master server?
What are the band width limits within the server house its in?
Has the move putting all the "online components" togethor, actually brought to the surface a couple of floors in the system?

I believe it runs on the same server as LFSWorld or the main website. So there's plenty of capacity and more than enough bandwidth there. Trust me, Victor has stated many times in the past, both publically and non-publically that bandwidth and capacity is not an issue.

Things have kinda been consolidated. This is an irrelevant question though, due to how LFS works.

Seriously you've already answered your own question and it looks like you're continuing to search, as if you want a problem to be within LFS?

I highly doubt that a dev will publically comment on the slowness factors again, purely because they've spoken on the subject before and had the exact same response that everyone else gets - they the person(s) affected think they're talking bollocks because "everything else runs fine".
I understand your point AA - no issue there bud.

No - I am not hoping the problem lies within LFS - it's only because thats where I am in my break down of where I am in realtion to sorting out my problem... for the following reasons.

1) the LFS Dev are superb at there job - but there not infallible...
2) Having a fix within LFS would the easiest and most effiecient way to go - because my problems have only occured since the master server move.
3) Sticking ones head in the sand and ignoring an issue is not the way to go.
4) The 1 defining factor between all parties is the fact that they are all having the same issue .ie connecting to master server and not being able to play consistantly on line - not just at peak times (like myself)

Although - I am currently still awaiting a formal response from my ISP.

You seem abit vexed though AA. No need to be.
Quote from Widdowmaker :Although - I am currently still awaiting a formal response from my ISP.

You seem abit vexed though AA. No need to be.

Meh. I'm having a crap weekend and seem to be taking it out on everyone else. I apologise.

Unfortunately I don't think you're going to get a nice response from your ISP. I generally deal with a fair few of them on a weekly / monthly basis and tend to only get a load of crap in response. Perhaps thats just the way I deal with them, but as a time honoured sceptic, I doubt it.

The thing is that LFS has a reasonably large user base, and everytime something happens - like a new patch comes out, the masterserver moves, or blips for a moment, everyone assumes that it is the cause. Generally it's not so I'm afraid. Coincidences suck
#31 - SamH
Quote from Widdowmaker :2) Having a fix within LFS would the easiest and most effiecient way to go - because my problems have only occured since the master server move.

Sorry but this doesn't make any sense. Having a fix where the problem IS would be the easiest and most efficient way to go. No other fix will come close to addressing the problem.

Since it's already very well established that the problem is not with the master server, since you can see servers in the Master Server list, and the problem is actually connecting to servers themselves, and maintaining a connection with them, there is no fix from LFS that will ever resolve this problem. There is nothing TO fix, in LFS.

I do think you're frustrated by the problem you're having, and I can totally understand that. I'm really glad I'm not in your situation, I'd be driven spare. But with that said, it's clear that you're desperate for a solution (which can only come from your ISP) and you're really just thrashing about anywhere that might listen and jump in to help, specifically because you're being brick-walled by your ISP. I hear you, I sympathise, but nothing is going to happen until Pipex respond proactively to your connection issue with a solution. No-one else can do it.. no matter how much you attempt to shift the blame away from the crappy service you're receiving from the Great Wall Of Pipex.
Thanks for the comments guys - I am frustrated - thats clear but the last thing I want to do is have "beefs" with anyone - so I am attempting to keep the thread constructive- not spamming - but putting up what I consider to be usefull info to other users of the forum. (if they choose to read it of course.)

Ive just read the other post regarding a congested exchange and Im kinda hoping the issue is the same with me.

For now - Ill leave this thread here - I think more than enough people are aware.

Thanks...
Having similar drama... Just tried connecting to the GURU server to test the low port theory. Connected using 4307 (I think, was in the 4000's anyway), and it worked fine. So could be the ISP.

I've fired off an email to the Nildram tech monkey's, and i'll keep 'em crossed. Good to know i'm not the only unfortunate with drama.
#34 - mr_x
I'm having exactly the same problems as Widdowmaker, it also started happening after the master server move, and I've notcied A LOT more people disconnecting because of time-outs on servers.

I am with Pipex on their 2mb service, I don't have any problems with them at all everything works fine (DoD:S, rFactor, RACE) apart from LFS.

I've read through all this thread and what Widdowmaker is saying is pretty much exactly the same as me, apart from I haven't contacted the ISP yet.

EDIT: I also get alot of 'no reply' on the server list alot of the time... every 1 in 3 (ish) servers comes up as a no reply.
Quote from mr_x :I'm having exactly the same problems as Widdowmaker, it also started happening after the master server move, and I've notcied A LOT more people disconnecting because of time-outs on servers.

I am with Pipex on their 2mb service, I don't have any problems with them at all everything works fine (DoD:S, rFactor, RACE) apart from LFS.

I've read through all this thread and what Widdowmaker is saying is pretty much exactly the same as me, apart from I haven't contacted the ISP yet.

EDIT: I also get alot of 'no reply' on the server list alot of the time... every 1 in 3 (ish) servers comes up as a no reply.

This is the problem I've been having, although I've had it since I changed my ISP to an ADSL provider (a big name company). I've contacted them, but not hopeful of it being resolved.
#36 - mr_x
I just tried the GURU server with the low port, I was connected for about 10-15 mins then it lagged out.

another thing I forgot to mention is the master server list refreshes very very slowly.
Also been trying the GURU server, actually got a connection, but lagged out 3 times. Better than the STCC servers at least.

Tried the WinMTR program Bean0 suggested. I think I see a problem

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| ge0-1.lonap.lon.rapidswitch.com - 1 | 113 | 112 | 0 | 16 | 1890 | 0 |

| ge0-1.lonap.lon.rapidswitch.com - 100 | 113 | 1 | 1781 | 1781 | 1781 | 1781 |

| 84.12.224.33 - 2 | 113 | 111 | 31 | 41 | 125 | 32 |

| 62.72.137.13 - 2 | 112 | 110 | 31 | 43 | 172 | 32 |

| 62.72.137.30 - 2 | 112 | 110 | 31 | 42 | 125 | 32 |

| 193.203.5.86 - 6 | 112 | 106 | 31 | 96 | 1579 | 32 |

| ge-2-24.pup.mer.lon.rapidswitch - 2 | 112 | 110 | 31 | 43 | 188 | 188 |

| rdns1.ukct.net - 1 | 112 | 111 | 31 | 43 | 125 | 63 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

Hmmmmm
#38 - mr_x
here's my WinMTR thing... hmmmm

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| www.routerlogin.com - 0 | 123 | 123 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| l1.ar01.hx4.dsl.pipex.net - 46 | 122 | 67 | 15 | 28 | 62 | 32 |
| ge-0-0-0-0.cr01.hx4.dsl.pipex.net - 1 | 122 | 121 | 15 | 24 | 32 | 31 |
| pc3.cr05.hx2.bb.pipex.net - 0 | 122 | 122 | 15 | 26 | 110 | 31 |
| ge0-1.lonap.lon.rapidswitch.com - 0 | 122 | 122 | 15 | 67 | 1922 | 31 |
| ge-2-24.pup.mer.lon.rapidswitch - 0 | 122 | 122 | 15 | 27 | 47 | 32 |
| rdns1.ukct.net - 0 | 122 | 122 | 15 | 28 | 32 | 31 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

I've been having a dig through the forums of ThinkBroadband.com (Ex-ADSLGuide.org) and have come across this in the Nildram section.

It *may* explain some of the issues people have been seeing recently.

Quote :Please be advised that to enable an essential network upgrade, BT will be carrying out planned engineering work on 4000 exchanges starting Mon 29 January 2007 over a period of 8 weeks.

The engineering work will be conducted between the hours of 00:01 - 06:00 each night and customers on scheduled individual DSLAM's should expect to experience a downtime period of approximately 30 minutes. The maintenance work will only effect the DSLAM's scheduled for maintenance, and will affect all users connected to them no matter which ISP the user is with.

If you find you are unable to connect to your broadband service after the work has been completed, we would appreciate it if you could fully reboot your broadband equipment by powering down for a minimum of 30 seconds before switching it back on and trying to re-connect again.

We would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kind Regards

Karla
<n>ildram Customer Support

Quote :If you'd like to see a spreadsheet containing the complete list of exchanges, it's available for download here ...

http://broadband.nildram.net/d ... rades_29thJan_21stMar.xls

*Note - some exchanges are listed as being affected during the work on more than one evening. We would expect this will be where BT are working on different DSLAMs in the exchange on different days.

JasonJ <n>

Viewable on a webpage here.

Another thought I had was about so-called 'peak time'.
A few ISPs now are aggressively traffic shaping during what they class as 'peak time', generally 0800-2200 (or 0000), so what you have the soon as this period is over is everyone firing up their p2p at once to get decent speeds.

This may or may not be relevant, but I thought I'd sling it up anyway
That explains a lot Beano... my exchange was listed as being sorted on the 1st of Feb - which ties in exactly (virtually) with when my internet stopped working correctly.

Many thanks....
#41 - mr_x
my local exchange isn't going to be done until the 21st... so no reason why mine should be playing up too.

I phoned Pipex this morning and they want an email with game server info so they can run their own tests, going to send them the results of the WinMTR tests I've done too, all of them have the same problem at the same part.

EDIT: I may have just by chance fixed my connection... I rebooted the router and the internet connection connected me to a different gateway IP, and now it all seems to be working just fine! Intstead of 'l1.ar01.hx4.dsl.pipex.net' I'm now connected to 'l1.ar03.hx4.dsl.pipex.net'

I'll keep an eye on it see what happens.
Mr X - I did emailed Pipex as requested - and Im still waiting for a response a week later....

Im still waiting for a respones from the sales regarding upgrading to a 6 meg line....

Not the best customer service I have ever had
Quote from mr_x :I rebooted the router and the internet connection connected me to a different gateway IP, and now it all seems to be working just fine! Intstead of 'l1.ar01.hx4.dsl.pipex.net' I'm now connected to 'l1.ar03.hx4.dsl.pipex.net'

Ive done the same a few times - but never checked if anything changed apart from the pings and nodes.. however Im still on #4... but my line speed has changed from 1.8meg - to 2.2meg.. hmmmm
#44 - mr_x
Quote from Widdowmaker :Ive done the same a few times - but never checked if anything changed apart from the pings and nodes.. however Im still on #4... but my line speed has changed from 1.8meg - to 2.2meg.. hmmmm

to me it seems like it's a problem with some of the Pipex servers. Or at least that's what seems logical to me now.
I can at last say my issues are over...... I can connect at full speed with no lag issues - or disconnects. The master server list drops in within 30 secs - no issues...

And still no response from Pipex.......

Thanks for all your help chaps - even though it got damn frustrating during the weekend - I can spend this weekend - happily blasting around the servers (hopefully).
#46 - SamH
Did it fix itself or is it something you did that finally cleared it up? Knowing the solution will give this thread some extra value for future reference.
#47 - mr_x
all I did was reconnected and used WinMTR to check for loss. If loss was at 0% i left it, if there was loss I re-connected again until I was on a different pipex server/gateway/whatever it is.

however this morning when i got up I went on the CLC servers and had bad lag spikes again, ran WinMTR and i was getting loss again, my internet didn't re-connect all night it was still connected to the same gateway/server, so might be worth checking WinMTR when you first use the internet. If it comes up with loss then simply reconnect until it doesn't anymore.
Quote from SamH :Did it fix itself or is it something you did that finally cleared it up? Knowing the solution will give this thread some extra value for future reference.

All I can say is that it came back to full service just the same as it went crappy.

Ive had a response from my ISP - they said they didnt recieve an email from me - I replied giving them all the info I had 0 including the Lycos Page that was posted above - and they said they knew nothing of the work going on.

I am about to go online and check that all is stil working now - Ill edit this post if it isnt any good.

Cheers
#49 - SamH
Quote from Widdowmaker :Ive had a response from my ISP - they said they didnt recieve an email from me

This bit made me chuckle a bit.. if they didn't receive the email you sent, I hope you raised a new ticket.. "some emails I send aren't delivered - confirmed to be a problem by Pipex staff. FIX IT!"

Hope things are good now
Yep all was good earlyer - had to rush out tho so couldnt get back on line... grrrr damn work... lol

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG