The online racing simulator
Skins
(48 posts, started )
Skins
Hi , The skins we download from other players are so cheap and dirty , why they cannot be beter quality ?
#2 - Jakg
Next quality setting = 1024*1024 = four TIMES the bandwidth, aka sleepy-time for dial-up users

Most games would charge per month for features like this (cough *r2p* cough), i'm just glad we get it free!
Quote from RudolfR :Hi , The skins we download from other players are so cheap and dirty , why they cannot be beter quality ?

Maybe you can send every player an email asking them to use higher quality skins when they race online? Really, quality of downloaded skins has nothing to do with the game whatsoever, do you not realise that?
This has to go in the records as the most ridiculous improvement suggestion of the year.
maybe an option in the misc options..."Download 512x512 Skins, Download 1024x1024 Skins" Etc.
#5 - Davo
Quote from al heeley :Maybe you can send every player an email asking them to use higher quality skins when they race online? Really, quality of downloaded skins has nothing to do with the game whatsoever, do you not realise that?
This has to go in the records as the most ridiculous improvement suggestion of the year.

Sure it has to do with the game. 512 skins don't look as good as 1024. If we could download 1024 skins off LFSW the cars would look way better because the detail would be kept.
uhh... 512x512 is perfect, you see the detail you need to see, up close it may not look to close, but i can't remember the last time i was right next to someone an entire race

doubling the texture size will most likely triple or even quadruple the space size; thus eating up bandwidth for the devs like no other, require a LOT more space for the devs and especially us, and it will take much much longer to download, and most likely boot some people off the server because of so much lag from downloading the skins

if you know 'em, have them send the skin to you, problem solved right there
LOL many people are complaining that the 512 skins take too long to download and create a problem.

Ya just can't please everyone :P
#8 - bbman
Quote from RudolfR :Hi , The skins we download from other players are so cheap and dirty , why they cannot be beter quality ?

Do you have skin compression enabled? If yes, turn it off, it dramatically improves the appearance (of all textures, I might add)...

And -1 for the option... It's fine as it is and I really don't want to waste bandwith for a marginally better picture...
Quote from djgizmo68 :maybe an option in the misc options..."Download 512x512 Skins, Download 1024x1024 Skins" Etc.

Now the problem is solved
no its not

.. that still means the devs will have to put up with the huge harddrive space of the 1024x1024 skins
They already do, the skins are all stored at 1024 rez on the server, but only the 512 are downloadable in game
then howcome when i upload skins to LFSW they all are displayed at 512x512 resolutions....?
Because that is what LFSW shows. You can download your own skins from LFSW at 1024 resolution, but in game they are only available in 512 res. If all LFSW had was 512, then you would be required to upload skins in that size.
AFAIk you ahve to upload it in 1024^2 (because it's 'the standard') and it resizes it to 512x512.
Quote from XCNuse :then howcome when i upload skins to LFSW they all are displayed at 512x512 resolutions....?

Quote from LFS World :
Both HIRES and OPTIMUM skin versions will be stored, but only OPTIMUM (512px) will be available in LFS. For racing purposes this is enough and demands much less resources from your computer.

When he says 'cheap and dirty' is he meaning he doesn't like the fact that they are only 512 x 512? It's not a parade, its a race sim, I think 512 works as a good compromise for what is needed to be seen in nmotion when racing.
#17 - Jakg
hdd space is a lot less expensive that the 4x more bandwidth required!
1024x1024 is four times larger then 512x512
2048x2048 is sixteen times larger then 512x512
OK Then. How's about the download skins or not would be changed to Download 512^2 resolution/Download 1024^2 resolution if available/Don't download skins and it costs say, 10p a month a slot to have a hi-res available slot (and 5p a month for an extra slot).
what about make a 512x512 skin uses 1 skin slot.
1024x1024 uses a 4skin slot
2048x2048 uses a 16skin slot (in LFSW)
2048 is great for designing skins accurately but its crazy to have such hi res skins in a race game, you just don't need that level of resolution.
i make my skins in 2048x2048, then resize to 1024x1024 then upload to LFSW
+1
Frankly in game I really can't tell the difference between a 512 and a 2048 skin when I'm racing. Screenshots/renders are a different matter.
It doesnt give much difference, but it gives it that "edge" 512 doesnt have.

Skins
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG