I just don't get the big deal for changing that option.... Noone complained about having shifter in the options for the single seaters before hand. If you want to be realistic use sequential, if not use whatever else. I just don't think anyone would get angry if someone was not being realistic by using the shifter on the FOX none the less tell if they were. Oh well, i guess im just gonna have to convince the creators not you guys....
Quote from Honda_TypeR_VTEC :Noone complained about having shifter in the options for the single seaters before hand.

err... lol yea we did! we wanted it gone, we wanted it to be the way it should; sequential, and thus... thats what it is now
@ Angry man
With the road cars you're missing a point - changing the control type does not change the transmission type of the car. Selecting "seqential" in a road car does not and never will instantly put a true sequential trans into that car. Scawen has stated that one of the next things in LFS will be true sequential transmission simulation. Right now all the transmissions work basically the same, with the control type being different. In probably I would guess the next incomp patch, the appropriate cars (BF1, FOX, MRT, F08, hopefully XRR) will have true sequentials simulated. This of course means no direct gear selection - so having an operational H pattern shifter for that would be an exploit. In the road cars, with regular transmissions, they still by necessity have to be controllable with "sequential" controls (paddles, nonH shifters, keys, buttons etc) and therefore those controls will operate the clutch (if you don't have / use a pedal) and "virtual shifter" for you, hopefully not quite as quick as is possible with a real clutch pedal and H shifter so that there's a reason to use the proper controls if you have them.

If this fails to make sense to you, then ... I don't know, there isn't much more to say. But it does make sense, and Scawen made the right decisions here. It's just not obvious because some of the future features are missing ATM.

This nonsense about your G25 being a waste of money... :rolleyes:
#29 - JJ72
Quote from Honda_TypeR_VTEC :Talking about keyboard and mouse.....

you have buttons and keys on that as well......obviously a keyboard has "keys"
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :By the same logic (which I DO agree with) the automatics in the road cars should be real automatics - not autoshifted manuals. People will whine if Scawen ever puts time into that (how long could it take really... not long) because few people would use it - but some people would. Even just for kicks.

No, I would put in one or two automatic cars and remove the automatic gearbox totally. But autoclutch is different, IRL it is an axis and many people don't have a clutch pedal on their input device of choice.
#31 - Woz
From what I know the seq and H gearboxes are running the same code at the moment BUT soon the two will be different as they should be. This change was made ahead of these changes.

If a car has seq it should only allow seq in LFS and this is from a long standing H Shifter user (3 years)

BTW. The G25 is about FAR more than the shifter. If you feel you would be happy with a DFP then trade down, you will be SHOCKED at how much faster and more responsive the G25 is over the DFP. The shifter is a small part of the package.

Finally, give the LX6 a try. H pattern and a REAL handful but once you have worked it out a joy to drive.
Well... Realism... But there are some real formulas running stick sequencial and H...
Quote from XCNuse :err... lol yea we did! we wanted it gone, we wanted it to be the way it should; sequential, and thus... thats what it is now

But why? Whats the big deal? Its not like you are forced to use the h shifter... it was just an OPTION! You guys act like it was torture having a the shifter be a gear selection option, which to me sounds ridiculous. What if Scawen made the Single seaters only shifter (which he would never do) but you guys would be infuriated too. I sometimes think of the FOX as the old school formula 1's like the RA272 which all used gated shifters, i don't know it was just great fun for me. All i want is a way i can use the shifter with just the FOX. I don't think i am asking for much. I guess im just gonna have to get used to the paddles. Thanks
#34 - JJ72
Quote from Honda_TypeR_VTEC :But why? Whats the big deal? Its not like you are forced to use the h shifter... it was just an OPTION! You guys act like it was torture having a the shifter be a gear selection option, which to me sounds ridiculous. What if Scawen made the Single seaters only shifter (which he would never do) but you guys would be infuriated too. I sometimes think of the FOX as the old school formula 1's like the RA272 which all used gated shifters, i don't know it was just great fun for me. All i want is a way i can use the shifter with just the FOX. I don't think i am asking for much. I guess im just gonna have to get used to the paddles. Thanks

ok you don't get the point above.

the main thing is...the devs are working towards realistic transmissions in the future, and in the case of the fox it has been decided it's a sequential entry level formula which is easy to learn, that is its role. And having truely different transmission type would enhance the realism a lot, instead of just different transmission input type. Agree on it or not, it's a direction the game is going, including realistic setup options and so.

Probably one day they will get around in adding a old school F3 with gated shifters.
But why can't they just leave the option of using the h shifter? Its cool they are trying to make super realistic sequential but keeping the h shifter option in wouldn't mess up anything. You could either go sequential or shifter...no prob.
Arrrrrrrr, people explained like 5 times already why Devs dont want H shifters in formulas.:banghead:
#37 - JJ72
Quote from Honda_TypeR_VTEC :But why can't they just leave the option of using the h shifter?

because you don't have a "option" for H shifter when you go to a track with that car, just like you don't have a "option" for RWD drivetrain for the RB4, a "option" for turbo charger in a Gti......the new concept is tranmission is no longer just a user option but an intergral part of the car, just like the suspension type, the engine, the chasis dimension.....that you can't simply change as an option......

if you still can't understand it at this point maybe you should give up trying.
Quote from Honda_TypeR_VTEC :But why can't they just leave the option of using the h shifter? Its cool they are trying to make super realistic sequential but keeping the h shifter option in wouldn't mess up anything. You could either go sequential or shifter...no prob.

You cannot use a H-shifter on a properly simulated sequential gearbox. A sequential gearbox can only change one gear up or down at a time, with a H-shifter you can jump "over" gears like go directly from 6th to first gear. This is not possible with a sequential gearbox so you cannot use a H-shifter with a properly simulated sequential gearbox. And this should be coming soon so even if the H-shifter could be allowed right now (no proper gearbox simulation yet), you'd have to switch in the (near) future anyway when the improvement is made, so you might as well get used to it now.
Quote from Honda_TypeR_VTEC :I sometimes think of the FOX as the old school formula 1's like the RA272 Thanks

..the FOX is deffinetly not a car from the 60s.. nor the 70s.. nor the 80s.. and not even the 90s..
if you like to think it is, you may be better suited with one of the LX cars

and thankyou kegetys for explaining the reasoning as to why Formula Renault (which is what the FOX is based off of) type cars dont have H shifters
I thought it was kinda cool that the h-shifter didn't work in the open-seaters.
Not gonna be rude... I thought the the Formula XR is actually based on the Formula Campus. I've raced Formula Campus, and the outlook, as well as the controlling is exactly the same as Formula Campus. It's top speed is also around that much if the gearbox is properly tuned.

However, one thing is that, the Formula Campus that I drove is H-shifter. I'm not opposing to the changing of the new patch, and I'm using a DFP, nothing related to me. I just want to say that there is still H-shifter formula is which like FOX do in old days.
Not that I'm against single seaters with H-shifter (although I don't have one), but it actually doesn't really matter, what we think, the FOX could be based on, as the devs created this car and they decide whether it's sequential or not.

And btw, the Formula Campus I found via google (never heard of it before) at least now uses sequential gear boxes and is at 118 hp also less powerful than the FOX with it's 190 hp. And in fact the Formula Renault specs match the FOX-specs quite well.
Quote from Linsen :Not that I'm against single seaters with H-shifter (although I don't have one), but it actually doesn't really matter, what we think, the FOX could be based on, as the devs created this car and they decide whether it's sequential or not.

And btw, the Formula Campus I found via google (never heard of it before) at least now uses sequential gear boxes and is at 118 hp also less powerful than the FOX with it's 190 hp. And in fact the Formula Renault specs match the FOX-specs quite well.

Tks for the information mate, I appreciate that. Seems that after I came to America for study, things have already improved and changed alot. Would love to try to race the formula campus using sequential gear, should be faster thro. O yea, you're right, the spec of Renault matches the FOX quite well, but the outlook is quite alike to the Campus :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG