The online racing simulator
LFS Sense of speed
(54 posts, started )
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :...Which is bad for me, as it would be ton times more fun if in LFS i had same sense of speed like in RBR (which is so crazy when im going 210 Km/H in 580HP Subaru)

You do realize that, if the average race track width was about half a meter wider than your car, LFS would naturally feel faster?
I gotta confess I did read this post after watching a 1 hour special of the Isle of man TT a bike race in which they reach speeds of 180mph and more through narrow streets and more.

Anyway I am a motorcyclist but I do remember the first time I went 200km/h it feeled like I crapped my pants, but now im pretty much used to it( still scared a bit though)

Thanks for the tips although that Simconmotion looks awesome I dont really have the money to buy that, and I really felt alot more speed either when I switched to hi-res textures. Thanks for the tips guys!
Quote from Viper93 :Nah, neither is 255

Which would be the speed your car is supposed to be limited at correct?

When I went for my little rip here, he only took me to 230 which was as fast as I'd ever been, and it didn't seem as crazy as I thought it should

I've actually reduced my FOV in LFS to 60 something, I used to use really high FOVs but I find now the corners feel much faster and make more visual sense with a lower FOV. I use a 19" LCD about 13 inches from my noggin so it's closer to correct at least.
Yeah, a lower FOV gives more sense of depth and makes it easier for me to judge relative distances and to hit the apex of corners more precisely. You lose a lot of peripheral vision though which affects sense of speed and your ability to see who's beside you but I make up for that with a TrackIR head-tracking unit. I tend to vary my FOV setting from around 65° to as low as 45°-50°.
Quote from jegorchangai :Hi Everyone,

After some years of playing Live For Speed i'm still having ALOT of enjoyement and pleasure in it but what I partly miss is the lack of sensation I get from the speed. I mean if I would go 200km/h in my car everything would shake like hell and I wouldn't be able to sit relaxed in my seat.

So is there a way (if any) to give LFS a ''upgraded'' sense of speed besides changing POV ?

-Jegor

hi
you are thinking too fast, things get slow.

Stop playing lfs 1 month and comeback, your brain will have trouble thinking fast again.

when i stopped playing for 2 months, i came back and played FXO in AS cadet and it felt like a F1.
The feeling lasted for a day or so.
Quote from Tomtheman70 :Not really all that funny.

Friend of mine died 2 months back because of that.

Sry to hear your friend died

I wasn't trying to be funny, rather I was indicating I was not 100% serious...

IRL I've done about 1 million km of driving over the past 20 years, I am not carless on the roads. On the roads I drive people die all the time, I'm well aware of it . I know of two this year alone and at least seven last year, this is on roads I drive every day and quite a number of the crashes I've seen not long after they have happened.

Unfortunately most road deaths are preventable and involve young drivers. Although speed is often a factor the over-riding factors are normally reckless driving, inexperience, fatigue, drink driving and or drugs.

Sry if you got the wrong impression of me

[Back on topic]

The sense of speed you get in real life comes from acceleration and braking forces, not so much from raw speed. For instance if you drive continually at 160-180km/hr for 3-4 hours (Australia is a big country ) you loose the sense of speed entirely. It begins to feel like 70-80km/hr and if you slow down to 70 you think you can get out and walk faster . It is because the sense of speed primarily comes from the G forces that it is always hard to get the same feel on a PC
Thanks Tristan, it really does looks much better now.
Quote from Glenn67 :
The sense of speed you get in real life comes from acceleration and braking forces, not so much from raw speed. For instance if you drive continually at 160-180km/hr for 3-4 hours (Australia is a big country ) you loose the sense of speed entirely. It begins to feel like 70-80km/hr and if you slow down to 70 you think you can get out and walk faster . It is because the sense of speed primarily comes from the G forces that it is always hard to get the same feel on a PC

Exactly! I was curious to see how fast a certain car would go this summer, turned out it was limited at 205. Clearly, it could've gone much faster as I could feel the governerning powers that be kick in at 205. So I kept it there for a little while, and then decided that I should return to "regular" speed. So, down to 130km/h - and it seemed like I was barely moving at all even at that speed.
#34 - Nard
A good test for people who doubt LFS's sense of speed.

1. Load up Blackwood in the XFR. At the end of the back straight, you're roughly going 220kph. It doesn't feel that fast.

2. Now load up South City Classic. Take the chicane and I dare you to say it doesn't look like you're going hella fast, even if you're almost at half teh speed of the Blackwood straight. Big open circuits like Blackwood, or Westhill, or Aston have a lower sense of speed than South City and Fern Bay because the landmarks are a bit further.
#35 - Vain
Quote from Glenn67 :The sense of speed you get in real life comes from acceleration and braking forces, not so much from raw speed. For instance if you drive continually at 160-180km/hr for 3-4 hours (Australia is a big country ) you loose the sense of speed entirely. It begins to feel like 70-80km/hr and if you slow down to 70 you think you can get out and walk faster . It is because the sense of speed primarily comes from the G forces that it is always hard to get the same feel on a PC

Another factor is the car itself. Two years ago I had a Porsche 944 which I mention because it was called the limousine among the Porsches back in it's days. Cruise-speed was 180-200km/h (but seldomly reached on public roads due to traffic), very silent, no vibration, steering response even nicer than at low speeds.
A few months ago I drove a BMW E30 and the thing felt excessively uncomfortable above 140km/h. Huge wind noise, very low directional stability, excessive impact from cross wind. I felt like it'd be a good idea to just stay clear of the fast lane. A thought the 944 never gave me.
I guess what stops such impressions from developing in LFS is the evenness of the track. Perfect tarmac, no wind, no specific source of wind-noise, adjustable toe-in and castor, etc. And of course the lack of g-forces. You just can't feel the car being twitchy. Some FWD-setups feel pretty strange when you play with the steering wheel on the straights, but otherwise there're few things to give you an indication of what the car is currently trying to do.

And btw: So Classic is kind of special because it has one of the very few bumpy bits of tarmac in LFS. In standard direction, on the exit of the chicane there actually are a few bumps. We should ask the UNESCO to declare it LFSWorld heritage.

Vain
#36 - avih
Quote from Vain :Another factor is the car itself. Two years ago I had a Porsche 944 which I mention because it was called the limousine among the Porsches back in it's days. Cruise-speed was 180-200km/h (but seldomly reached on public roads due to traffic), very silent, no vibration, steering response even nicer than at low speeds.
A few months ago I drove a BMW E30 and the thing felt excessively uncomfortable above 140km/h. Huge wind noise, very low directional stability, excessive impact from cross wind. I felt like it'd be a good idea to just stay clear of the fast lane. A thought the 944 never gave me.
I guess what stops such impressions from developing in LFS is the evenness of the track. Perfect tarmac, no wind, no specific source of wind-noise, adjustable toe-in and castor, etc. And of course the lack of g-forces. You just can't feel the car being twitchy. Some FWD-setups feel pretty strange when you play with the steering wheel on the straights, but otherwise there're few things to give you an indication of what the car is currently trying to do.

And btw: So Classic is kind of special because it has one of the very few bumpy bits of tarmac in LFS. In standard direction, on the exit of the chicane there actually are a few bumps. We should ask the UNESCO to declare it LFSWorld heritage.

Vain

The tarmac isn't perfect actually. It has invisible bumps that affect the suspensions. Same kind of invisibility as the bumps on the kerbs.

And regarding SO classic, you should have seen it in S1. You went there with the MRT and until you mastered it, every chicane was a gamble so eric moderated the rails on the chicane entry. I do like it better now
Sense of speed for me is very much related to the audio component. With CSR you can get a pretty good rattle sound which triggers after a certain speed. I find this helps quite a bit.
I've tried to simulate typical ingame view IR and it looks even slower then in LFS (~100km/h)
As Vain said, type of car can change sense of speed dramaticaly. Once I was trying to go a little faster, road was so bumpy and side wind so strong that I was moving from left to right for 1-2m and gived up at 150 km/h. It was to fast. Another day, we were traveling in friends Volvo S60 and drinking beer at the back sit. When I looked up at the dashboard I said to a driver to slow down. My friend just said 'chill out man', and then he looked there too: 'OMFG 210?! slow down!" Oh, and try to reach 115km/h in Fiat 126p, you will feel like astronaut while reaching atmosphere Or buy a Maybach and TRY to feel any speed
Another thing are hard-as-steel setups wich in road cars can't give any feel that you are driving at the limit, especially on 30m wide race track
Quote from ajp71 :GPL always had an awesome sense of speed, it just felt really really stupidly fast (perhaps because it was )

haha that game was good. The engine sounds would make your hair rise.. (farraie)
I have to say that LFS does not present me with the sensation of high speeds that I got from GT: Legends. Driving a Capri to the limit on slicks or even an AC Cobra on bias-plys made me fully aware that I was "hanging on for dear life". Not to bust anyone's bubble, but even Gran Turismo 4 did a good job on speed sensation...especially on the Le Mans track. Maybe a future release would implement it better.
Quote from PlusP :I have to say that LFS does not present me with the sensation of high speeds that I got from GT: Legends. Driving a Capri to the limit on slicks or even an AC Cobra on bias-plys made me fully aware that I was "hanging on for dear life". Not to bust anyone's bubble, but even Gran Turismo 4 did a good job on speed sensation...especially on the Le Mans track. Maybe a future release would implement it better.

How? By tinkering with the tire physics, so when you start to slide, that's it? Or using massive amounts of blur and shaders and other effects you'll never see in real life? Come on, think it through... The only thing you need to change is perspective, because looking at a 19-21" monitor is like running through the street with blinkers on...
#42 - Vain
LFS could definitely support the sense of speed with a more involving sound athmosphere and a more realistic feeling to the FF.
Not all forces that the wheel acts on your hands are caused by the tyres. And there are more sound sources in a car than wind, tyres and engine.

It's a long way to go, and there are more important things to do (LSD diffs, anyone?).

Vain
#43 - Gizz
Quote from Vain :It's a long way to go, and there are more important things to do (LSD diffs, anyone?).

Vain

100% agree
Quote from Vain :LFS could definitely support the sense of speed with a more involving sound athmosphere and a more realistic feeling to the FF.
Not all forces that the wheel acts on your hands are caused by the tyres. And there are more sound sources in a car than wind, tyres and engine.

It's a long way to go, and there are more important things to do (LSD diffs, anyone?).

Vain

I know, it's just his examples are ones showing how it SHOULD NOT be done...
Quote from Vain :Not all forces that the wheel acts on your hands are caused by the tyres. Vain

Can you explain what other forces other than tires act on the steering wheel?

Hands connect to the steering wheel, steering wheel connect to the shaft, shaft connect to the steering box, steering box connect to the wheels, wheels connect to the tires, and tires connect to the road. What other forces would act on the steering wheel other than the front wheels unless you damage something between the road and the steering wheel?
#46 - Vain
The car is vibrating and thus everything in it is vibrating, e.g. you and the steering wheel.
The effect does depend on the car, but is very very strong on some cars (at least on one stripped car I used to drive), to the point that the canned GTL vibration-effect feels realistic.

Vain
Vain, that's a very good point that I think has been really overlooked by a lot of "hardcore" guys in the past. The argument against it is that those vibrations IRL are not torque on the wheel... Thus our FFB wheels are not able to reproduce the other types of feedback properly through the wheel - rather just the torque on the steering column. Not sure how I feel about this - it would have to be integrated really well into LFS. The GTL/GTR etc effect may in principle seem realistic, but it sure feels laboured to me... Of course that's in the context of a "sim" that's laboured to begin with, so in LFS it might seem more beleiveable. Good point though.
I think I understand where you guys are coming from. Damaged or poor maintenance and worn out suspension components I can see having an effect on the FF, ie, bad ball joints or something. But simple vibration I dont' think would work. Vibration IRL on the steering wheel comes through the steering column from the column vibrating. Vibration doesn't cause the wheel to shake back and forth, which is the only axis we have available as FF. To do vibration in the FF I think would just feel weird. I don't know though, because I've never been able to make it out of the garage with something like GTR because of frame rate. I do remember my wheel "vibrating" in some racing game, but can't remember which one. IMO, it just didn't feel like vibration as the only way to do it is rapid shaking back and forth of the wheel.

I can see having some type of occilation vibration from damaged suspension components or misaligned suspension. As it is now, we can get our wheels off-center from damage, but you don't really feel anything. The wheel is just simply, off-center.
#49 - JTbo
When I think about suspension damage, I come to conclusion that there should be situations where steering constantly pulls to some direction. Even flat tire should cause steering to pull that direction which side front is flat.

Of course I have not tested suspension damage too well as I'm too good racer to smash my suspension
Quote from JTbo :When I think about suspension damage, I come to conclusion that there should be situations where steering constantly pulls to some direction. Even flat tire should cause steering to pull that direction which side front is flat.

This happens in LFS, I'm not as good as you so I know all about it

@Mike - the vibrations in GTR do feel like vibrations - your brain doesn't really pick up the fact that it's side to side motion because it's so rapid. In fact, since it's so fast it probably causes funny motion in other directions just for the same reasons the "wheel" vibrates in a real car... Just the origin of the effect is wrong, that's all. Still not sure how I feel about it.

LFS Sense of speed
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG