The online racing simulator
PC Keeps Crashing
(19 posts, started )
#1 - kirbz
PC Keeps Crashing
When i first played it i could ne even get round the first track before the PC crashed and re booted

So after investigating it looked like a graphics card problem so went out and bought a new 128 mb nvidia 3d graphics cars and its much better but can still crash anywhere from he first lap to a few races which is very frustrating.

My PC spec is

P4 3.4 ghz
1gb Ram
400gb HD
128 mb Nvidia Graphics
On board sound
Belking wireless card and router

Any ideas??
Kirbz
Yeah someone help him out so i can kick his ass
Looks like a pretty good spec machine. You running Xp I imagine?

Checked for directX and soound card issues?
Any similar problems with any other cpu-intensive games?
Checked for cpu/gpu overheating?
Tried running on min graphics settings?
#4 - kirbz
Quote from al heeley :Looks like a pretty good spec machine. You running Xp I imagine?

Checked for directX and soound card issues?
Any similar problems with any other cpu-intensive games?
Checked for cpu/gpu overheating?
Tried running on min graphics settings?

Its running XP SP2
Its running the latest direct x
WHile on the game i do get sound issues which come and go but i have downloaded the latest drivers and installed them? could this be a problem?
How do i check for this?
Yep tried running at a lower level and also tried disabling the shadow bios etc in the blue screen it says to disable it so tried that as well?

Seems to have been happening more recently this crashing and i thought i had sorted it buy doing a complete re install but for some reason this game is the only thing that crashes it now, but i dont really play any games on it but it did crash alot when i used to get pictures from my camera etc?
Quote from kirbz :When i first played it i could ne even get round the first track before the PC crashed and re booted

So after investigating it looked like a graphics card problem so went out and bought a new 128 mb nvidia 3d graphics cars and its much better but can still crash anywhere from he first lap to a few races which is very frustrating.

My PC spec is

P4 3.4 ghz
1gb Ram
400gb HD
128 mb Nvidia Graphics
On board sound
Belking wireless card and router

Any ideas??
Kirbz

I upgraded to a similar config PC recently also.. and had similar problems at first (PC crashing all the time while in a race)

My specs: P4 3.2GHz, (4x) 512Mb DDR 533 A grade mem in dual channel mode, 160GB SATAII HHD, Intel M/B, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB, on board sound/ Nic, etc, etc

What i found fixed it was changing the default memory timings to be even more conservitive (ie the slowest settings for mem available) the problem has ceased.. but i've still got to get around to gradually bringing the memory timings back up to find where the system will run stable with the optimum settings.. thats time consuming though and will do it on a rainy day when bored as it is even with the slowest settings it plenty fast enough lol
#6 - kirbz
how do you change the memory speeds? i presume its in the bios settings?

Mike
yep.
Quote from kirbz :how do you change the memory speeds? i presume its in the bios settings?

Mike

Yes its a bios setting and the higher the number the slower it is, like ping times.. generally from previous experience i've found its normally only 1 or 2 of the settings that need to be slowed (when there is memory probs) but unfortunately it requires a bit of experimentation to find out which ones need changing..

I suggest putting them all at the slowest setting first to see if it fixes the problem, and if it does, change one setting at a time till u have got the best perfomance while still being stable..

Hope it works for u too
I have the same problem,that when racing in lfs, the pc crashes so often that it makes really mad.Can someone tell me where is the right place, where to change memory timing?im too noob to even know where's bios lol:P
I would not advise anyone who is not confident with Bios settings to leave well alone as you copuld do all sorts of bad things to your PC. Do you have someone that can help you out, who knows what they are doing?
yes,i have many pc freaks:P
Quote from Kriss-gold :I have the same problem,that when racing in lfs, the pc crashes so often that it makes really mad.Can someone tell me where is the right place, where to change memory timing?im too noob to even know where's bios lol:P

Mm first i must warn you, its not a good place for people that don't know what they are doing to start poking around in.. bit like the system registry in windows OS, if you get it worng it can make it quite difficult to get the computer back up and running for the uninitiated, also the same symptoms may not be caused by the same thing on your PC necissarily..

anyway if your still game.. when you first turn your computer on, you will see a message flash up temporarily in the bottom left or right corner saying "press del to enter setup"
or on some pc's it might be F2..

setup is where you change BIOS settings.. if you are new to it as u say u are id suggest u find a manual for ur specific motherboard (the name of the motherboard often is displayed momentarily at initial startup also..) if you dont have a printed copy of your motherboard manual, you can normally find a PDF version on the drivers CD that came with it - and if you cant find your drivers CD then go to the manufacturers website and you should be able to download it under there support section.. whew

In the manual youll find a section listing all the menu options for your bios setup screens, look through it for memormy timing and that will point u in the right direction.. just remember dont change anything unless ur absolutely sure of what your doing and you should be right.. the reason why im giving such strong warnings about this is because if you set the memory speed to a setting too fast for the computer to handle.. some pc's will just keep crashing even before u can even get into the bios (its rare but ive seen it) and the only way to get back it to bios to rectify it is to clear the cmos chip via a hardware jumper on the motherboard.. so while it is easy to do there can be many pitfuls..
Edit: i better wont touch enything,probally i would mess my pc up

but maybe there's some other chance to avoid crashing,beacuse it crashes only when playing lfs..iv put already lfs graphic to very low and it still keeps crashin:'(
Quote from Kriss-gold :Edit: i better wont touch enything,probally i would mess my pc up

but maybe there's some other chance to avoid crashing,beacuse it crashes only when playing lfs..iv put already lfs graphic to very low and it still keeps crashin:'(

Well i taught myself with pc's so there no reason u cant but just make sure you read the manual carefully and understand it before u make any changes.. im sure if u have questions we can answer them as we go along..
Quote from B2B@300 :Well i taught myself with pc's so there no reason u cant but just make sure you read the manual carefully and understand it before u make any changes.. im sure if u have questions we can answer them as we go along..

i searched for motherboard manual, but didn't found eny..and i have also no cd with manual(cuz it was my friends windows cd).
Quote from Kriss-gold :i searched for motherboard manual, but didn't found eny..and i have also no cd with manual(cuz it was my friends windows cd).

Do you know the manufacturer and make of your motherboard? Maybe i can find the manual..
It's Microsoft Windows Xp Home, But motherboard..
Quote from Kriss-gold :It's Microsoft Windows Xp Home, But motherboard..

Um I think its probably best you get a friend that knows alot about assembling PC to help you out..
Quote from B2B@300 :Um I think its probably best you get a friend that knows alot about assembling PC to help you out..

well okay..:P

PC Keeps Crashing
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG