The online racing simulator
I think the reason you don't see floods of articles about LFS heading to ASS from the community is that many see the magazine as a joke, myself included. The fact it isnt shiney and doesn't have real tracks would put off 99% of ASS readers anyway.
You mean I'm wasting my time writing this article here then? Bugger
Quote from SamH :
I agree that they're not REQUIRED to write anything about LFS, and are certainly not required to play it.

And I'm not REQUIRED to owe them a debt of gratitude

What an odd post AJP. ASS can write what they like, they've proven that already. I gave up reading it months ago, when it became apparent that they like the "sound" of their own voices too much. It's almost as if they're one step from posting their typing errors too, just so they can fill yet another page with dull, boring, blocks of words. I'm not thankful, why should I owe them a debt of gratitude? Nothing to do with LFS, I just think their magazine is dull, and honestly I can't imagine it being interesting to anybody except those who wrote it, their friends and maybe the people who took part in the events which they write so exhaustively about.

I don't think LFS loses out at all by not being featured. The ASS readership is probably not the most open minded when it comes to LFS, and I don't think many new sim-racers will exactly be overwhelmed by the quality of production to the extent that they are blinded to any sim not featured. In fact, I doubt many would read past the first few pages.
Quote from sinbad :I gave up reading it months ago, when it became apparent that they like the "sound" of their own voices too much. It's almost as if they're one step from posting their typing errors too, just so they can fill yet another page with dull, boring, blocks of words.

That sums up the way I feel about ASS pretty well. If it wasn't bad enough being a pathetically thinly-veiled shill for all manner of lousy products, it manages to utterly fail to redeem itself with the quality of its content, which is consistently shite.
I definatly agree that ASS could be better, but with the way they run the magazine it's only as good as the content they recieve. Most of the articles are brought in by "fanboys" of each different type of game making the articles hard to read from someone that doesn't play the game.

IF someone who was more professional in their writing skills was to send them articles I am sure it would sound a ton better than some of the art's run in the magazine currently.
Quote from Viper93 :
IF someone who was more professional in their writing skills was to send them articles I am sure it would sound a ton better than some of the art's run in the magazine currently.

Yes but why would they want to take the time to write unbiased articles of a high quality if they get nothing from it. Its the owners of ASS who benefit from the advertising they plaster all over the magazine, not the people writing articles for them.
"Nature of LFS" would be a great subject for the first long article about LFS. First it would cover the clear differencies (as being an "indie game" and not having real tracks/cars) but also differencies in the community. LFS community is pretty cloistered, maybe mostly because the official forum isn't on rscnet.org anymore. Also the article could cover why there are so many true fanboys (like somebody who got recently even banned here... you know who) compared to other sims that have only one goal and that is to bash non-objectively everything else. That's why you can't even mention LFS on other boards because you'd be labelled as a fanboy. I think this is the other major reason why LFS is just "different", other reason would be the few known arcadish game elements. Writing a good article about this would be quite an achievement.
Quote from deggis :That's why you can't even mention LFS on other boards because you'd be labelled as a fanboy.

Yeah, and the labellers are not labelling themselves as fanboys because they like more than one game, even they were 96% identical. You guys have now finally convinced me to stop reading it, and I think it just does good for my health

EDIT: I was just informed that I will keep reading, so I apologize for what I said earlier. Sorry AutoSimSport, I luv ya!
I haven't read trough this entire tread cause I'm a bit short on time. But here goes...

Most articles in ASS are about mods for sims. Mods for rFactor, mods for NR2003, mods for Nascar Heat etc. There is also coverage of any new releases made, like official patches and so on.

The problem as I see it is finding things to write about for LFS. Sure, there are the occasional new idea like the STCC servers and the leagues etc. which for sure deserves to be mentioned, but in the long run, the new releases is what you'd like to write and read about.

And since no one on ASS staff is that connected in LFS, there's not much to write about. If someone from this community would start to write, the articles would most probably make the magazine. So start writing and sending in stuff
The way I see it is, its their magazine...they make money from advertising all over it...so they should write the articles or at least pay the people who do.
I'm still surprised that LFS hasn't gotten more and more popular. It's way better than all the other sims. So what if it doesn't real cars and tracks, at least they're enjoyable.

The way I see it (and I have rFactor and GTR 2 and GT Legends and so on and so forth), the special thing about LFS is how easy and simple it is to get online. Make a player (name, info so on), then just get online with S2, you've got servers with different cars to choose from and you just jump in. There's very few lag problems, it's got great online code, good community to race with. It's nowhere near as simple (or as enjoyable for that matter) to get GTR 2 or rFactor online.

But I guess other people feel different about that.
Quote from MustangSVT :I'm still surprised that LFS hasn't gotten more and more popular. It's way better than all the other sims. So what if it doesn't real cars and tracks, at least they're enjoyable.

The way I see it (and I have rFactor and GTR 2 and GT Legends and so on and so forth), the special thing about LFS is how easy and simple it is to get online. Make a player (name, info so on), then just get online with S2, you've got servers with different cars to choose from and you just jump in. There's very few lag problems, it's got great online code, good community to race with. It's nowhere near as simple (or as enjoyable for that matter) to get GTR 2 or rFactor online.

But I guess other people feel different about that.

Well part of that is people who play other games in general don't know about LFS and it's great online play. It's up to the community to showcase that somehow. One way is making articles for ASS. There are plenty more, use your imagination and come up with something =)
Quote from George Kuyumji :AutoSimSport is the most popular Online Racing Simulation Magazine in the World. Thousands of readers every month.

Live for Speed is the most popular Online Racing Simulation in the World. Thousand drivers Racing it every day.

LFS got more people Racing Online than any other Simulation.

So why do these things not find together? Why do we have 40 pages in ASS about GTR2, 20 pages about rFactor, 10 pages about GPL and 0 pages about LFS?

Simply, there is nobody who wants to write Articles about LFS. Alot of people who race other Sims have no idea about LFS superb tyre physics, they look down on LFS as it looks like an Arcade Game on first sight, most people do not know LFS got tyre flex for example.

If you can write and are interested in doing so just for once, or regularly, for the interest and benefit of Live for Speed please consider writing Articles about LFS.

It can be anything, you could describe what the LFS Physics do, what does make LFS unique and how does it differ to other Sims, you can write an overview about the Leagues that LFS has, you can write about the latest Test Patch Progress, you can write about some great Race like the 24 hours Race last Week, you can write about everything that is interesting to you.

Alot of people in the Racing Simulation Community have never heard of LFS, alot of people think it looks like an Arcade Game. So if you got the will to write something, please do so, AutoSimSport would like to publish more Articles about LFS, if only they would get something from us. So please think about it.

:rock_band

LFS dudes are welcome to write anything about LFS if they dont include the usual bashing of other racesims in their articles.
Well it would turn into a typical ASS article, lots of crap with no comparison to back up what they say.
Quote from frankwer :LFS dudes are welcome to write anything about LFS if they dont include the usual bashing of other racesims in their articles.

No one's bashing. There must be a good LFS Writer out there who could add some stuff about LFS to ASS. ASS is not only about new Mods.

Due to its popularity and depth of the Sim it deserves a regular place in that Magazin.
Quote from frankwer :LFS dudes are welcome to write anything about LFS if they dont include the usual bashing of other racesims in their articles.

If Frank's an ASS editor, that's not a good start. If the first instinct when someone sees an LFS racer is that they're going to rubbish any other sim, then trying to get articles into ASS might be pointless.

There's a number of articles any decent writer could write about LFS, without mentioning any other sim. The problem (apart from this image thing) is to introduce it as a new spot in the mag, then have something you can develop. As the people reading the magazine will be ambilvalent about LFS at best (and possibly hostile at worst) a few introductory articles will ease them into the LFS world that we (in this forum) all live in.

An article about how the game's developed and the features it offers (the game itself, the simulation of tyres, suspension, sound, etc, LFSWorld site, and the nice things that ease our gaming - auto skin download) would be a good start.

Follow up next month with the tracks, cars, and some further technical details - InSim/OutSim, etc.

The following month, move into the sustainable regular articles - news, anything new with the latest patch, introduce leagues (e.g. STCC latest results, or whatever league you care to watch over), then you can continue with the league coverage, featured team per issue, "LFS highlight of the month" - point out a nice feature of LFS per month, etc.

Now, who's got the time to do that?
my 2 cents :

In my humble opinion, a monthly 'Eye on LFS' could be realised by creating a hiarchied news-update structure that ends at LFS News. LFS News can then be regarded as a source for all LFS news and a summary can be made for 'Eye on LFS' each month.

Leagues could have a feed towards lfs news (by whatever (techincal like rss) means). Race winners can give short interviews - league admins can report unusual or special things that happened during races - race results could automatically be uploaded - league standings as well - maybe there are special comments about standings like 'racer y has had a bad start of the season, but is steadily crawling his way to the top - we should interview him soon to find out his secret'. etc.

And how about a public ftp space (or http) where every league can upload their mpr's?

'Eye on LFS' doesn't even have to be just an ASS article - it could be sent around every month as a newsletter for those who subsribed - ASS could just be one place to publish it as well.

Anyway, I've had this idea a long time, but this is typically something the community needs to setup - I simply cannot - noone can do this on their own. It requires a combined effort from the whole community and in special one or more gifted writers to present the final news in an appealing way.
But things can be made easier if everyone only has to do a little bit, so that the final writers already have all the material and they only need to rewrite it to be readable. Also things can be made easier by automating whatever is automatable, like creating an rss feed of results and standings in- or excluding comments, usable by lfs news and whoever wants to. The only thing I could help with is setting up the centralised point for news gathering. But basically the LFS News guys would be the ones running that show and since afaik they use asp, that's a problem for me - i don't know asp.

All in all this is nothing but a suggestion - I don't like to ask the community for anything, so I'm not asking anything. But in this case, the community is the only one who can work this out, so i figured i could write my 2 cents
I'd be interested in contributing to something like that. More interested than I would be in writing for ASS specifically.
i could setup a small news-gathering website, where actual leagues can upload/write their news into a RSS feed, someone has then turn this information into articles... it's actually in php and i can give each contributor of news an own account to write those articles and stuff. it is integrated in a cms i use, so no big deal i think... and hope

what do you think? i hope rss does not make that much traffic...

but what about the lfs-news guys. i think they already run the facilities we need, don't they?
Yes that is what Victor was tyring to say =) LFS news is all setup for what the comunity needs in the way of news. Its just getting people to use it.
#46 - J.B.
Quote from Madman_CZ :Just reading through the GPL preservation society article... and this line made me chuckle..

"Even online, many of the leagues are still thriving; UKGPL is about to start season 13 with four divisions, GPL isn't going anywhere for a while yet.

rFactor, NkPro, GTR and the like are all excelent simulator platforms but that misses the point"

ASS is always full of these kind of comments. I remember sentences like "netkar will be using an online payment system as has been proven to be very successful with rfactor" or "netkar doesn't yet have a statistics website like rfactor's raceworld" as if rfactor were some kind of great innovator of simracing. That's either plain cluelessness or intentional omission. Either way, this kind of writing put me off reading ASS a long time ago.

And I don't see why any LFS'ers should worry about LFS not being in ASS. I mean ASS tries to make money by attracting simracers as readers and yet they ignore the most popular current sim and it's many leagues. Maybe it's ASS that should worry? With more income they could maybe even pay people who know how to write interesting articles. Most are just too long or sound like advertisments.
LFS is above ASS. Only mediocre sims get into ASS on a regular basis - the ones that have been dumbed down for the masses. As time goes by you'll see less and less nKP articles (when it becomes less of a joke, and hence less write aboutable).

ISI sims will remain in it for as long as they insist on making their games unrealistic.
:feedtroll

Quote from tristancliffe :LFS is above ASS.

The comments of their licensed drivers aren't...

I'm not fond of ASS myself, that's exactly the reason why I didn't even bother saying something about it, but this thread sunk even below ASS' levels... We've heard all about it, can we move on now?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG