The online racing simulator
Patch V huge fps gains
(13 posts, started )
#1 - Swif7
Patch V huge fps gains
Not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.

I've been playing lfs demo for quite a while, considering purchasing it. However, with S2 my framerates dropped to around 15fps with an empty grid, so I decided to wait until I got a better pc.

My specs are:
Celeron 1.7Ghz
512mb ddr
SiS 645 mobo (400mhz)
Geforce 4200Ti 256mb
WD 250gb 7200rpm

Now with patch V, i suddenly get 35fps, even with a reasonable grid the fps stays above 20. How is this possible? All the settings are the same, including the Z-buffer thing (which is on 24, the fastest setting).

In the patch V improvement list I didn't see anything that would affect performance in physics, graphics or better hardware support. So if anyone has an idea, please bring it up.
Quote from Swif7 :Not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.

I've been playing lfs demo for quite a while, considering purchasing it. However, with S2 my framerates dropped to around 15fps with an empty grid, so I decided to wait until I got a better pc.

My specs are:
Celeron 1.7Ghz
512mb ddr
SiS 645 mobo (400mhz)
Geforce 4200Ti 256mb
WD 250gb 7200rpm

Now with patch V, i suddenly get 35fps, even with a reasonable grid the fps stays above 20. How is this possible? All the settings are the same, including the Z-buffer thing (which is on 24, the fastest setting).

In the patch V improvement list I didn't see anything that would affect performance in physics, graphics or better hardware support. So if anyone has an idea, please bring it up.

http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=patch_v
Important changes include :

Smoother online racing
Car sound improvements
Automatic update system
Compatible with Windows Vista
Improved support for S1 racers
New script system (details below)
Fixes and improvements in all areas (some mention - vauge yes)

I have a relatively old system like yourself. When I went from Patch U0.5 to Patch U30 I noticed a gain of about 10 FPS. So going from U to V would give me the same results. +10 FPS optimisation
I've got a Celeron running 4.4ghz from stock 2.2. Even without the OC I still get a 10-15fps increase with patch U30 from patch U. Mind you I only get a steady 40 at 1280x1024 (2xAA 4xAF) on a SiS intergrated card (160mhz core, 166mhz memory) and one single 256 stick of DDR2100 ram.
~Bryan~
Quote from Swif7 :Not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.

My specs are:
Celeron 1.7Ghz
512mb ddr
SiS 645 mobo (400mhz)
Geforce 4200Ti 256mb
WD 250gb 7200rpm

dont flame me if i'm wrong, but u r demo, how can u test in s2? a friends licence??
may i remind u afaik its against the rules to lend an account??
dont flame me if i'm wrong, i'm dumb u kno

attention!!: i aint saying u r using a crack!!
He probaly means S2 DEmo, as opposed to S1 Demo.
Quote from LFSn00b :No improvement on my computer. Still stays on 5.

Me too.. In BL with empty grid stay in 20 fps... With more cars (3 + me) drop to 5 fps.
In hot laps I can use full graph options but on line I always have to put all in low to play.. the patch V don't made any improvement im fps

ps: its a Nvidia ge Force 4 MMX 128mb, 64bit
#8 - Jakg
Quote from dropin_biking :I've got a Celeron running 4.4ghz from stock 2.2.

erm... care to enlighten me on how you did that? Got a CPU-Z validation? what cooling/mobo/memory are you running, as thats a pretty crazy overclock!
Maybe the multiplayer improvement is also a graphical improvement. The multiplayer speedup option in the menu is mainly a graphical thing (please don't shoot me if I am wrong here ) : it does not draw cars further than X m away. It also does not draw cars behind you, thats why cars are sometimes popping up if you press the look behind button.

In patch V I noticed more popping-up and generally worse looking graphics when looking behind, so maybe that is the multiplayer improvement? This also affects fps and if you have better fps, your cpu has more time for sending packets, meaning better online play etc.

Just my 2 cents
I also see some improvements yes. I have gone from 35/40 fps to 75/80 fps
Same here and most of my very few lags dissapeared. Really good work from the Devs, big thank you!
Quote from Jakg :erm... care to enlighten me on how you did that? Got a CPU-Z validation? what cooling/mobo/memory are you running, as thats a pretty crazy overclock!

Lol sorry mate, I meant 2.2 to 3.4ghz. It's running 136mhz FSB with a 25 multiplyer vs stock 100 and 22. It runs way too hot and at like v-core of like 2. But I don't care, they system lasted me four good years.
~Bryan~
#13 - Jakg
ah, right

Patch V huge fps gains
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG