The online racing simulator
Speed Drifting vs. Show Drifting
(73 posts, closed, started )

Poll : What type of drifting do you usally use?

Speed Drifting
Show Drifting
Quote from RMachucaA :They are one and the same.

Wheres the option that says "i dont need to drift, i know how to drive"?

I think people that cannot drive say that they are speed drifters just for the fact that it takes alot less skill to get a car sideways in a corner than to actually try to find where maximum grip is. Not saying it doesn't take effort to fight with the wheel but hey. Drifting is drifting I would love to see a speed drifter, which from what I can understand IS trying to get around the track as fast as possible, take on any of the top drivers on LFS in a race, any race that involves reaching a finish line before someone else.

Quote from tristancliffe :I'm great a speed drifting. I keep my drift angle below about 3° and beat all the other drifters. My tyres also never get hot, and I don't have to do much steering. I still have a slip angle though. The best speed drifters are the LFS WR holders - huge speed, and often only the tinest drift (we all know drifting slows you down, so the less the quicker).

As for show drifting. Well, it's serves no real purpose in my opinion. But at least I know all drifting is for show and don't have a deluded belief about speed drifting.

LOL you too? =P I do quiet alot of drifting too =) I think drifters need to go back to physics class if they think that can complete a circuit the fastest while sliding the car around.

I do kinda like watching drift competitions, but only for entertainment and watch people make a lot of smoke.
Quote from Viper93 :Drifting is drifting I would love to see a speed drifter, which from what I can understand IS trying to get around the track as fast as possible, take on any of the top drivers on LFS in a race, any race that involves reaching a finish line before someone else.

From what I've understood, in speed drifting the goal is not to be as fast as possible, but..

Question for the drifters:
Can "speed-drifters" compete? What determines the winner then? Speed or style?
I can't figure out a how would a combination of speed skating and figure skating work as a competition.
Quote from frokki :I can't figure out a how would a combination of speed skating and figure skating work as a competition.

Constant 360's (or Lutzes) around the speed skating track (let's say 1000 meters)?
Yeah, but those 360's are tricks that need to be judged. One guy makes finer tricks but is slower and another vice versa. Who wins?

Freestyle skiing is the only similar sport that comes into my mind, but comparing it to speed drift would mean that it had few corners where drifts are judged, and bad drift adds more time to your laptime than good.

If speed drift is not about competition, I rank it just below CityLife
Quote from frokki :From what I've understood, in speed drifting the goal is not to be as fast as possible, but..

Question for the drifters:
Can "speed-drifters" compete? What determines the winner then? Speed or style?
I can't figure out a how would a combination of speed skating and figure skating work as a competition.

Some people might disagree, most don't, but speed drifting cannot be competed for the sole reason that drifting can never be a race.

At the international D1 championships drivers always compete in more of a mix between large angles and decent speed, wich can be judged by experts based on style, lines, speed, techniques and extra criteria such as overtaking.
The winner is almost always the driver that showed most control.

It's a fun thing to do, but if you want to be fast, go race. Altough a few drifters indeed think drifting is as fast as racing..
Quote from (SaM) :
...if you want to be fast, go race. Altough a few drifters indeed think drifting is as fast as racing..

That's where the problem sits. Drifters think absolutly that its the fastest way around the track, which is just simply not the case. When I use the term drifting its when the drivers exceed maximum slip angles.

Rally racing does have extreme angles at which the car enters a corner. But because they are on loose surfaces they are not exceeding the maximum slip angles which constitute a drift. If you watch WRC on the tarmac stages the fast drivers are not putting their car at wierd angles at all unless they are showing off. If drifting was so fast then they would be doing it. They are afterall masters of throttle control under limited traction enviorments which drifting is all about once those rear tires get warm.

For some of you this discussion about drifting and racing may have started here but for me this has been an argument that has been going on for years! I have yet to have a "drifter" show me any concrete evidence that drifting is faster than racing. I am not saying drifting isn't a sport or any of that, it's just more like figure skating =)
I do both style. According to my mood or either it is tsuiso battle or tsuiso drifting. In competition I need to balance those.

I do grip aswell. Grip is the best way to run away from corner. But since I do not have wheels, (focusing on exams) I do my best enough.

Its so hard/fun to do it well. Last time I got 4th in Drift Competition.
Quote from Viper93 :That's where the problem sits. Drifters think absolutly that its the fastest way around the track

this is simply not true for anybody who drifts with a s2 license

and stop with the figure skating anology allready you all know its a sport for queens chosen to offend ^^
Quote from Shotglass :and stop with the figure skating anology allready you all know its a sport for queens chosen to offend ^^

It only offends those who think figure skating is for pansies. Quite frankly, I don't have the balls to try and jump into the air and do a 360 and try to land on hard ice. I don't 'like' or 'enjoy' figure skating, but it is certainly challenging, and quite painful when something goes wrong. (More people have had life-threatening injuries from Figure Skating than from Hockey I'd bet.) Those who think calling drifting the figure skating of the motorsports world is an insult are just insecure about their chosen sport. That's not my fault.

Drifting well is very challenging. So is racing. Anyone who denies the connection between drifting and sincro swimming/figure skating is either blind or too ignorant to admit it. Drifting is about showing off; performing certain manuvers that are judged by a panel of judges. Exactly the same as in figure skating and sincro swimming. I've never meant it as an insult; merely a quick friendly jab all in good fun. I have respect for everyone professionally involved in all the aforementioned sports. They are all athletes and all have a lot of talent and bravery. I just don't like any of them, except for racing.

Quote from Hankstar :A person could be forgiven for thinking so But there was no such split, it simply became the norm. In fact, until the arrival and development of softer compounds/slicks in the '70s (and the further development of aero techonology), you could still use 4W drift in an F1 car to a certain extent, even with wings, as the wings used were smaller, quite rudimentary and didn't generate nearly as much downforce as today's heavily-researched aero components. Those changes weren't just limited to F1 either - like many areas of development the technology was transferred to many other forms of racing. Actually, the first I ever saw of a drift/grip rivalry was right here on this forum a coulpa years ago

I don't see it as a split either; I see it as a new form of sport being created from some old ideals of another. The fact that there is a 'battle' between the two just shows the immaturity of human beings.

And for the record; 70's F1 cars had gobs and gobs of downforce. I don't know about concrete numbers, but they had maybe even as much downforce as modern F1 cars. Many teams where known to remove the front wings at the faster tracks because the amount of downforce generated by the floor panels (in the days of 'ground effects' and the rear wing was more than sufficient) and the front wing just added to the drag where it wasn't necessary. I think the main limiting factor for speed back then was the tires and the lack of power steering. The tires in the 70s were still rock hard, so the cars would have a tendency to push in a corner instead of turn like modern cars. Not having power steering, the front wheels would be quite difficult and tiring to turn through a fast corner. Sliding through the turn takes more pressure off the front wheels making them easier to turn. They would have less effect on the trajectory of the car, but still enough of an effect to point it in the right direction without tiring out the driver's arms too quickly. Thats why 4 wheel drifts were still very common throughout F1 in the 70s and even into the early 80s.
#35 - SamH
I've read and re-read, and I still don't understand what the purpose is in this so-called "speed drifting". Is it to race, or to drift? If it's to race, then the question that really BEGS being answered is.. what's the POINT? Surely speed drifting can't be about racing, because the best way to speed-drift competitively would be to not speed-drift at all.
Exactly - you're either after the fastest time (so you don't drift) or the most 'style' in which case you want biggest yaw angle for longest at highest speed, even though your lap time will be VERY slow.

No one yet has defined the differences between speed and show drifting. Partly, I suspect, because there isn't a difference, but people don't want to admit to sliding just for the sake of sliding.
#37 - Jakg
"speed drifting" is trying to overtake and go as fast as possible while drifting, its fun, but its just drifting with less angles
Makes no sense, if you want to pass him just don't drift.
#39 - SamH
Kewl! Once I've gone back and deleted all the posts where I said I didn't know what speed drifting was, I can then claim that I am, in fact, one of the world's best speed drifters. Furthermore, henceforth I wish to be known as a speed drifter, and anyone who beats me in a race will know that they didn't, in fact, beat me because unbeknownest to them.. I was actually not racing, but speed drifting.. and doing it MUCH better than they were. Never again shall I be mistaken for getting out of shape in a corner. Henceforth (and retrospectively), my apparently crap laptimes were all deliberate and highly competitive speed drifting

If someone overtakes you just blame it on a little too much show drifting and not quite enough speed drifting.
Quote from SamH :Kewl! Once I've gone back and deleted all the posts where I said I didn't know what speed drifting was, I can then claim that I am, in fact, one of the world's best speed drifters. Furthermore, henceforth I wish to be known as a speed drifter, and anyone who beats me in a race will know that they didn't, in fact, beat me because unbeknownest to them.. I was actually not racing, but speed drifting.. and doing it MUCH better than they were. Never again shall I be mistaken for getting out of shape in a corner. Henceforth (and retrospectively), my apparently crap laptimes were all deliberate and highly competitive speed drifting

LOL you really are the best speed drifter I have ever seen Sam, congratulations on your acheivment! =P
#42 - Jakg
the thing is, with the drift sets i like, drifting is faster!

It's fun, but it ain't racing!
#43 - SamH
ty! ty! :throwrose
Quote from Jakg :the thing is, with the drift sets i like, drifting is faster!

It's fun, but it ain't racing!

No qualms there I like doing it too =) I like getting my tu-tu out every once in a while, especially if there is not a race going on. Usually after a race you can see me putting some dorifto's in, especally so in the RB4. Hey wait I am almost as fast as Sam is now with his Speed drifting =)
Quote from Jakg :the thing is, with the drift sets i like, drifting is faster!

Of course drifting is faster if you haven't got enough lateral grip (obviously drift setups are made to reduce grip) and have to compensate it with longitudal traction to get around corners. That's exactly why pre-war GP cars and today's rally cars drift.
#46 - SamH
Even modern rally cars are intent on maximum grip, wherever possible.. but the nature of the sport's ground surface and undulation means that it rarely IS available, and some of the hairpins are beyond the turning lock of the car etc. Drifting isn't preferable to traction.. it's simply the only one of the two options available
#47 - Jakg
BTW Sam, being the quickest drift racer is about the same as being the worlds tallest midget

Get a REALLY tight layout, and a drift set and i'll show you drift racing, pulling the handbrake blocks the whole track, and your avoiding me while i keep the rpm's high
Thats when sam brings out his bumper and gives you a nudge into the kamakazi barriers in the AutoX =P
Here's what I think:

Drifting is drifting, simple? Yes. And please - mods, don't let this discussion continue. Don't let some people make all drifters look stupid again. This is just ridicilous.
#50 - SamH
Quote from Jakg :Get a REALLY tight layout, and a drift set and i'll show you drift racing, pulling the handbrake blocks the whole track, and your avoiding me while i keep the rpm's high

Oooh...
Quote from Viper93 :Thats when sam brings out his bumper and gives you a nudge into the kamakazi barriers in the AutoX =P

... I have a cunning plan
This thread is closed

Speed Drifting vs. Show Drifting
(73 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG