The online racing simulator
Speed Drifting vs. Show Drifting
(73 posts, closed, started )

Poll : What type of drifting do you usally use?

Speed Drifting
Show Drifting
Just life that, what type of drifting do you usually make?

Speed= Going at excessive speed with a reduct angle, less smoke.

Show= Going a little slower, create a lot of smoke and angle
I don't understand what you're asking. All drifting is for show. If you wanted to go fast you wouldn't be drifting.
Answer of a non-drifter

Next one please!
I agree with forbin, you're either showing off, powersliding (in the rallying sense :P), or gripping
Again, I agree with Forbin, drifting by definition places the emphasis on style over speed. Surely "speed drifting" is just drifting less?
if im not wrong... wasn`t the drift used for pass the corners fasters in some roads of japan first instance?
show drifting is just a senseless thing, but can be fun sometimes

edit: i dont think speed drifting is drifting less.. show drifting is drifting more than necesary
#7 - Tick
There's no difference.

Let the Flames begin!
#9 - (SaM)
They're both 'show' as drifting isn't supposed to be a race but a challenge.
There is a difference between so called show drifting and speed drifting though.

What he means is the difference between drifting whereas there's no care for speed, just drifting as gracefully as possible and the largest angle [show drifting] vs. still drifting every corner but going for the highest speed possible using minimal angle ['speed drifting']

When I drift, I combine both. Aiming to drift as much as possible with a large angle while still holding a good speed.
Drifting is drifting, same as racing is racing.

If there is a race that is for 'show' then it is still 'fast' racing, if there going slow there not exactly racing. I'm sure it's the same as drifting yea?
Quote from Patussay :if im not wrong... wasn`t the drift used for pass the corners fasters in some roads of japan first instance?
show drifting is just a senseless thing, but can be fun sometimes

edit: i dont think speed drifting is drifting less.. show drifting is drifting more than necesary

I think drifting was first used in rallying..........
Quote from Riders Motion :Answer of a non-drifter

Next one please!

Uh oh. Another drifter who only sees the world in black and white...remember THAT thread?

Quote from fragile_dog :I think drifting was first used in rallying..........

It has always been a part of motorsports, until recently when the cars got better tire and suspension. I have on the computer a Trans Am race from 1970 at Riverside Raceway; the only way they COULD get through turns was drifting!
Quote from Riders Motion :Just life that, what type of drifting do you usually make?

Speed= Going at excessive speed with a reduct angle, less smoke.

Show= Going a little slower, create a lot of smoke and angle

"Speed drifting" and "show drifting" are used for different, SEPARATE types of competition.

Just like you probably won't find "speed drifting" at a drift competition you probably won't see "show drifting" at a race.

Dirfting, or 'powersliding' is used in any form of racing where it will be the faster method. It was used in F1 from the very beginning up until the 80s, for instance. Basically, tires back then were so... not-grippy compared to today, it was faster to slide through the corner rather than slow down a lot more and drive through it. Most racing series today use cars with a lot more grip so sliding is detrimental to speed; not to mention the tires now are a lot softer so it wears them down too quickly.

This drifting competition stuff is the figureskating of the motorsports world. (Sincronised Swimming when done in groups of two or more, maybe)
Quote from Riders Motion :Answer of a non-drifter

Next one please!

He IS right.

As long as you flicked your car sideways around a corner purposely, whether its faster, slower, higher or lower angles... that is showing off, it's what drifting is all about, having the fun, excitement and of course, for show only.
Maggot :up: Early race cars were high-powered and had sod-all grip due to rock-hard tyres, so drifting through a corner using all four wheels was the quickest way around. 1930s GP legend Tazio Nuvolari is commonly mentioned as the father of 4W-drift and for decades it was as common a racecraft tool as shifting gears, before the advent of slicks and high downforce. Before slicks, you didn't change your tyres during a race because they were very hard, treaded like road tyres (to cope with changeing weather) and would last all afternoon. The lack of downforce also meant the tyre life was extended. In fact, before 1968 when wings were added to F1, some cars even experienced noticeable lift above certain speeds. The combination of those factors required you to break traction in order to be competitive. It would pay to find some old racing footage, particularly pre-1966 when tyres were really quite thin, to see how much the old cars moved around on the track. Even if you drove conservatively you really had no choice but to lose traction, so I guess Tazio just thought "don't fight it - use it". He certainly wouldn't have been doing it to show off! If you had a 600hp front-engined GP car fitted with tyres 4 inches wide and drum brakes, I really don't think you'd have much choice but to break traction a little bit

Confusion about drift often arises because a lot of people think that the kind of 4W-drift used in racing is the same as today's rear-out show drift: slowing right down, locking the rears, entering the corner almost at right angles, lots of wheelspin, front wheels having a much higher slip angle than the rears. Nothing could be further from the truth. 4W-drift happens at a much smaller angle than show drift. It's a controlled loss of grip and involves sliding all four wheels to maintain speed through a corner. All four tyres will have a similar slip angle as opposed to show drift, where the rears do most of the sliding and the fronts may not even slide at all. It's possible to use 4W drift effectively in LFS, especially in low-grip cars like the LXs.

Just FYI so people can use non-confusing terminology
#17 - Davo
Don't you mean Powerslide insetad of 4wheel drift?

i meant on tarmac, asphalt(dont know what is correct),lets say that black thing ... but, forget it, im wasnt really sure, just mention it, that was i say "if im not wrong" :P
#19 - Gunn
Quote from Davo :Don't you mean Powerslide insetad of 4wheel drift?

They are not the same thing. A powerslide does not require the front wheels to slide. In the 1930s the technique pioneered by Tazio Nuvolari was to compensate for the old long-chassis cars with primitive suspension and tall skinny low-grip tyres. He would slide the whole car sideways, not just the rear end. He was even known to stick the nose of the car into hedges as he took certain corners to help maintain his line and angle. Put Nuvolari into a modern car and I doubt you would see him sideways very often. He was just pushing the absolute limits of the engineering of the times using unorthodox techniques (and quite a lot of bravery).
#20 - SamH
So the advent of effective downforce and softer compound tyres created a division, or split, in motorsports where racers went one way and drifters went the other, right?

I don't see where there is a difference between speed drifting and show drifting, except perhaps having watched the two example videos posted above.. the first video appears to be good drifting, and the second (forgive me for saying this) looks like really BAD drifting. Do drifters, who can't actually drift, say they're speed drifters.. and pretend they're focused on making it to the finish line rather than carry on making a mess of their drifts? I have to ask, because I don't actually know. It's just the impression I get.

The 2nd video just seems to be a slow procession of 3 cars.. I wanted to ask who'd died.. the only thing missing was a hearse. Sorry but, that's how it seems.
Quote from Davo :Don't you mean Powerslide insetad of 4wheel drift?

Nope! For all I know they could be the same thing to some people but what I described is indeed four-wheel drift. Gunn's on the money :up: Anyone who's played GPL would know that be fast, you have to be somewhat sideways most of the time

Here's a short vid, showing four wheel drift being employed in 1964 in the British Saloon Car series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWp-0TuY4Sk
It has great footage of drivers drifting their Lotus Cortinas & Ford Anglias around Crystal Palace. That's four wheel drift in practice - you can see them breaking traction long before the entry point to the corner, going through it sideways and facing the right direction before they exit the corner at full throttle. You can clearly see where the difference is between 4W drift and show drift - one is effective at maintaining race speed (vital in this case and many other cases in historic racing), the other for show.

Quote from SamH :So the advent of effective downforce and softer compound tyres created a division, or split, in motorsports where racers went one way and drifters went the other, right?

A person could be forgiven for thinking so But there was no such split, it simply became the norm. In fact, until the arrival and development of softer compounds/slicks in the '70s (and the further development of aero techonology), you could still use 4W drift in an F1 car to a certain extent, even with wings, as the wings used were smaller, quite rudimentary and didn't generate nearly as much downforce as today's heavily-researched aero components. Those changes weren't just limited to F1 either - like many areas of development the technology was transferred to many other forms of racing. Actually, the first I ever saw of a drift/grip rivalry was right here on this forum a coulpa years ago
on no...my signature ffs
They are one and the same.

Wheres the option that says "i dont need to drift, i know how to drive"?
Im prefering show drift sometimes combinated with speed drift (depends on turn)
I'm great a speed drifting. I keep my drift angle below about 3° and beat all the other drifters. My tyres also never get hot, and I don't have to do much steering. I still have a slip angle though. The best speed drifters are the LFS WR holders - huge speed, and often only the tinest drift (we all know drifting slows you down, so the less the quicker).

As for show drifting. Well, it's serves no real purpose in my opinion. But at least I know all drifting is for show and don't have a deluded belief about speed drifting.
This thread is closed

(73 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG