The online racing simulator
Mixing AI Skill Levels
(21 posts, started )
Mixing AI Skill Levels
Can you have AI drivers at different skill levels in the same race?

There are five skill levels for the AI drivers (newbie, novice, OK, etc). Does this skill level take effect when you add the AI driver or when you start the race?

In other words, is it possible to add 3 newbie AI drivers, 2 novice drivers, and 5 pro drivers -- or do they all become "Pro" drivers when I click Start Race?

It seems like the latter, because when I add a mixed group of drivers they all stick together in a pack instead of spreading out like I'd expect.
before you add an ai, you must select the skill above "ad ai" If you want 2 newbie's you select newbie from the skill, then press add AI twice, thus adding 2 newbie ai's. Then if you wanted 2 pro, change newbit to pro and when you hit add ai twice you will be adding two pro ai. SO... you now have 2 newbies and 2 pro.

Hope that helped
Yeah, but...
Okay, that's what I thought. In fact, that's exactly what I do but then all the AI cars stick together as if they were all the same. I'm surprised that the 2 pros don't run away from the 2 newbies, for example.

That's why I wondered if maybe the only skill level that "sticks" is the last one you select before starting the race.
if the "pro" level AI`s are behind the "newbies" AI`s, they wont overtake them, and tehy will go slow, braking a lot more than normal, try putting the "pro" ones in front at the start, and they will run away
also if you give them all the same setups that need shifting, AI cant handel shifting yet so they will be stuck in 1st gear
Thanks!
Ah, good to know. I was putting the better drivers behind the newbies, so there were getting held up. That explains it.

On a related topic, it says elsewhere that the AI cars get better with practice. How much better? Will an OK-level driver with hours of experience get better than a Pro-level driver with no experience? Does a "Newbie" graduate to "Quick" with enough practice?

Finally, I've read elsewhere about running AI races overnight to build up the AI's experience. But since AI drivers can't pit for fuel, my AI races never last longer than 45-60 minutes -- nowhere near overnight. Am I missing something?
#7 - shim
AI never pit.. just make sure they have a full tank of fuel before they go out..
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :also if you give them all the same setups that need shifting, AI cant handel shifting yet so they will be stuck in 1st gear

Would you care to elaborate on that one, please?
ai dont shift, so sometimes they get stuck in the same gear
My AI always shift, and they refute the claims against them.

/me puts AI5 (the ring leader) in touch with my lawyers
Could be him, but AI5 is quite a common name around Blackwood. I suspect inbreeding.
Once upon a Demo, AI13 learned the ways of Sneaky Monkey Drifting! Maybe he and AI5 are in cahoots?
Quote from felplacerad :Would you care to elaborate on that one, please?

They lose their marbles if the redline comes before the shift point, but I don't think that's what he was referring to...
Funny that nobody tried it after claiming that mixing AI's is possible, because it is not
There is no difference what AI skill is selected before adding them. Only matter which selection is before clicking 'START' and then every AI has the same skill.

Put one newbie and one pro on track (make sure that both have 'AI first time'). After some laps exit the program and look into knw folder, both of the new AI files are the same skill.
eg:

SO1_AI1_LX4_NEWBIE.knw
SO1_AI2_LX4_NEWBIE.knw
How to give AI a full tank??
I want to let the AI practice a while, but they still have 8% of fuel on board... how can i change it?
As with most things when it comes to modifying the ai details:

Remove all AI's from the grid, go to the garage and choose a car, setup and fill up the tank. Leave the garage and add the AI cars again.
Quote from felplacerad :Remove all AI's from the grid, go to the garage and choose a car, setup and fill up the tank. Leave the garage and add the AI cars again.

A more reliable method is to save the setup you want the AI to use (including their fuel fill level) under the exact name of the AI car - for example, AI5 or, if you've renamed them, Bob or whatever. This way, the AI car will always use the setup saved in their name. The downside is, you need to have a setup for each AI car.

The same method can be used for their colour schemes.

Quote from pasibrzuch :There is no difference what AI skill is selected before adding them. Only matter which selection is before clicking 'START' and then every AI has the same skill.

I was quietly incredulous while reading this thread, and also doubted the theory - my main reason being that when you start the race, the AI skill level setting is shown in brackets after the race information that appears just before the start - it does not list the cars and their skills, so it seemed quite obvious that they would all have to be the same...

DE
The fuel fill level is not stored in the setup.
I noticed that just now. Damn, it seems I've become a victim of not checking things. In that case, how do you choose the fuel level for your AI cars? Does selecting 'AI use player setup' include your fuel level in their setup?

DE
AI use player setup is what you use to change their fuel, pretend you want an xrt with 100 % fuel

so you go to your garage, then select xrt, go to info and change fuel at startup to 100%, press ok to save changes... then add ai... they should have 100% fuel

so the answer to your question is yes

Mixing AI Skill Levels
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG