Speeding tickets
(62 posts, started )
I guess I must have been born lucky, I've been driving for nearly 35 years and although I hardly ever stick to speed limits (except in my bus!) I have NEVER had a speeding fine.
I did get 'flashed' once on my bike, but when I went to court the case was thrown out because the police could not produce any legitimate evidence that I was speeding...even though they had the pictures/printouts from the van that flashed me.
How? you may ask..
Well, I proved that the speedtrap van was illegally parked at the time it took the 'evidence', and therefore the 'evidence' was inadmissable in court.
The magistrates had no option but to dismiss the case.
I got caught with a radar pistol maybe a year ago, doing ~120 km/h in a 80 zone, though it was in the morning, and the two lane road which would've passed as a three lane one was empty. Don't even know how much I paid for it anymore

(A2 Autobahnabfahrt Richtung Altmannsdorf)
My brother-in-law did something similar. We don't have vans, they're just regular cars with big "foglights" on the front My brother in law was doing 80, the flashed him, and it was a pretty big fine because the limit was 50. When he received the ticket, he noticed they put the place where they were standing on it, and they assigned a house number, instead of the field they were really in... Guess what, the house was after a 70 sign, so suddenly the fine got a lot smaller!

Another reason why I was upset about the flash: I actually should have stopped there and turned left, but I didn't think of it I could drive that way... So I just went through... FLASH!
I'll typically do the motorway at around 80mph with some regularity. I'll generally stick to most other speed limits... unless I know it's safe, and I know there are no cameras.

Nearly two years of driving... I drive almost every day... not a single ticket thus far.
Got a few tickets when I was younger (20 years ago ) but never have lost my lic. Haven't had a ticket in 10 years now.

When I was young I just couldn't let people go past me or let someone stay infront of me illepall It took along time to get it out of my system but nowdays I can sit quite comfortably on the speed limit having a stress free drive to work listening to talkback radio and shacking my head at all those young idiots that take unnecessary risks on the roads as they go flying past

I recall a few funny ones, one was going along a city street about 86 in a 60km zone, saw a cop with a handheld radar on a bike get me so did a uturn and drove back to him so he didn't have to chase and after abit of a chat he let me off! Another was in the country which is 110km I was doing 180 -190 all the way then on the return trip I was cruisin on 130 -135 and got booked for 132 in 110 zone that one could have been my license.
That's what I hate about those camera poles, you can't stop or have a bit of a chat or maybe even an explanation. All you can do is wait untill it arrives in the mail.
Quote from Bob Smith :ajp71 - I agree the speed limit system is awful, plus they should be variable. All limits should go down during the rain/fog/snow (chance would be a fine thing)/ice/etc appropriately. I know some derestricted country lanes where trying to stick to 60 feels a bit risky, yet that's legal.

I don't really think limits should be reduced and on country roads corners that need slowing for are generally well marked, like I said IMO the speed limit need not be bellow or at the safe limit for the road/conditions and you should not let it dictate how fast you drive down a road, the danger is if you set the limits low everyone will always drive down the road at the speed limit and completely ignore the conditions and not make an informed decision on how fast you should be driving.

Quote from duke_toaster :Note that 70mph is only that because in the 60's, when it was introduced, that was the top speed of the average family car - the rule was to stop people in Shelby Cobra's being idiots.

Yes thank AC for testing the works Cobras down the M1 for that, a car with no downforce, grip short and fat really must have been quite a handful at over 170mph down the public highway

Quote from Hurts2bStock :Only had one ticket, but it was for 172kph in a 90, and it cost me just under $700 with the 3 tickets he wrote for it.. :'(

No instaban for driving at double the speed limit?
No we don't (as far as i know) have that unless your caught street racing.

This was on a 100% straight freeway, early in the morning on the way to work. The cop said he was going to tow my car, and made me over an hour late for work, so I did stop speeding like that since the ticket.
Quote from farcar :Damn, that's unlucky, although 20mph over the limit is quite a lot.
BTW I didn't think cops in The States were allowed to breath test people unless they failed a sobriety test. Is this not the case?

20mph over isn't that much for this stretch of highway. typical speeds are 80-90mph, with 100+mph speeds very typical. and the cops can breath test people if they have probable cause.

what was the probable cause in my situation? they claimed that i smelled like alcohol and that my car smelled like alcohol. a completely meritless claim that they can make whenever they feel like it and it covers their ass, and is impossible to dispute.

but i've never been in my car after drinking, never given a ride to any drunk people with my car, and never had any alcohol bottles that have even been opened in my car.

basically, my opinion is they saw a young looking person (on any given day, i look 5-10 years younger than my age) in a sports car, and decided i would be a great target.

yeah, i was speeding, but i was going a bit slower than most of the other traffic.
I was on my way home to New Jersey from Ohio this past July. I'd just spent a week at the national pistol championship, so I had a couple guns in the car (perfectly legal to have them in all the states I traveled through except the one I live in, although that has now changed). This was my third time doing this trip and I'd never seen any cops at all on either of the previous trips, so I figured I'd try and cut down on the travel time (it's about 9-10 hours at the speed limit of 65 mph) and bump my speed up to about 80-85 mph.

So there I was, in my father's bright red 1994 BMW 325is around noon, passing cars constantly as I cruised in the left lane. Warning bells should have gone off in my head there, but they didn't. As I crested this one hill, there sat a cop. I was sure he'd already tagged me, but just in case he didn't, I stepped on the brakes and got slowed down to 65 in a hurry. As I got closer, I saw him start to move and then when I finally went by, he turned his lights on and I knew he'd gotten me. 83 mph in a 65 mph zone. Fine: $90. Not too bad, but certainly something I could have easily avoided, especially if I hadn't decided to rush.

All I could keep on thinking about though was the fact I'd gotten pulled over with guns in the car (perfectly legal as I said, but still a little unnerving).

That was my one and only speeding ticket so far.
I've gotten 9 tickets altogether. I got my first two when I was 15 before I even had a license(speeding and driving without a license). 6 others were speeding tickets, and another was a failure to yield ticket. All were over $100 except the failure to yield was around $250 and also a court appearance. I didn't learn my lesson until the state sent me a warning letter that any more points on my record would cause a suspension of my license. I've been ticket-free for over 2 years now.
#37 - Davo
Something stupid like 53 in a 50km/h zone, I had just changed the dash to a updated model with tacho, oil pressure, voltage display and the speedo was out.. wasn't happy about that. Fine was about AUD$128 so 77e.
I've heard that if you're going over 130mph(210kph?) then the speed cameras can't catch you because you're out of frame before the camera goes off.

Keep it over that and you'll be fine =)
Quote from luftrofl :I've heard that if you're going over 130mph(210kph?) then the speed cameras can't catch you because you're out of frame before the camera goes off.

It was tested on top gear, it doesn't work like that. At least in Europe

I've never got a speeding ticket (driven ~50 000km), but I have been fined for driving my car off the road...
I've had zero tickets for speeding so far. Some for parking where I shouldnt, but never payed them.

However they've gone nuts here in Spain with traffic regulations. They want to "upgrade" traffic offences to criminalism, which means that if you go 180 km/h in a 120km/h motorway and you get caught, you could go to jail instead of getting points out of your license.

I must say that, overall, people have lifted off their throttle pedals, so fear does work, sadly.
Touch wood, Non. Due to Radar

Also don't you people have a Reflective License Plate's
I drive for 6 years now and never got caught.
Although I drive too fast permanently (Well in cities I cruise with 55-60 km/h instead of 50; outside cities I drive permanently 20 km/h more than allowed).
I think most of the speed cameras are programmed to catch the hardcore speeders and I don't even trigger them ...
Drive for 5 years, and accumulated 2 tickets.

One for parking wrongly: We were watching the midnight pre-premiere of LotR, so it was almost 4 in the morning when we got to the friends place where we would sleep. As that friend lives in the university quarter in Graz, there are hardly any parking lots. As I was tired as hell and had to get up early the next day, I simply parked near the flat in a no parking zone. As this area is controlled frequently, I knew beforehand that I would get a ticket, but I was still pissed because it was handed out only ten minutes before I got to the car and drove away. 21 € fine

And one for speeding: This year, just before Christmas. On the roadway to my girlfriend's place there are numerous construction sites, and as I was not in the mood to break from 130 to 60 every 4 kilometers I just let the car (which was embarrassingly not my car, but the car of her dad) roll into one of the sites... got caught with 77 kph where 60 are allowed, 50 € fine. Much to my grief, her dad insisted to pay for it, as it was his car...

One time, I was quite in a hurry to fetch my brother. So when I drove, I forgot both my drivers license and the cars registration. Mere 200 meters in front of the place where I had to fetch my brother, there was a traffic control. they pulled me out because my right front light wasn't working, which would allow me only to drive to the next garage... luckily, the officer was in a good mood, so I didn't have to pay for the three offenses.
ive had 4 ban's in my driving life but im not going to get another mr sensible from now on, no more speeding, wheelies or racing for me anymore
For any UK people, this may be useful - http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=2846

I have heard reports from other forums that I use that it actually works as well

I've never been done for speeding, did get a TS10 a few years back for going through an amber light though
#46 - mr_x
1 1/2 years of driving and I've never been caught speeding, or got tickets for any other offences... but that's not to say I've done 110mph on an empty motorway at 1am where I know there's no cameras.

110mph in a Toyota Yaris scared me shitless... They really aren't stable cars at above 70mph, I rarely go above 80mph now.
Quote from Davo :Something stupid like 53 in a 50km/h zone, I had just changed the dash to a updated model with tacho, oil pressure, voltage display and the speedo was out.. wasn't happy about that. Fine was about AUD$128 so 77e.

you get fined that much for 3 over ? here they usually dont even bother unless youre at least 10 over
Quote from Shotglass :you get fined that much for 3 over ? here they usually dont even bother unless youre at least 10 over

In austria too... no fine if you are less than 10 kph quicker than allowed, AND 3 kph will be substracted due to "measurement inaccuracies"...

as especially old speedometers show you about 10% faster than you actually are, you can go about 150 kph (on speedo) on our 130 highways without having to fear prosecution
Quote from ColeusRattus :In austria too... no fine if you are less than 10 kph quicker than allowed, AND 3 kph will be substracted due to "measurement inaccuracies"...

as especially old speedometers show you about 10% faster than you actually are, you can go about 150 kph (on speedo) on our 130 highways without having to fear prosecution

ahhh yes the autobahnexpierenced drivers way of speeding ... limit + 40 (the point where you lose you license) + 3 + 10%
The only annoying thing is if they built a section control in that area. They make me much more nervous and less concentrated on the road as I always have to check if I'm over the limit or not.

Speeding tickets
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG