The online racing simulator
Speeding tickets
(62 posts, started )
Speeding tickets
Well, I've got my temporary license for 2 days now... And the nice people of the police already have a picture of me. I don't know how much I was speeding, it was one of those static camera's. I wasn't driving too much too fast, penalty will probably range from something of 80 to 150 euros.
Which I have to pay (well of course).

But all in all, this made me wonder how many speeding tickets people had here, and what the costs are in different countries.

Belgium: for the first 10 km/h too fast, 50 euros, for every single km/h too fast, another 5 euros. If speeding is more than 40 km/h, it's different, but the previous one was applied to me.
From what you're saying, it seems you haven't been notified yet. So you were driving along and you saw it flash? Bummer. But hopefully it'll make you realise there's a time and a place for driving fast... wherever there aren't speed cameras! (jk)

Also, just because it's flashed, you haven't necessarily been caught, but you probably have.

edit: I got one 4 months after I started driving for doing 37 in a 30 limit. I was approaching a 40 limit, and the nice policeman was catching anybody who dared speed up to early. It's definitely made me slow down, if only because 2 speeding tickets means a lost license for a new (<2 years) driver.
Quote from spookthehamster :From what you're saying, it seems you haven't been notified yet. So you were driving along and you saw it flash? Bummer. But hopefully it'll make you realise there's a time and a place for driving fast... wherever there aren't speed cameras! (jk)

Also, just because it's flashed, you haven't necessarily been caught, but you probably have.

Yea, I just passed someone so I was driving on the left lane, secondly I knew I was doing more than 70, but it wasn't really on purpose, and I was in a rush bc I should have gone to the shop, go home, shower, pick up my dad from work, and go to the hairdresser... But I made a mistake in my school hours, and I had to go pick up my dad immediately, and he gets mad if he has to wait long.

And I was already pissed off because my car wouldn't start. And I was overtaking someone that was going REALLY slow.

Apparantly it's a known place for getting flashed!
5 points
got one for an illegal right turn at 3.20 in the monring when there was NOTHING on the road!! grrr!
4 points for 2 seperate speeding offences... 94MPH on the motorway (70 MPH) and 50MPH IN A 30MPH zone last week.
total fines = 240euro
I've never got one, doesn't mean I wasn't speeding, but as they say, it's only illegal if you get caught.

My mother speeds a lot, but never got caught, my dad got caught years ago (2 weeks after passing his test and was driving a Royal Mail van at the time). I also goto uni with someone who lost her licence for drink driving and backing into a police car XD
Been driving for 10 years and never been booked for anything. I was pulled over for a breath test about 5 years ago. Just always make sure there's one car nearby going faster and you'll never get pulled over. In most citiesm I'm sure it's not hard.
#9 - ajp71
In the UK the fine is much less of an issue than the penalty points, it's 3 points for every speeding offence and 12 is a ban so you only need 4 to loose your license, which is quite possible from one motorway journey. For the first 2 years after passing your test 6 points is a ban so that means you can only get caught once.

Speed cameras in the UK are a completely pointless waste of space, they do nothing for road safety and are just a game, they're all painted bright yellow and placed in speed limits that are just ridiculously slow for the road, there's one on a regular route I drive, which is usually clear of traffic, wide road on the outskirts of town where the natural flow of the road would be about 50mph, and with the kind of visibility you get that would be perfectly safe even in a residential area, the 30 limit is even more ridiculous seeing as it's down hill and guess what, there are two speed cameras down that stretch of road.

The 'safety' camera vans are even more bloody annoying there is one that always hides out of sight on days/times when there is little traffic around on a stretch of dual carriage way going down hill just entering a 50 where most traffic is strolling along at 80.

IMO speed detection should not be marked, we should not get penalty points, just fines and speed limits should be more sensible, IMO motorways could flow safely at 90 dual carriage ways mostly at 80 and virtually every 50 should be a 60. Ideally your speed should be limited by what the sensible safe limit for the road is not what the speed limit is.

My granny got a speeding ticket for 35 in a 30
Quote from ajp71 :IMO speed detection should not be marked, we should not get penalty points, just fines and speed limits should be more sensible, IMO motorways could flow safely at 90 dual carriage ways mostly at 80 and virtually every 50 should be a 60. Ideally your speed should be limited by what the sensible safe limit for the road is not what the speed limit is.

Note that 70mph is only that because in the 60's, when it was introduced, that was the top speed of the average family car - the rule was to stop people in Shelby Cobra's being idiots.
Most of the time i only get two tickets a year, but 2006 was a record. Six for speeding, one for not having a seatbelt and one for parking at a invalid parkingspace (wich i did not do, I have got a letter now saying they believe it wasn't me but i still haven't got the money of the ticket back).

And also one at my frontdoor for not having a parkinglicence (is that "parkeervergunning" in english?). I had one but i forgot to get a new one when 1 year had past.
The fastest I went in my car at this point is just under 100 km/h... Guess where
I'm glad I live in a very quiet street, and we have a drive way, so no bewonerskaart for me
I'm just still wondering if they could take my license for this, I mean, I wasn't driving THAT fast, I'm just scared
Quote from marzman :And also one at my frontdoor for not having a parkinglicence (is that "parkeervergunning" in english?). I had one but i forgot to get a new one when 1 year had past.

WTF ... Points on your licence for parking fines. Jesus, in the UK they persecute motorists with their stupidly low red flag act style speed limits but they haven't come up with that one yet.
Only had one ticket, but it was for 172kph in a 90, and it cost me just under $700 with the 3 tickets he wrote for it.. :'(
Quote from duke_toaster :WTF ... Points on your licence for parking fines. Jesus, in the UK they persecute motorists with their stupidly low red flag act style speed limits but they haven't come up with that one yet.

I think he got a ticket, not a point. The point system isn't that common as far as I know.

Oh, I've had one 30€ ticket for parking...a noob mistake really.
None, which is suprising considering my way I ride my bike!!!
Quote from farcar :Been driving for 10 years and never been booked for anything. I was pulled over for a breath test about 5 years ago. Just always make sure there's one car nearby going faster and you'll never get pulled over. In most citiesm I'm sure it's not hard.

that doesn't always work...i got my first ticket ~1 year ago after driving for 13 years with no tickets.

i got a ticket for doing 75mph (120km/h) in a 55mph (88km/h), and i was being passed on both sides by faster cars. cop said some bullshit about how he thought i was going to kick it up to 85mph(137km/h) or 90mph(145km/h)...don't know what gave him that idea, i had my cruise control on for over a mile. he then gave me a breathalizer (which read 0.00). ticket ended up being $200us (155euro) with fine and court fees.
That sucks
Quote from duke_toaster :WTF ... Points on your licence for parking fines. Jesus, in the UK they persecute motorists with their stupidly low red flag act style speed limits but they haven't come up with that one yet.

I thought this topic was about tickets and not only speeding tickets. Maybe i was wrong there but also speeding tickets were a personal record in 2006

I don't have a pointliccence (i don't think that's the correct word, but i hope you know what i mean ) New drivers get one nowadays for the first years of their drivingcarreer. I can only lose my licence when i have to get to the what we call "Officier van Justitie" (that is in courth). You can get there by driving more then 50 km over the speedinglimit or by being drunk in your car. I hope i never get there

New drivers get points on their licence for speeding, but this is something wich we are only doing for the last couple of years. I never got such a licence. I've got the good old licence which will last till i'm 70 years old, and even then i can still drive but have to be tested every five years.
-
(Captain Slow) DELETED by Captain Slow
They don't have speeding cameras where I live. And, all red-light cameras are actually illegal in my county.
got 2 within 4 years, but I'm usually in the low-price range, and they caught me because their speed traps were well hidden both times (i.e. no time to react)
first one was 40km/h where 30 were allowed
second one for doing 78 where 70 were allowed

But I don't regret a single of them
Quote from wheel4hummer :They don't have speeding cameras where I live. And, all red-light cameras are actually illegal in my county.

Over here the speeding cameras came up very fast and hard in just a few years time. Now they're on almost every intersection, and they don't just check on running a red light (what they're supposed to do).
Quote from ajp71 :
The 'safety' camera vans are even more bloody annoying there is one that always hides out of sight on days/times when there is little traffic around on a stretch of dual carriage way going down hill just entering a 50 where most traffic is strolling along at 80.

I met one of those safety vans in a place that wasn't exactly very safe on my way into work one morning. It was on a fairly bad bit of road with blind corners most of the way so you can't really see what is around the bend. To my surprise I was having to brake very hard to avoid hitting this police safety van as he parked up with half his van still on the road and with cars coming the other direction I couldn't pass.

There is one particular road that I have to take through town that I just hate. It's a dual carriage way with a speed limit that goes from 30mph to 40mph and back to 30mph. The stretch of road before the roundabout must be less than a mile and has 2 speed cameras, one of them being placed where the speed limit changes and another just after the speed limit goes to 40mph. Then after the roundabout there is another one.

9 months driving and no tickets . Although I nearly got caught when I was running late for a race meeting. The police were hiding in a junction behind some trees on a straight stretch of road, luckily for me I caught a tractor just as we reached there and had to slow down. I've never been more happy to get stuck behind a tractor I hate how the police come out in force when there are race meeting on, local hillclimbs are there favourite days.

Keiran
Number of years since passing test: 3.5
Number of journeys driven in a car since then: 1
Number of times I've broken the speed limit: 1
Number of speed tickets received: none

Was only ~110mph ish for 5 minutes on the M6 Toll, just had to try it. I don't consider the 85mph I was cruising at speeding, this country is speed mad, sure it affects how serious an accident is when one happens, but it's not the only cause of motoring accidents as the government think. Although following their logic to conclusion, if nobody could drive more than 0mph there would never be any motoring accidents (asphyxiation aside).

ajp71 - I agree the speed limit system is awful, plus they should be variable. All limits should go down during the rain/fog/snow (chance would be a fine thing)/ice/etc appropriately. I know some derestricted country lanes where trying to stick to 60 feels a bit risky, yet that's legal.
Quote from glyphon :that doesn't always work...i got my first ticket ~1 year ago after driving for 13 years with no tickets.

i got a ticket for doing 75mph (120km/h) in a 55mph (88km/h), and i was being passed on both sides by faster cars. cop said some bullshit about how he thought i was going to kick it up to 85mph(137km/h) or 90mph(145km/h)...don't know what gave him that idea, i had my cruise control on for over a mile. he then gave me a breathalizer (which read 0.00). ticket ended up being $200us (155euro) with fine and court fees.

Damn, that's unlucky, although 20mph over the limit is quite a lot.
BTW I didn't think cops in The States were allowed to breath test people unless they failed a sobriety test. Is this not the case?

Speeding tickets
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG