The online racing simulator
Logitech lag/packet loss
(19 posts, started )
Logitech lag/packet loss Edit:Caused by force feedback
hey ppl
today i just got myself a logitech formula vibration feedback wheel and when i try and play multiplayer on a server with a ping of 19 the two little bars in the bottom left sky rocket and the game freezes for 1-2 secs every 30 secs or so

i've tried removing logitech program/drivers etc with no success

any1 know what causes this?
#2 - avih
does it happen when you play with mouse/kb instead of your wheel?? do u have any personal firewall running (try closing it)? done any virus/spyware cleanups lately?
it goes away when i unplug the wheel and comes back when i plug it back in, doesn't matter if i use mouse or wheel in the game, kinda annoying since i got the wheel 4 the game
Hmm, interesting. Have you tried different versions of the drivers?
first i tried 4.6 off the logitech website, and the problem started then i tried removing them and just plugging it in and letting windows did it and the same and then i tried the disc it came with 4.5 with the same result
Out of curiousity, what spec is your PC? its extremely unlikely, but possible that it cant handle the game and the wheel at the same time, and its causing some lag.

Also which OS (i.e. windows xp/linux with winex/cegeda) are you running on?
its an AMD 64 3000+ 2gig ram geforce 6600GT

i'm pretty sure that it can handle the wheel and the game, runs in single player nicely

windows xp pro SP2
i've discovered that it goes away if you turn off force feedback
really strange
What is your wheel plugged into? Have it plugged into a power strip that is using too much power maybe? Have any sort of high-powered device on the same circuit? (Like a refrigerator, or something? -- because if those things click on and off, it can spike your power).
As a guess, I'd say that the controller is either spiking, or its loosing power very quickly, causing the game to either wait for it, or reacquire the handle to it (directx sucks that way). Its also possible that your copy of LFS is in some way slightly corrupt. Have you tried perhaps redownloading it?

Have you tried different ports, and different plugs? It maybe a hassle, but as tweak says, you could move it to a different to socket to *test*.
the wheel doesn't have a power plug for it, runs off usb power, my computer is using total 7 plugs i think from 1, i can try using another wall socket see if it makes a difference, i've tried different usb ports with no success. It works fine in single player with force feedback and works fine in multi without f/f

the reason why i got this wheel is cuase my force feedback joystick didn't work properly, the joystick would through itself side to side now i get this one and it doesn't work properly for a different reason
Oh well if it runs off of USB power, then that is why.... Never heard of a logitech force-feedback wheel being powered by USB... it usually should have a 'power pack' to plug into the wall. Or at least, I always use the wall power for the wheel.

Which wheel do you have, the Logitech Formula Force with the red grips? Take a look here and post a link of what wheel you have: http://www.logitech.com/index. ... oductlist/US/EN,crid=2215

Now... because you say this also occurs when the bars go up in the game while online, do you have any other usb devices that use the internet? Perhaps usb router or some device for your internet? Running numerous peripheals through usb power is just bad, unless your system can supply that much power. In most cases, most systems can't. My system can't run without hiccups with 4 or more heavy-power-usage usb devices plugged in and active.

You say you have 7 things plugged into 1? what do you mean? Are you using a USB hub plugged into one usb port on the back of your system?
with the 7 off 1 i meant i have 1 wall socket then a double adaptor too 2 power boards, then off them runs computer, screen, speakers etc. computer works fine so i doubt its them,

i have the nascar wheel, http://www.logitech.com/index. ... ,CRID=2217,CONTENTID=9489
not called that in australia but, its not force feedback it has 2 vibration motors, kinda like a ps2 controller, i can't afford full force feedback

i have the wheel and a digital camera plugged into usb, the camera is only active when i push a button, my internet runs off a wireless connection, might go see if all internet is stuffed when the game is running or just the game, might be some EMF interference??
just incase this problem couldn't get anymore bizarre i have found a solution
as long as i have windows media player running in the background, doesn't matter if it playin music, the ping is fine with force feedback, i guess its a solution but a strange one at that
Quote from DoomTrooper :just incase this problem couldn't get anymore bizarre i have found a solution
as long as i have windows media player running in the background, doesn't matter if it playin music, the ping is fine with force feedback, i guess its a solution but a strange one at that

Holy hell. Why does that work????

I've been searching high and low for a suitable solution to the lag issue without removing FFB... arg. (BTW, it's not just wheels, it also happens with Logi's Rumble Pad).

Thanks DoomTrooper!!! IT WORKS!!! Why... dunno.

I've quoted you in a post over at RSC: http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?p=2677392#post2677392
#16 - Gunn
This is sooo trippy!!!!

I changed my pad from a thrustmaster to a logitech yesterday and had this annoying freeze for a fraction of a second every 5 seconds whenever I played online.

Just tried the media player fix and it works! I have media player loaded but not playing anything and problem solved!
Amazing, we just had a LAN event yesterday with 12 Logitech Vibration Feedback Wheels provided by a sponsor and 8 of us got this problem. Needless to say it was horrible, half a second pause every 5 seconds, and we didn't have a clue why it was happening, we never suspected it's the wheel drivers, those wheels were new to us. If we only knew about these solutions 24 hours ago. Next time I should be reading the forums more thorougly.
Might want to check this thread out, specifically Blowtus' post. It fixed it for me. It has something to do with a power interface driver or something. It worked for me.

Logitech lag/packet loss
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG