The online racing simulator
Just purchased game
(57 posts, started )
#51 - JTbo
There is always hotlapping, you can gain some progress there, don't know if there is any offline leagues, maybe not, but it might be different idea that might interest some players too.

But real task oriented career, I think there is not much else than driving school thing and I really don't know if that will be developed further.
BlowThruStang...I say get online, start out on a server that has the UF1000's. Now, I know you think that is boring, but I can attest, as can others, a large field of the UF1000's is probably the most intense, competitive driving I have witnessed. Same goes for the STCC Bronze servers. It is not always about speed, but skill.

I used to be a huge fan of Gran Turismo, bot I look back at it as being corny and very arcade like; it was just TOO easy to win. Others are like me who like to start at the back of the pack and see how many people they can pass on skill and determination. I could care less if I win, it is the satisfaction of that new PB for driving my *** off, or being able to pass a person equal in skill or speed after being behind them, stratagising for several laps.

Give it one hour a day online minimum for one month, and see how you feel then. I hope to see and race you sometime!
LFS does not use contrived limits like unlocks to make the "game" progress. Instead it uses very detailed timekeeping which keeps you wanting to go faster and faster, as your friends and online competitors keep doign the same. It's a constant challenge! Just when I think I've mastered a car, I find that I'm actually seconds off the pace... finding those extra seconds to be able to win a race is a REAL challenge. Playing LFS you will discover what racing is all about. Playing GT4 is really just playing a game... you keep unlocking things and the bar is artificially raised. You're basically on tracks, on a set path that is nothing at all like the real racing world.

Trust me... get online and set about getting up to speed to the other drivers. It won't be easy (which is why we suggest the UF1000 first - you could also try the FOX for a fast open-wheeler that is easy to drive). Use LFS World to track your performance, keep pushing hard to get that "Personal Best" message on your screen as you cross the line. It's fun, it's really addictive, and it's always changing.

I don't understand your comments on cars being slow... perhaps you should watch some other drivers online and see if you're doing something wrong?
Quote from JTbo :There is always hotlapping, you can gain some progress there, don't know if there is any offline leagues, maybe not, but it might be different idea that might interest some players too.

Good idea, for those without the time or desire for online play.

Don't know if it's been done with LFS, but all it takes is someone willing to put in the effort of organizing and maintaining it.

If you have the time and desire, start a thread and look for other people interested. I have no interest in it, but I participated in one years ago(when it was the only option), and it was more interesting than just racing the AI alone. And it was a motivation to get better, which it sounds like is what you are looking for.

The thing is, just because you plugged in the game and didn't immediatly get what you expected, don't give up on it. There is a lot of depth to the game which you just aren't experiencing at the moment. You may well be surprised at what you find.
My advice is to buy a Playstation 2 USB converter for your PC. Then you can use your PS2 pad for LFS, it takes some getting used to but once you get the hang of it you should enjoy the game more. Its not ideal but its easier to just pick it up and play then having a noisy FFB wheel.
Quote from Sticky-Micky :that is one killer burnout

Is that a flaming banana I see on the horizon?

Didn't S1 used to lock the 'advanced' cars?
One of his points was that he drives a semi... I am guessing he is a long-haul driver and sleeps in the cab at night at rest stops. There is most likely no way to have an internet connection in that case.

I spend a lot of time with LFS offline. I do some hot lapping, but mostly I am preparing for league races. It would be tough to race in a league if you are gone from home for weeks at a time.

If you are into sports car racing, then LFS is really the best sim out there. It provides challenges on a different level than an arcade game does. Unfortunately in your case, to get the full enjoyment out of it, you really need to race online with other real people. You can spend a lot of time making skins, perfecting setups, working on getting that last 10th out of a particular combination, but the true satisfaction comes from racing other people online.

Just ignore the snide American bashers out there. We will just take the higher ground and assume they were just tongue in cheek comments.

Just purchased game
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG