The online racing simulator
Just purchased game
(57 posts, started )
#26 - SamH
@ EeekiE, I really wanted to take a moment to agree with you wholeheartedly. We are a bit of an exception, as devotees of LFS. We're looking for a fundamentally solid physics environment to race in, and that's why we're here. It's an all round more intelligent approach to online racing, I think, than some other racing games we could mention
Quote from K.David :And again someone who isn't totally satisfied with LFS gets hostile response, why? Just read through all the posts... illepall Some of the fanboys here have serious issues.
The devs received another 24 pounds so who cares if he doesn't like LFS? I don't. Do you?

The responces are due to everyone asking themselves the very same thing;

"Why would anyone buy a game that they have already tried, then proceed to join a forum full of people who like/love the game if they don't even like the game in the first place!"
Quote from K.David :And again someone who isn't totally satisfied with LFS gets hostile response, why? Just read through all the posts... illepall Some of the fanboys here have serious issues.
The devs received another 24 pounds so who cares if he doesn't like LFS? I don't. Do you?

I dont think people are giving a hostile response to me it seems more of a confused one. The demo gives an indication of what the game will be like, the only thing it doesnt give u is the fast cars and oher tracks. If you like the demo then you like the sim and surely will like s2. If you dont like demo then dont like sim racing and chances you wont like s2 BUT if he liked the demo how can he not like s2?
#29 - SamH
I think what we should all appreciate is honesty, and BlowThruStang is being honest. I can't criticize for that! And BlowThruStang's interested enough to wander into the forum and say it, which means that surely all is not lost..

So we can, NICELY, point out some of the +positives+ of LFS.. help him to understand how LFS works, and what it's about. If at the end of all that, the guy still doesn't think that the LFS way is the better way, then we can help him find what he's looking for.

We've all got the capacity to react harshly when someone breathes a dissenting word.. but the points everyone is making are valid points.

"Don't knock it til you've tried it" is fair comment.. LFS IS online-oriented. My recommendation is to check out LFSWorld (www.lfsworld.net) and find out how the LFS system works.. see if you feel like climbing the ranks, attracting the attention of, and joining a team (by getting bloody good at driving, cleanly), getting involved in a league..

There are so many options available to you, as an LFS licence holder.. but SO much of it is NOT immediately apparent. You unlock the game, and WHAM.. you THINK you've gone as far as you can go. You haven't begun, in fact.. it's actually a REALLY long road ahead
#30 - joen

There's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion about the game, but if you want to accomplish something with that opinion I would say more is needed than just saying you don't like it. And surely ignorance is part of his opinion, given the fact he doesn't know how the game works.
#31 - CSU1
Quote from BlowThruStang :I Guess its not at all as I expected. I played and liked the demo cause I figured the other cars would be much faster. Do I need to download the tweak program to make it enjoyable. Also didnt know it would be access all cars and tracks right then. I love Gran Turismo's set up. Oh well 50 bucks gone already.

ow

.....Now thats a good point!
Quote from BlowThruStang :Also didnt know it would be access all cars and tracks right then. I love Gran Turismo's set up. Oh well 50 bucks gone already.

...I think maybe Trisancliffs mases would like to see a "career mode/life mode"!, yes that would be wonderful, somethin to do
Quote from SamH :I think what we should all appreciate is honesty, and BlowThruStang is being honest. I can't criticize for that! And BlowThruStang's interested enough to wander into the forum and say it, which means that surely all is not lost..

So we can, NICELY, point out some of the +positives+ of LFS.. help him to understand how LFS works, and what it's about. If at the end of all that, the guy still doesn't think that the LFS way is the better way, then we can help him find what he's looking for.

We've all got the capacity to react harshly when someone breathes a dissenting word.. but the points everyone is making are valid points.

"Don't knock it til you've tried it" is fair comment.. LFS IS online-oriented. My recommendation is to check out LFSWorld (www.lfsworld.net) and find out how the LFS system works.. see if you feel like climbing the ranks, attracting the attention of, and joining a team (by getting bloody good at driving, cleanly), getting involved in a league..

There are so many options available to you, as an LFS licence holder.. but SO much of it is NOT immediately apparent. You unlock the game, and WHAM.. you THINK you've gone as far as you can go. You haven't begun, in fact.. it's actually a REALLY long road ahead

I guess he's thinking of it like singler player game, so to speak, you start at the bottom with the shittist weapons and work your way through to the next level, gaining new more powerful weapons on the way.

But that's not LFS, you just race (to put it very, very basically) and with time you get faster and better.
#33 - SamH
Quote from garph :But that's not LFS, you race and with time you get faster and better.

Yep! And in LFS, you progress in the community!

Okay.. so in GranTurismo you run unrealistic physics to climb the ranks, you win the cars, you get the points.. and at the end of it, who knows about it? Except everyone in your house, that is. Oh wow.

Now, in LFS.. who hasn't heard of biggie? Bawbag? Chris Redman's beginning to get noticed.. Tristancliffe? Victor Szabo?

The point being, LFS is community-oriented.. and when you succeed, a LOT of people (REAL people) respect you, admire you, want to race with you (and wish they could beat you!).. LFS is SO much bigger than your living room.
LOL. I'd never thought about it from that point of view, if you were expecting a single player experience like in GranTurismo for example, you'd obviously think, "WTF I have brought this for, everything is already unlocked"!

That doesn't excuse him from being a dumbass and missing the point of LFS but I understand a little better now, I may cut the next person a little more slack.
switch off the pit limiter already
#36 - SamH
when i first heard about lfs it wasnt even common knowledge. it was in its beta beta beta stage ( when the drivers didnt even wear driver suits!)

what i liked about it was the fact i was racing with other REAL LIFE drivers... better than ANY AI in ANY game..

if you played much of the demo, then you should have a pretty reasonable understanding of how to drive, i dont know if you have a wheel or not but you should get one if you dont.

i think you should just give it a good try.. do 10,000 miles then come back and see what you think..

there are many things you can do in www.lfsworld.net
Quote from SabersKunk :switch off the pit limiter already

Oddly enough, reading the posts of that guy, I seriously think this may be the solution ;D
I blame MTV..........

LFS is a "slow burner" IMO, it doesnt give you instant thrills, you have to work at it to make it fun.

GT4 is a fun game, but for pure racing kicks, LFS is the best bar none.
Yeah I did have a problem with pit limiter, I dont think I have completed a lap online. But I drive a semi Tractor Trailer.. Demo is Great but didnt realize it didnt have a career mode, I'm not online as much as the rest of you. I cant put a wheel in the semi without doing something custom. Not exactly worried about the money. Plenty where that came from. I guess theres more to come in lfs 3?
#41 - wien
Quote from BlowThruStang :I guess theres more to come in lfs 3?

More, sure. But still more of the same. I doubt LFS will ever have a career mode if that's what you're after. LFS is first and foremost an online multiplayer sim. The AI might improve to the level of being somewhat of a challenge though, so you may be able to have some fun there.
Wein is right, LFS is not that kind of game, it's 99.99999% focused on online play not a GranTurismo, TOCA racing driver, Need for Speed career style single player game and it never will be.

More about the (online) racing simulator
Its a personal choice I think, if you don't want to play simply don`t. And I don`t think that we need to open up a fresh thread for this. LFS is the greatest SIM for me and everyone who loves it and I don`t spoon feed it to any one.

Cheers!
What does it say under the name of the game?

What do you think the focus of the game might be?

It's a common flaw these days that people want everything handed to them on a plate without any of the work. Look at the effort being put into MMORPGs to make characters earn experience faster because people are sick of grinding. Like anything, if you want to be the best you can be, but it takes a lot of work.

You only see how great LFS truly is when you're fighting other players online. Even if there was a career mode right now it'd be pointless because the AI isn't great and people would have no trouble winning all their races.

Take your game online, play against real people and you'll soon find yourself wanting to shave off those milliseconds to catch that swine in front. But FFS at least complete a race before you complain about it.
@All those who are saying "go play it online instead": just because LFS is an online game, it doesn't mean a career (or ladder, w/e) is not possible. I think it's a bit narrow-minded to be saying "ffs don't complain". I can see a career mode being fun and challenging, even online .
Sam has a good point, the fact that cars and tracks are 'unlocked' doesn't mean they are. For many more traditionally minded games players, it's not their fault it's how the industry has catered to them for years, the point is to unlock the 'power ups'. This isn't the way LFS works, the fact that I could drive the FO8 right now does not mean that I can. I can't, well, almost can't.

LFS is more about what you do once those things are unlocked, in an online environment, as part of a community - a bit like playing World of Warcraft with a maximum level character. The problem is, to start with you dont know what to do with that character except wander around and look at monsters that cant kill you.

More than any other race game, LFS is about just how good you are at racing. Most race games are single player orientated, and so people think they are good because they beat the game - and they drive around in the real world riced up Ford Mondeo's just to prove the point - but LFS will actually test how good you really are by pitching you against other people who actually are, without question, a damned site better than you...

There is no best in LFS, because there's loads of cars and loads of tracks and every one has a master (usually biggie), and tens of thousands of people are around trying to become that master, for one moment, on one server...

It is LFS that is outside of the box. Where other games stop, LFS starts, and what we have here is a conceptual issue where a customer hasn't grasped what LFS is really about and/or isn't interested in what it is about, lets face it, as a single player game LFS definately sucks baboons intimate feminine area.
Still I can see an offline career mode being of some benefit not only to new players, but also to the community. Because if you in fact have "beaten the game" (or at least part of it) you're more likely to be in good shape for the online experience. Also, I remember that when I started LFS, I was quite reluctant to go online, because I was afraid to be a nuisance to more experienced players. Of course, racing offline against the AI wasn't much fun, so eventually I had to jump on a server ... which was good ... so maybe the crappy AI does have it's benefits after all
Something to maybe think about if your not into racing online with people, is hot lapping.

I have done some of this and it takes ages to do each track in each car. I usally start by just doing a clean lap and posting the time up. Then after i've done all the laps find which one im slowest at and concentrate a bit on improving my time, normally pretty easy at first, learning the car / track then tweeking around with the setup. I can normally get within a few secs of the WR on the shorter tracks.

I find it a personal challange to become better.
Also on the topic of modifications that you can add to your car;

IMO the "LFS world" modding is done with the hardware you play the game with. Modifing/making your own periferals /racing cockpits or even buying top of the line stuff, can realy upgrade the game, just like real car modding.

Just purchased game
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG