The online racing simulator
Change rear wings
(63 posts, started )
Quote from Midnight_purple :when you drift, you WANT it 2 spin, but not to much so you spin around, the XRT is perfect for drifting, many drifters, with or without licence, drift with the XRT

Do you really think someone playing LFS since 2003 and having nearly 6000 forum posts doesn't know that? :rolleyes:

By the way, "spin" is actually used for a complete turnaround - simply when the car rotates so much it is unrecoverable. You don't "spin" while drifting, you try to avoid it. It all depends on what cars you are used to driving in LFS, through. If you spend a week on LX4/6 or on the more powerful formulas then you'll find the XRT to drive like on rails. If you are used to the GTi or maybe the XRG then the XRT will seem quite easy to spin.
XRG - now that IS impossible to spin. I spent about an hour last year on the cyberseat TRYING to spin the damn thing, and it just wouldn't... XRT can spin if you let it, but the chances of it happening by accident are slim. When it does start to slide you have about a month's notice, 2 months to do something about, and the pedals don't care what you do.

I'm pretty sure the point of drifting is to NOT spin. If you do people will hold up big plackards saying 'Noob' and point at you until you go home.
okay, can we return to the topic or just lock this damn tread
Quote from tristancliffe :That wing is rice, 100%. Just because a manufacturer decides to fit it doesn't make it any less ricey.

Can you point me to where Mercedes have published figures for the car with and without the wing. Otherwise, how do you know it actually does anything? Isn't it possible it was fitted to sell more cars to yuppies (the only people who buy Mercs) who think big wing must translate to big testicles?

Read last paragraph plox.
I read what I think the plox is, and it mentions nothing about downforce or drag. However, this data was already found (if you read the thread), and it was agreed that this wing is probably to reduce lift than to produce downforce, and was positioned high up on legs to work properly with the high roof line that car has.

What is a plox?
Quote from Shotglass :those two are the same btw

They are both reducing the upwards force at their mount point but that's not what Tristan was implying.

Wings vs Spoilers.
Wings are standalone aero devices that create negative lift at speed. Spoilers are an add-on that change the lift characteristics of the vehicle body but wouldn't do much if you took it off the vehicle body and mounted it on a pole extending from the roof.
A wing works the same wherever it is mounted (ignoring pressure variations for a moment).
Does ride height affect wing angles in lfs now? After 'high nose' issue fix, I tought it does, but now I'm not sure.
We can change absolute angle of a wing or angle according to cars axis?

And to TheGreatestDriverWithBanditBlueVisor: I will tell you in secret, that there are people which can laugh at your mistakes on the track too, and call your car a shopping-cart also. I can tell this, because I'm not one of them actually. They have just enough honour to not laugh people in face, that they have less money, worse car, less practise or just less talent.
Ah, I see a comment there directed at me.

My car is not a shopping-cart, it is a hairdressers car. Get it right if you plan on insulting me, else I'll turn it around and make you look silly.
Fine, laugh at my mistakes. But I assure you I will be laughing at my own mistakes before anyone else.
Since when have I said I am the greatest driver? I'm crap to be honest, also with very little experience.
Less money - maybe. We're not exactly rich, and have to go without a lot of things other people do spend their money on. Our TV is something like 22 inches, which is, on average, half the size of everyone elses in the UK. Worse car - than what? In many ways it doesn't get much worse than what I have. Less Practice - I've done about 20 miles in the F3 car in total (not including tootling in the paddock :P) - so I've got less practice than a crap thing. Less talent - I've got more than my brother, but less than the vast vast majority of people.

I'm trying to think where you might form this (wrong) opinion of me. Because I think driving an F1 car would be easy? Because I have a basic knowledge of car aerodynamics? Because I don't like ricers, or 99% of FWD cars? Please tell me. I'm a nobody, but as soon as people start insulting you for almost no reason then you know you've got at least some noteriety.
Actually nobody believe that you are so poor, and after turning all things around what you said about yourself, you don't look even silly.

I'll let your knowledge alone, because everybody can see it in your some (thousands) posts. The problem which I have, is that you laugh at people which cannot do what you can. All this sarcasm, while you drive a car for minimum 6 years, lot of kart racing, some more powerful single-seaters etc. You drove only 20 miles in F3 car, and I drove loooong 20min in 3.5bhp go-kart! All my 'practise' was on public road and there wasn't many times to push the car to the limit and wait what will happen and I'm sure that I'll spin xrt too in real when going very fast. In lfs some racing in mrt solved the problem, but, still you CAN spin every car. If you, with your crap driving, crap practise and 22 inch tv can handle the BF1 w/o TC then, how to name guys who can't? Idiots? Retired? If you laugh at people with less skill, it's like laugh that someone is poor and you're rich, someone is ugly and you are handsome. It's a metrosexualistic racism. You think people drive 75bhp hatches instead of 300bhp machine because they like? You look and think why aren't they all drive a 911 turbo? Ricers or what?

And driving a F1 car maybe would be easy, until you drive less then 500% of normal laptime, else, typical idiotic, retired driver, like me, would rather pee under himself and feel the pain from G-forces.

Oh, one more thing. I don't know is it my bad English or your manipulation, but I'm NOT the one which can laugh at your mistakes and for sure I don't have better car than you. No need to talk about practise and skill.
Maybe my TV is bigger, but who care :P
XRG you can spin if you are reckless, otherwise, it gives you alot of information and is so slow you can correct it in time. XRT sometimes has snap oversteer in corelation with when boost is applied, and only at low speed.

Having add on wings, on my opinion, is silly and needless for demo cars.
#62 - SamH
Guys, would it be possible to get back on topic?

Some of you.. geez.. get a roooom!
Quote from jayhawk : Having add on wings, on my opinion, is silly and needless for demo cars.

Yes. Until we don't have downhill track where you're speeding at vmax throught bumpy road there is no need for that. Or even then...

I'm thinking about a competitor for RAC and FZ5 with adjustable wing and street tyres. Any pretext is good to have one more car

Change rear wings
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG