The online racing simulator
AI's learn for each setup?
(15 posts, started )
Does the ai cars learn from each setup individually or will they drive differently/faster on a new setup if they have used a different setup before..

also is it possible to reset them to how they are when lfs is first installed?
Yes the AI's learn both the track (to be faster each lap)... and they learn the setup you give them too (if you set "AI use player setup").

You can reset them in two ways...

1) Make new AI by renaming all the characters. Renaming the AI will make new 'drivers' and they have to learn all over again under that new name.

2) Also you can delete the skill "knowledge" files in the LFS/data/knw folder. They will look something like: WE1R_AI10_RB4_PRO.knw

Delete All the KNW files and they will be reset.

The AI Driver Profile files are in the LFS/data/drv folder and be named something like: AI 3.drv
ok i understand that the ai learns from each car/setup/track combination but i want to know if a particular ai used set A and then used set B will it drive differently on set B than if it did not use set A? or does it use what it learned with set A ONLY with set A?

..yeah odd question but im bored
Yeah the AI learns with a specific setup you give it usually. There is no way of checking though, afaik. If you then give it a different setup, it will surely drive it differently because it is used to its previous setup.

Usually though, the AI just follow a general line, and there isn't much of a difference
the ai would tend to use set B with the knowledge adquired in A. So yes he will drive B using optimal knowledge from A. He is not set aware, so he will always use whatever set to best of his knowledge. So in short term he will indeed learn new things. Its mostly trial and error learning. They are also not fuel aware yet and dats why if u teach an AI on lowfuel, he will go well overthe limit on hi fuel. Also not aware of car/tyres condition. Its like a dumb tamagotchi.
Your control of what AI does, his performance, is totally set dependant. If u see lockups lower the brake force, if u see he is timid out of corners u can do sets that are a lot more unstable, oversteery with higher tyre pressures etc. i try to counter the performance deficiencies via feeding him sets that counter his knowledge bad tendencies.
Doing it well and with patience u can so an AI for a specific track and condition that would win 90%+ of lfs racers.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :Its like a dumb tamagotchi.

Have you ever seen an intelligent tamagotchi?

But yes, the AI is really unfinished at the moment. I recall Scawen saying that it's not even real trial and error, but rather calculating a theoretically "better" line each lap and using it, without ever checking if the new line actually resulted in a better time. Quite flawed and not really usable, but it's not like the AI was a high priority issue in the past. It will be overworked before S2 goes final, however (it is one of the big points why S2 isn't considered final yet).
The funny part is that the AI is actually better than 90% of other driving games, now many AI's could hold a slide the way they do!!
Quote from Robster230 :The funny part is that the AI is actually better than 90% of other driving games, now many AI's could hold a slide the way they do!!

I doubt that. It's true that they can hold a slide in cars like the XRT, FZ5 and LX6, but, honestly, who cares if they constantly crash into you from all possible directions, block you, cut you off and take banked turns at 50 % of the possible speed because they're not aware of the banking illepall.

But still I don't see that as a major flaw, as we know they will be considerably improved before S2 goes final and LFS is all about online play anyway. That's where the fun is .
by better I mean they can actually offer a challenge... every other game you can beat them without trying...

with LFS, once the AI have had about 60 laps (and stop crashing) and aren't on the Oval, they're actually quite quick.. my ADSL goes down all the time, and as a result I have some really well trained AI
Quote from Linsen :and take banked turns at 50 % of the possible speed because they're not aware of the banking illepall.

I wondered why they were always so slow on the banked turns.
Quote from Neil777 :I wondered why they were always so slow on the banked turns.

They will but then they start to oscilate their steering input and will crash every singel lap. At least that's what mine did (bf1).
Actually, mine even start to oscillate steering on the blackwood backstraight in the BF1. I don't know what that is all about ... Probably trying to heat up tires as they're not much faster than pace car speed anyway
I think they can't handle the speed. Saw them do that in FZR's too. When they are still too slow they don't do it but once they figured out how fast they can go this oscillation starts. The AI is the same as in S1 so its's pushed beyond its limits at speeds of 250+ km/h
Even with the current limitations the AI can be a lot of fun. I generally like to start at the back of the pack and work my way through the crowd. Yes, the AI tends to bump and nudge a lot, but with practice you can learn when to pass and when not to. The AI is basically worthless on tracks like Kyoto because of the banking or the Aston chicane, but they can be fun on tracks like Westhill and Blackwood. Give them a decent setup and run against 8 cars for 6 laps while handicapping yourself with a passenger or two. Great fun! Once they learn to take tire condition, fuel, and banking into account they should be a lot quicker. And once they can pit it will be possible to have really long races against AI, test pit strategies, etc.

Bring on the updated AI, Scawen!
Quote from Ramses :They will but then they start to oscilate their steering input and will crash every singel lap. At least that's what mine did (bf1).

they always did that with very wide front tyres at high speeds ... try s1 with tweaked cars

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG