The online racing simulator
Netcode...
(31 posts, started )
Netcode...
I know its been said that the netcode has been improved...to me it seems its the other way around...alost impossible to rub shoulders with another car without being sent in to the atmosphere.... also the starts seems to be ..hmm..trickier to me....have to litteraly floor the throttle to get off the line in a decent way...am i the only one that feels this way,or are there others that share my opinion....
You always have to floor the trhottle, it's the best way to start in LFS curently..
About netcode, well, i didn't noticed any wierd behaviour with someone close to me, i had some very very close contacts and batlles with Patch V, but i did notice much bigger stutter with Patch V when someone leaves the garage, and when someone skin is being downloaded, the cars ahed of me lagg much more than before..
Quote from Boris Lozac :but i did notice much bigger stutter with Patch V when someone leaves the garage, and when someone skin is being downloaded, the cars ahed of me lagg much more than before..

Same here.
the starts i mean actually keeping full throttle before the green lights..ive never done that in the past....that would cause heavy engine damage...
Quote from NorwegianViper :...alost impossible to rub shoulders with another car without being sent in to the atmosphere....

I will agree with you on this point. I don't know if it's any worse than before but I've had a few races this week where I was running right next to another car, had a slight touch, then was sent flying. It's only happened a couple of times out of probably 50 races or more, so it's not a huge issue (and again, maybe no worse than before anyway). I think the key to fixing this is the same as the key to fixing "atmosphere barriers" - the cars need to absorb some energy when they hit another object instead of acting like a golf ball. Hopefully Scawen can address this when he does physics work in the future.
Quote from NorwegianViper :the starts i mean actually keeping full throttle before the green lights..ive never done that in the past....that would cause heavy engine damage...

Don't be silly..
That is not modelled yet, just floor the throttle because everyone is doing the same..
I don't know how didn't you noticed this before, didn't you noticed that you are being overtaken at the starting line every time??
Quote from Boris Lozac :Don't be silly..
That is not modelled yet, just floor the throttle because everyone is doing the same..
I don't know how didn't you noticed this before, didn't you noticed that you are being overtaken at the starting line every time??

Don't be silly...
Engine damage has been (somewhat) modelled since S1. In S2 we got (somewhat too effective) rev limiters, so the popcorn factor was reduced to (somewhat) non-existent. Some cars do get engine damage sooner than others, especially during flat shifting (XRR is FZR's little bitch).
Quote from spankmeyer :Don't be silly...
Engine damage has been (somewhat) modelled since S1. In S2 we got (somewhat too effective) rev limiters, so the popcorn factor was reduced to (somewhat) non-existent. Some cars do get engine damage sooner than others, especially during flat shifting (XRR is FZR's little bitch).

No, i meant the engine damage while flooring it on the start, you can't damage an engine like that..
I know that you can, by overreving it on some cars, and flat shifting..
The full throttle thing is something about partly unfinished/wrong tire physics and I really really really hope it will be fixed earlier than the start system.

When there are free starts in the future, nobody will notice this "bug" anymore, because there will be interessting starts with the different reaction times on the signal.

So this tire physics bug should be corrected and THEN also a free start should be possible ... this would be great for S2 beta/final ...
Now, that flooring on start issue isn't something new, it's there since S2. It's not that unrealistic though... I mean, in a low powered road car it makes sense to do that to keep the revs up (I imagine that rev limiters also work in neutral)... I'm convinced that with the implementation of false starts (with one of the next incompatible patches), it won't be much of an issue anymore... But yes, I'd like to see the clutch model improved anyway...

But I don't have problems with collisions... Yes, they still don't absorb the impact energy and send you spinning even with a slight tap, but I don't get much moonflights anymore...
Ok its interesting to see ur replies....perhaps its something my end maybe the number of "moonflights" havent increased but the effects of a slight touch is (to me atleast) worse and me no likey!
Quote from NorwegianViper :Ok its interesting to see ur replies....perhaps its something my end maybe the number of "moonflights" havent increased but the effects of a slight touch is (to me atleast) worse and me no likey!

Can't say I've noticed it being any worse with patch V, I've had light contact with a number of cars and survived. But then I thought that it had gotten worse in the move from S1 to S2 and has never recovered its rubbing-racing-friendly nature.
Quote from sinbad :Can't say I've noticed it being any worse with patch V, I've had light contact with a number of cars and survived. But then I thought that it had gotten worse in the move from S1 to S2 and has never recovered its rubbing-racing-friendly nature.

Those would be my words exactly.
#15 - Tube
Quote from NorwegianViper :I know its been said that the netcode has been improved...to me it seems its the other way around

100% agreed.

since patch V it's worse than ever before. I have massive problems with cars "jumping" out of the track (late packets?), then reappearing right in front of my car. I was racing on AsGP with the GTR cars in a large grid today and there were tons of lag-induced crashes.

I suggest to completely reverse the "multiplayer update". Right now, it's nearly as bad as in NFS.
I had an incident on the STCC New server the other day where I me and someone else had two different lines for a corner, we were level, touched the softest touch and then both spun out. In the hatchbacks.....
I'm noticing much more cars than warps around than before, and when someone joins/leaves/pits there is often some lag aswell.

But what really annoys me, and this seems to happen a lot more now, is the "a player is connecting"-messages. Both when joining and pitting. I'm still waiting for the "can't turn right - a player is connecting" though.
I don't know about you guys, but on my interwebs the netcode has been a-ok since the patch.

I'll bet 10 buckazoids the problem is your router/modem/ISP/knots on the underwater optic cable/position of Saturn's third ring/insert any possible reason.

And Tube's comment had a stench of trolling...
Quote from NorwegianViper :alost impossible to rub shoulders with another car without being sent in to the atmosphere

I haven't noticed a significant difference in collissions that result in lag hits... I get as many as I have ever had being on a low speed connection I get more than my fair share I think the whole issue is more about the physics calutlation around the collisons than the netcode itself... and that can only change in an incompatible patch I guess
I've played quite a lot since V was released, and I have not noticed any of the suggested problems so far.

Things are quite smooth in my experiences ( the usual sporadic lag in a large field when people join).

However, the net code STILL fails to implant the knowledge in some users that 20 cars in front of you heading into turn one = more brake, less gas. The Dev's need to increase the frequency in the wave emitting sanity blaster. All in good time.
to mee the netcode hasnt gone anywhere, its still crap! thats being brutaly honest,
I mean new menu items and spedos and we still have farked gameplay , bad phisics, bad collisions,1 person connects at a time and lags the **** out of everything
to me the game should be fixed before menu funtions I mean FARK this is soo frustrating for me as we have 3 semi interested developers and infinate ****ing talant on these forums, is it their egos or what illepall
they better do something soon 40% according to the poll regarding V dont like it and its growning not to mention half the servers wont even implement V
Quote from seinfeld :FARK this is soo frustrating for me...

Um the physics are very good the online play is very good the collision detection is good, but there needs to be something done about the lag hits (i.e. LFS stores heading and speed info for each car for x amount of steps in the physics generator so it can cross check collision impact forces or something similar) and the sounds are pretty good considering they are a work in progress.

I mean there not forcing us to play LFS you do it willingly so it can't be that bad

I got GTR2 for xmas and have played it quite abit in the last 2 weeks (especially the V8 Supercar mod, I just love anything with Bathurst ) but I can tell you right now that in the year 2007 that LFS will get 90% or more of my PC time because it's physics are more believable, it's netcode is better and it is just so easy to fire up and jump into an online race...
Quote from Boris Lozac :but i did notice much bigger stutter with Patch V when someone leaves the garage

Yes, same here.

Quote :and when someone skin is being downloaded

Yes, same here.

Quote :the cars ahed of me lagg much more than before..

And yes, same here...

Not to mention that every car seems to lag a lot at the start of a full grid race.

All of that when playing on a patch V server even with a good old patch U client. You can notice the difference when playing on a patch =< U30 server.
Quote from seinfeld :to mee the netcode hasnt gone anywhere, its still crap! thats being brutaly honest,
I mean new menu items and spedos and we still have farked gameplay , bad phisics, bad collisions,1 person connects at a time and lags the **** out of everything
to me the game should be fixed before menu funtions I mean FARK this is soo frustrating for me as we have 3 semi interested developers and infinate ****ing talant on these forums, is it their egos or what illepall
they better do something soon 40% according to the poll regarding V dont like it and its growning not to mention half the servers wont even implement V

Just for the record: you're not making any sense.
OMG, I'm on 56k dialup and connect all over the world! I rarely lag out. The netcode is so horrible![/sarcasm]

Netcode...
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG