The online racing simulator
"wrecker barricade network"
(38 posts, started )
Just outta curiosity, How many people get reported to the barricade in week?
I don't need exact numbers, just an average.

I've seen wreckers and seen more so since S-2, But I hadn't really seen a whole lot. But I don't race as much anymore either. And I know all it takes is just one to get on the server and ruin it for everyone.

Now I have seen wrecks that resulted in arguments and voting to ban and all, but most of those were just accidents not some sort of deliberate wreck

LOL on more than a few of those accidents, i wanted to ban the victim more
because of how they acted afterwards. I just can't stand hot heads that seem to think playing a video game is a life or death experience.
#27 - SamH
In the last week or so, actually, there's been a pretty sizeable increase in the number of reports we've received. I'd say 2 or 3 per day at the moment. Many of them, but not all, involving the STCC server.. probably because of the popularity of the server at the moment and the throughput of drivers, and also of course because of the fairly rapid track rotation. Sometimes it results in people driving inadequate sets, to get a good position in the first race of a new track.. from small details, mighty grudges grow

Another factor - and one that I think is probably pretty important - is the release of Patch V. An email went out to everyone with a licence notifying them of the release of Patch V, and we've seen a lot of people who haven't driven LFS in quite a while, joining busy servers and messing about. Casual S2 licencees can be a bit of a hazard on-track, and I think we've seen quite a bit of that.

I'm pretty sure that it'll quieten down in the new year. Before Patch V and the advent of the STCC tiered server licencing system, we were probably seeing 2 or less reports per week.
But, there are many people that are just after buying a licensce and are not used to these all unlocked tracks and they're getting banned for nothing, but where would they learn to drive? For me the best way to learn to drive is just spectating and looking they way other, better people drive. I bought licence week ago and i'm slowly getting used to tracks,cars and they way ppl drive but i'm still not perfect. If i crash somebody i always say sorry cause i don't want to be hated in such a great community which S2 is. I've got banned at 1 server already because admin didn't like they way i drove huh but nobody is perfect am i right?
#29 - SamH
You are right

The barricade doesn't stop good people racing, it stops bad people wrecking. Not bad drivers - we all start off bad drivers - but bad people with bad intentions
Quote from SamH :You are right

The barricade doesn't stop good people racing, it stops bad people wrecking. Not bad drivers - we all start off bad drivers - but bad people with bad intentions

It's so good to se ppl reading what you wrote but btt, I've met few ppl at the servers that are doing it like this. If you crash them you say sorry they're like don't giving a f*** and voting to ban you and just saying "crasher!! ban him!! crashed my car" And what people doing then? They're pressing 1 and voting to ban you i'm not saying that such a people are everywhere but you can meet then even i S2 serwers. Thank God that are much more people like you SamH than those bads in S2 Thanks for reading my stuff :P
Quote from SamH :In the last week or so, actually, there's been a pretty sizeable increase in the number of reports we've received. I'd say 2 or 3 per day at the moment. Many of them, but not all, involving the STCC server.. probably because of the popularity of the server at the moment and the throughput of drivers, and also of course because of the fairly rapid track rotation. Sometimes it results in people driving inadequate sets, to get a good position in the first race of a new track.. from small details, mighty grudges grow

Another factor - and one that I think is probably pretty important - is the release of Patch V. An email went out to everyone with a licence notifying them of the release of Patch V, and we've seen a lot of people who haven't driven LFS in quite a while, joining busy servers and messing about. Casual S2 licencees can be a bit of a hazard on-track, and I think we've seen quite a bit of that.

I'm pretty sure that it'll quieten down in the new year. Before Patch V and the advent of the STCC tiered server licencing system, we were probably seeing 2 or less reports per week.

LOL I finally went on that server... and yeah after I finally installed patch V.
and dammit, I caused a wreck too. (yeah, it was my fault, 3 wide is intense and I was watching out for one & didn't see the other)
But it really was a cool server! There was quite a bit of paint swapping and banging, but not mindless crashes or spins, just close racing If I can make the time I would like to pursue the different medals. I think y'all have a good thing with this
I have not had time to read everything so sorry if this has been mentioned already.
Its not always the admins that kick people, its idiots who just take over the server, they all vote together the moment anyone connects to ban them so they can have the server to themselves.
Its VERY annoying luckally it has only happend to me a couple of times mostly on the stunt racing server.
i don't think such an "organisation" is necessary. user vote should be enough to ban people from servers. and nothing else. this is like self-justice and not a basis-democracy like it should be.
Unfortunately Fischfix, vote-bans are frequently abused. I wont even have it enabled on my servers. The first problem is that when it is live people make the wrong decisions without viewing the replay. Secondly, people who crash are far more savvied up on vote banning than the people who have been crashed.

Vote banning works if you all take time to view the replay, but nobody does because it's awkward to do so when racing.

The wrecker barricade isn't about blaming people for accidents, it's about removing persistent wreckers from race servers. When I review an accident on the barricade (at which i'm about a week behind at the moment *ooops*) I take a view on whether it was deliberate - this is pretty easy: Wreckers do some pretty extreme things, like driving the wrong way, full throttle into T1 and so on, chasing down their victims, parking across the track on a fast/blind bend etc.

I then ban for 90 days and make a note of the LFSW name. If they do it again after their ban expires, i'll ban for life.

For me the barricade is a way of removing persistent bad apples. It's not about acting as judge, jury and executioner.
Quote from Becky Rose :
The wrecker barricade isn't about blaming people for accidents, it's about removing persistent wreckers from race servers.

Wreckers do some pretty extreme things, like driving the wrong way, full throttle into T1 and so on, chasing down their victims, parking across the track on a fast/blind bend etc.

I then ban for 90 days and make a note of the LFSW name. If they do it again after their ban expires, i'll ban for life.

For me the barricade is a way of removing persistent bad apples. It's not about acting as judge, jury and executioner.

hmmmm i could'nt disagree more, as it seems it only takes one wreck to be banned for life,
personaly i hate banning people what i do is, if i get told by somone they've been wrecked i'll watch them and warn them maybe even spectate them to make sure they are listening then if they do it again i'll ban, at the most for 30 days,
unless its an extreme example like somone sitting in the middle of the track waiting to wreck in which case i ban straight away.
Maybe the 90-day ban should be preceded by a warning-PM. That would also give the people involved a chance to tell their side of the story (e.g. full throttle into T1 can be caused by a wheel malfunction or something).

(I do support the Barricade, I think it's a good initiative and a good option for server admins without the time to constantly police their server)
Quote from tombarlin :hmmmm i could'nt disagree more, as it seems it only takes one wreck to be banned for life,
personaly i hate banning people what i do is, if i get told by somone they've been wrecked i'll watch them and warn them maybe even spectate them to make sure they are listening then if they do it again i'll ban, at the most for 30 days,
unless its an extreme example like somone sitting in the middle of the track waiting to wreck in which case i ban straight away.

I don't know how the barricade exactly goes about reviewing a replay and what exact measurements they use before they decide on a ban. I do however have great faith in the ppl involved and am very sure that all the "stewards" are well aware of their responsibility and are not a bunch of ban-happy admins who boost their egos by banning the poor sod who occasionally causes a crash because he missed the braking point for T1. And if in fact someone goes full throttle into T1 because of a conrtroller malfunction (or anything else for that matter), he or she can always explain while still on the server. We all know that shit happens, and from what I have seen so far, people are usually very understanding regarding such incidents. So, the bottom line for me is: The barricade might not be the ideal solution but it's the best we have for a non-ideal virtual world. So I'm fully supportive of it .

Speaking of it: Does an iB-logo exist that people can put on their car skins, SamH? I remember that it was dicussed a few months ago to have a logo saying "keep your server barricaded" or something. So is there one and if yes, where can I get it?
I cannot possibly comment on tombarlin's argument without another flame war ensuing, so I wont except to say that no driver, including tombarlin, is permanently banned from the STCC servers for wrecking. There are only a handful of lifetime bans on the servers I administer.

The 'jury' of the wrecker barricade is the individual server owners - the barricade itself just shares the replay and opinions of barricaders who have watched the replay. It does not automatically ban people for life, that decision is made by the server owners themselves.

"wrecker barricade network"
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG