The online racing simulator
Quote from Fischfix :engine blowups, gearbox wear, brake wear

I think that's all the stuff that will come in the S3 physics overhaul, best to work on what is already implemented and needs to be fixed first, diff and clutch models especially so that LFS doesn't have to throw away the old physics and start again like it seems other sims do.

I may be wrong but I don't think Eric works full time on LFS, and I remember Scawen saying he was going to spend his time concentrating on S3 graphics content rather than making high res S2 textures when Becky asked him.
just wondering, are they working on S2 and S3? lol
Quote from Smurfen :just wondering, are they working on S2 and S3? lol

Man, S2 is still in alpha stage, I'd bet they release S2 beta and final before working on S3
I think that the false starts are quite important and quite easy to do to go along with the thing which makes you wait (i think 15 secs) before you are allowed toexit the garage at the pits at start of race.

Sam
False starts would rock, and it would make the drag racing actually have a point. I'm hoping with the G25 to see better clutch/shifter stuff soon. at the mo, can just smash it through the gear, then kick the clutch for super fast shifts.
I would imagine more car physics, possibly sound reworks, for beta.
At least one new track location ( with many configs) would be great.

Some type of server function that would prohibit people from crashing, then pulling directly out in front of the on coming pack of people still racing would be huge.

I guess we'll find out when we find out
Quote from MaximUK :If we assume Eric works at least 80% of the hours that Scawen does (excluding the period he put in for for the end of U and for V because no-one could maintain that) then there must be a lot of his work we haven't seen. Track and car modeling takes a long time at the quality Eric produces them but it has still been a long while since we have seen the fruits of his labour. I guess he may have been doing texture updates for the current tracks or higher polygon car models, and he has most likely been doing the car interiors, but I would still be very surprised if we don't get a few new cars or a multi layout circuit when S2 goes final.

Maxim

I was actually quite surprised that we didn't see new GTR interiors in Patch V. I thought for sure they would be in the next major (non-test) patch since it's a graphics change that would almost certainly be compatible.

I know the devs like to work at their own pace but I really, really wish they would leverage the talents of the community a bit more. I'd love to see contests or submission requests for textures, car models, track layouts, etc. You just know that a ton of the people from this forum would submit quality work that we could all enjoy without asking for a dime in compensation. There could be a fully high-res version of LFS (as an optional download) in no time flat, not to mention dozens of new car types and tracks to keep us busy for a long time to come. And Scawen would still have time to work on things like the sounds, clutch model, radiator damage, track temps, overheating brakes, etc. Seems like a win-win scenario and I'm truly surprised we haven't seen something like this from the devs.

Regardless, LFS is still the best racing sim on the market, hands down. I've spent more time with it than any other game and would gladly buy it all over again in a heartbeat. Three cheers for Patch V! Onward and upward to S2 Beta!
CoG's are calculated from the 3D models of the cars in the fly, so changing the interiors is an incompatible patch thing - I'm hoping Erics work from the last few months will make it into the next patch (W)
I'm still hanging out for the rally pack. Hopefully this will be released before s2 full or soon after.

Maybe this is what Eric has been spending most of his time on? I can only imagine how much time it would take to create several rally cars and tracks.

Anyway, it's easy for me to wait because I already have an incredible sim to race with and I quite enjoy the speculation and anticipation.
Would be cool to have an AutoX management system. So you can have AutoX competitions without people randomly joining the course out of their order.

But spiffing up some of the car models(mainly interior and undercarriage) would be cool. And finishing the engine/drivetrain physics would be cool.

Im seriously happy with Patch V though, it makes the cars so much more fun to drive
Quote from tristancliffe :CoG's are calculated from the 3D models of the cars in the fly, so changing the interiors is an incompatible patch thing - I'm hoping Erics work from the last few months will make it into the next patch (W)

If that's true then can I assume that every surface carries the same weight? If so, this would account for the fact that the hot hatches seem very top heavy. Sometimes after going over an inside curb I swear that the engine must be mounted on the roof!
#37 - J.B.
Essential stuff IMO:
-diff lock preloading
-bump rubbers
-proper ride height measurements (instead of "motion range")
-replay rewinding
-proper starts
Since making my ealrier post I have seen a thread where Scawen did say that Eric doesn't work full time on LFS. I guess depending on his other commitments at the moment this might suggest there isn't so much unseen work as I thought there might be. As AJP71 stated, Scawen also said Eric would be concentrating on S3 graphics, cars and tracks so I am not so sure we will see much for S2 anymore. The interiors are on the list to be done but as mentioned above, can't be released in a compatible patch so they may be done and ready for W.

Quote from Hyperactive : Balanced car classes means that XFG and XRG are equal choise when you look at how hard or easy they are to drive compared to the lap times you can get. Same with the big GTRs. FZR hasn't been in same class with the XRR/FXR since the latest patch. XRR needs to be quicker than the FXR because it is lot harder to drive.

I don't quite agree with you here. I think the 3 GTR cars should all be the same speed when driven to their limits otherwise you will still get mis-matches. If you make the XRR faster than the FXR then those people with the time will put in the practice and you won't see an FXR in the race. What you want is that those in the FXR are just seen to be driving an easy car and those in the others to be driving more difficult cars, but everyone still being competitive. TRouble is that they already are closer when driven over longer diatances when the XRR comes back towards the speeds of the others so it is difficult to acheive truely equal cars.

Maxim
Quote from MaximUK :Since making my ealrier post I have seen a thread where Scawen did say that Eric doesn't work full time on LFS. I guess depending on his other commitments at the moment this might suggest there isn't so much unseen work as I thought there might be. As AJP71 stated, Scawen also said Eric would be concentrating on S3 graphics, cars and tracks so I am not so sure we will see much for S2 anymore. The interiors are on the list to be done but as mentioned above, can't be released in a compatible patch so they may be done and ready for W.

I hope this isn't the case. While the GTR interiors are the biggest glaring omission in the S2 graphics there is still much work to be done overall (improved textures, better texture mapping, improved car models, and I'm sure EVERYONE would like to see a few new cars *cough*V8 sedan*cough* and tracks). I certainly hope that Eric isn't spending time working on S3 stuff when S2 is not even in beta yet.

If this is the case it further reinforces my opinion that the LFS devs need to utilize the community for some of this stuff.
Personally, I think the graphics are sufficient for what I am doing in the sim. The most I generally see is tarmac, grass, sand, and a few landmarks to judge breaking points by. Why do I care about high-res skies? I mean, I'm not looking for a hidden image of the devil in the cumulus while I'm trying to threshold brake a racing machine into a off-camber, increasing radius turn with 10 other drivers near me.

I would rather see things like balanced car classes, more server admin controls, better collision and tire physics, a couple more tracks/configs, rolling/false starts, etc. I've played this sim for 3+ years now. Give me stuff that keeps me wanting to race, and not gawk at the textures. Graphics can wait until S3, IMHO.
Quote from Flycantbird :I would imagine more car physics, possibly sound reworks, for beta.
At least one new track location ( with many configs) would be great.

Some type of server function that would prohibit people from crashing, then pulling directly out in front of the on coming pack of people still racing would be huge.

I guess we'll find out when we find out

It wouldn't be very realistic then though.
Quote from banshee56 :Personally, I think the graphics are sufficient for what I am doing in the sim. The most I generally see is tarmac, grass, sand, and a few landmarks to judge breaking points by. Why do I care about high-res skies? I mean, I'm not looking for a hidden image of the devil in the cumulus while I'm trying to threshold brake a racing machine into a off-camber, increasing radius turn with 10 other drivers near me.

I would rather see things like balanced car classes, more server admin controls, better collision and tire physics, a couple more tracks/configs, rolling/false starts, etc. I've played this sim for 3+ years now. Give me stuff that keeps me wanting to race, and not gawk at the textures. Graphics can wait until S3, IMHO.

I totally agree with you that false starts, more tracks, better physics, etc is more important than graphics. However; keep in mind that S2 is still in alpha right now. We can assume that it will be quite a while before it's in beta and then another long while before it's final, then a LONG while after that before we see S3. So, even though the graphics are "good enough" right now, three years from now they're going to look pretty raggedy when everyone is running ultra high resolution with infinite view distance and all cars on high detail with full polygon counts. However; if the devs lay a good foundation the textures can be improved immensely. The community has already done a lot of the work in that regard but the tracks need better texture mapping for things to really improve much past what's already done. Also, don't forget about other graphical improvements like animated flag marshalls, people and objects in the pits, windshields that get dirty or cracked, etc. It's not all about textures. Better graphics = improved immersion. That is what is important to me.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I totally agree with you that false starts, more tracks, better physics, etc is more important than graphics. However; keep in mind that S2 is still in alpha right now. We can assume that it will be quite a while before it's in beta and then another long while before it's final, then a LONG while after that before we see S3. So, even though the graphics are "good enough" right now, three years from now they're going to look pretty raggedy when everyone is running ultra high resolution with infinite view distance and all cars on high detail with full polygon counts. However; if the devs lay a good foundation the textures can be improved immensely. The community has already done a lot of the work in that regard but the tracks need better texture mapping for things to really improve much past what's already done. Also, don't forget about other graphical improvements like animated flag marshalls, people and objects in the pits, windshields that get dirty or cracked, etc. It's not all about textures. Better graphics = improved immersion. That is what is important to me.

I think updating the graphics would be more important than the physics.
Quote from Woz :I know there is an AI update to do but what else before we get S2 final?

Personally, I hope we get Aston Greenhorn layout and maybe some others as well posted in this thread

And skidmarks while velocity is less than 6km/h would be nice...

Quote from Chris758 :I think updating the graphics would be more important than the physics.

:Eyecrazy: :smash3d: :chairs: :uglyhamme :something :chair:
Quote from Cue-Ball :I totally agree with you that false starts, more tracks, better physics, etc is more important than graphics. However; keep in mind that S2 is still in alpha right now. We can assume that it will be quite a while before it's in beta and then another long while before it's final, then a LONG while after that before we see S3. So, even though the graphics are "good enough" right now, three years from now they're going to look pretty raggedy when everyone is running ultra high resolution with infinite view distance and all cars on high detail with full polygon counts. However; if the devs lay a good foundation the textures can be improved immensely. The community has already done a lot of the work in that regard but the tracks need better texture mapping for things to really improve much past what's already done. Also, don't forget about other graphical improvements like animated flag marshalls, people and objects in the pits, windshields that get dirty or cracked, etc. It's not all about textures. Better graphics = improved immersion. That is what is important to me.

Fair points there. However, according to the Mayans, armageddon will arrive in 2012, and I would like to have a couple years of racing S3 before we leave for Mars. Besides, 3 years from now, I'm probably still gonna be on my P4 2.6 with my 9800 AIW, so the graphics in LFS are the only game graphics I'm likely to see anyway.
Quote from banshee56 :Fair points there. However, according to the Mayans, armageddon will arrive in 2012, and I would like to have a couple years of racing S3 before we leave for Mars. Besides, 3 years from now, I'm probably still gonna be on my P4 2.6 with my 9800 AIW, so the graphics in LFS are the only game graphics I'm likely to see anyway.

Not if they improve the graphics in LFS.
#47 - Jakg
Quote from Chris758 :I think updating the graphics would be more important than the physics.

i think LFS is the wrong game for you.

LFS DOES Look quite good with custom textures and AA/AF on, but all you see is the version of LFS "optimised" for a good FPS, rather than the tacky NFS Carbon giving you about 12

i still think that GTR, Race, GTR2, GTL etc have worse graphics than LFS

EDIT - 6,000 post....
Quote from banshee56 :Fair points there. However, according to the Mayans, armageddon will arrive in 2012, and I would like to have a couple years of racing S3 before we leave for Mars. Besides, 3 years from now, I'm probably still gonna be on my P4 2.6 with my 9800 AIW, so the graphics in LFS are the only game graphics I'm likely to see anyway.

I'm jealous! I'm still running a P4 2.4 with a GeForce 6600GT!
Quote from Cue-Ball :I'm jealous! I'm still running a P4 2.4 with a GeForce 6600GT!

Well I'm running a 2.0 with a GeForce MX440 :P
MX440?? I have a 9600XT laying around...you want it?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG