The online racing simulator
#1 - Woz
Whats left to get S2 out of Alpha?
Patch V has started to really give S2 some polish now. What is left to bring S2 out of Alpha?

I know there is an AI update to do but what else before we get S2 final?
Some of Eric's work , like new GTR interiors and maybe a track or 2 ,I think Scawen also mentioned a few changes in multiplayer options (maybe a structured weekend option ..dunno :shrug
teh maclaren F1!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLZ
Probably a decent AI is on the list too. Would be nice to hear an official report
I would say better aero model and undertray, better AI for sure, GTR cockpits as mentioned, and as these make things incompatible I would be surprised to see some tire tweaking too. In in addition to those, anything the devs aren't pleased :P
Quote from noemfie :Some of Eric's work , like new GTR interiors and maybe a track or 2 ,I think Scawen also mentioned a few changes in multiplayer options (maybe a structured weekend option ..dunno :shrug

Where can I read this?

"structured weekend option" what do you mean?
#7 - Renku
Quote from TRM.13 :"structured weekend option" what do you mean?

Friday Practice, Saturday practice and qualifying, Sunday warm-up lap and race. The way it's supposed to be.
#9 - Vain
S2 will propably finish everything it has begun. That would be:
- Tyres (different brands = different behaviour)
- Aerodynamics (correct understray downforce, aerodamage)
- Damage (detachable parts)

Personally I'd suggest to include 3d suspension models before S2 final, because those are very important regarding dynamic toe. It'd also be a good idea to include before making the damage system final.

As far as I remember Scawen also said that S2 was about the cars changing and S3 will be about the tracks changing. That means that S2 will propably feature things like oil temperature and brake temperature, and things like changing ambient temperature, day/night and weather will be a thing for S3 alpha.

Vain
..water temperature

damage especially

interiors.. basically alot of stuff
#11 - Jakg
You forgot the McLaren F1!
i would say nobody knows.
as we have seen the devs always have unexpected surprises, and im sure there are some on the way
*edit* jagk stfu
has been said already!
If it is right what Vain heard, that S2 will focus a bit more on cars and S3 more on tracks, I do hope that a fully functional and Simulated Clutch Pedal will be featured soon while still in S2 stage.
i believe.. as a community we all came to the conclusion that S2 was supposed to be physics and all the inner stuff, while S3 was just more "junk" to mess around with, and hopefully a graphics update; but the devs work at a pace we dont know nor do we ever hear about, so its anybody's guess

owell forgot to mention one more thing; nighttime, we really need that, especially now with the changing drivers, allowing 12 or 24 or however long (or for your enjoyment) races
thats .. kinda a last thing though

my question is though, will S2 always be considered alpha until S3 is released? or will the devs by sometime next year call S2 official?

(and as for all of us [including me] a few years back that guessed S3 would be out summer 07... looks like we all lost that bet lol)
- rewindable replays
- drivers' suits in CMX viewer (along with the texture update)
- fully improved 3d models and textures for the cockpits
- F11/F12 menus working in single player
- ai updates
- false starts
- cars stalling
- improved differentials
- improved tiremodel
- HC mode (alongside with proper clutch/shifter support)
- the curbs fixed on kyoto
- totally redesigned fern bay (at least the chicanes)
- balanced car classes

I don't expect to see stuff like shattered glass, tires breaking loose or stuff coming off the car before S3. Also I don't think we get any new tracks or cars. LX8 and old (historical) Blackwood would be great but...

There is a long cold winter ahead of us
Quote from Hyperactive :- rewindable replays

Wouldnt the Replay Mode be overworked as a whole and not just get a Rewind Option added? Thinking about On Screen Graphics in TV Mode showing the Standings or clickable buttons in the Replay Options.

Quote from Hyperactive : - false starts
- cars stalling
- HC mode (alongside with proper clutch/shifter support)

- balanced car classes

Is this something you know for sure? So there is a Hardcore Mode Option planned (cockpit view only - no driving aids)? And what is meant by "balanced car classes" exactly?

Cars stalling and false start would need a overhaul of the workings of the Clutch Pedal. So we might see this in the 'near' future.
Quote from Hyperactive :Also I don't think we get any new tracks or cars. LX8 and old (historical) Blackwood would be great but...

If we assume Eric works at least 80% of the hours that Scawen does (excluding the period he put in for for the end of U and for V because no-one could maintain that) then there must be a lot of his work we haven't seen. Track and car modeling takes a long time at the quality Eric produces them but it has still been a long while since we have seen the fruits of his labour. I guess he may have been doing texture updates for the current tracks or higher polygon car models, and he has most likely been doing the car interiors, but I would still be very surprised if we don't get a few new cars or a multi layout circuit when S2 goes final.

Maxim
Quote from George Kuyumji :Wouldnt the Replay Mode be overworked as a whole and not just get a Rewind Option added? Thinking about On Screen Graphics in TV Mode showing the Standings or clickable buttons in the Replay Options.

Basically this just the ESC view with few added buttons, or the buttons are configured to your keyboard. Like F2/F3 faster slower forward type of thing. There is no need to make GPL/nascar 2003 style of replay editing mode. Of course some additional camera options would be nice but they aren't directly related with rewindable replays
Quote from George Kuyumji :Is this something you know for sure? So there is a Hardcore Mode Option planned (cockpit view only - no driving aids)? And what is meant by "balanced car classes" exactly?

Cars stalling and false start would need a overhaul of the workings of the Clutch Pedal. So we might see this in the 'near' future.

I am just getting the feeling that some kind of HC mode is on it's way. I see it as nothing revolutionary, but I want to see that servers get more control over the "gamish" options wihout needing to use some special insim stuff for it. But to make it work it will probably ne just a spreadsheet with numerous tickable options. People want choise and customize, not to choose from few "good" options

No. I have no ideas whatsoever what is going to be done next. All my posts are is guessing. But I read the same forum where the developers post

Cars stalling and better starts (plus rolling starts) need that the net code needs to be changed as well. It is a very important feature imho. The way the starts are done know is very arcade. Just floor the pedal and wait for the green light. Even Gran turismos do this better (you can change gears before the light goes green ). There are a lot of these small things which will have more dramatic effect than most people understand. Destroying your engine or overshooting the start will change the way we drive in LFS. Who has practised starts in LFS? No one because there is nothing that can be achieved there. Just check the braking point to T1 and you're set. Who has practised starts in GPL? Everyone, because practising makes huge impact on your ability to get a good race and position. Overrevving means that you need to take cars of the car as the race progresses.

Balanced car classes means that XFG and XRG are equal choise when you look at how hard or easy they are to drive compared to the lap times you can get. Same with the big GTRs. FZR hasn't been in same class with the XRR/FXR since the latest patch. XRR needs to be quicker than the FXR because it is lot harder to drive. FXO is ridiculously faster than XRT/RB4. The RAC/FZ50 are quite close on most circuits, and along with updated RAC (if it will be updated) they will get even closer. Imho

And forgot the improved turbos from the list
From the man himself......
Quote from Scawen :
Already noted requests :

Here is a list of compatible requests already noted from the previous test patch threads. Please do not repeat these requests. Any requests made must be very close to the topic of this test patch! For off topic or incompatible requests, please use the improvement suggestions forum!

Multiple custom views per car
Separate FOV per custom view
Auto creation of colour files (while still allowing AI colours)
Virtual mirror for follower view / chase cam
Looping and ESC menu for MPR (like SPR)
Replay rewinding / forwarding
TrackIR 6DOF support
20th December 2006

Looks like these are on the cards.
engine blowups, gearbox wear, brake wear
Quote from George Kuyumji :Cars stalling and false start would need a overhaul of the workings of the Clutch Pedal. So we might see this in the 'near' future.

Scawen: I expect to start working soon on some gearbox updates and also the false starts system

mm "soon", this was said in July.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=159720#post159720

Quote from JasonJ :From the man himself......

Looks like these are on the cards.

That doesn't mean anything because that's just a list of features that might get to the next compatible patch... I think those were originally planned to be in the V patch.
I remember that Scawen said that the next patch will be NO compatible, because the false starts and many other improvements like reset disable by the host
I am sorry if I sound foolish but I think there is a general lack of grip since the patch V is out. Or is it just me ?

same set are the previous patch..but I loose the rear under heavy braking...XFG that is
Quote from TRM.13 :I remember that Scawen said that the next patch will be NO compatible, because the false starts and many other improvements like reset disable by the host

IMO he didn't say that.
What I've read is he couldn't make some physic update coz this update would make the patch incompatible (hoping my english is not so bad)
Edit : source
Scawen can release many compatible patches before that, so we dunno if next patch will be compatible or not (IMO, it'll be compatible : sond improvements, graphics, features, and so on)
Quote from zeeaq :I am sorry if I sound foolish but I think there is a general lack of grip since the patch V is out. Or is it just me ?

IMO, it's just you ^^.
Didn't notice that. Could be sound update related (I'm serious)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG