The online racing simulator
LFS vs. GPL
(84 posts, started )
LFS vs. GPL
Since LFS is way better than the GTR series and started to get tagged as "the best sim" I think there's only one simulation it can compare, yep Grand Prix Legends.

Now I know some might (will) shout at me like "those are 2 different games". No, they ain't that different. I've playing both for a long time and although each one has it's own taste my question is beyond this stuff. Basicly LFS vs. GPL is like asking The New vs. The Old. Different cars, different tracks, different sense of driving...but they both stand on one thing: Realism.

So I would like to ask the ones who played both. Forget about GPL's legend name and your LFS love, which one do think the better?

(yeah, my vote goes to GPL..)
What does it really matter what anyone else thinks? You have tried both and can make your own mind up.

They both have strengths and weaknesses and there is room for both. You may claim they aren't that different, but if so then you answered your own question already.

At the end of the day, people will play whichever SIM they get the most pleasure from which will depend on the persons preferences and mood at the time.

Posting these sorts of questions will quickly get you a reputation as a troll and result in no-one taking anything you say seriously even when you have a valid point to make. If you seriously want to ask this question then you shouldn't be posting it in a game specific forum.

Maxim
#3 - Jakg
LFS - i personally think it's more realistic

(BTW - LFS probably is, because GPL's physics are about 8 years old and had to run on a lot slower PC's)
LFS, without a doubt.

Although GPL was teh bestest when it came out, it's physics are still among the best ones around, but it is dated. Low Speed grip is way below par, and the sliding that can be done with it is unrealistic. Proof of that is in the difference in fastest laps between mere mortals and "teh aliens".

IMO, in a sim that has ultrarealistic physics without anything that makes it any different from reality, the 'aliens' would not exist. There'd be slow and fast drivers, but they'd all be going for the same limit, the limit of the car. As it is now, limits in the physics engine get exploited by the aliens. LFS doesn't have real 'aliens', just guys that are faster than others. If you compared the average driver's times to the Pre-April-patch physics to the post-april-patch physics, you'll notice that the slower ones are actually closer to world record times, because the physics behave more like real world.

Also, physics is the 'only' thing I want in a sim.
#5 - ajp71
Well GPL offers something completely different to LFS, powerful cars with no downforce. They're a handful to drive and far more rewarding and frustrating than LFS in equal measure. They still don't sound bad for single sample engine sounds. Try GPLSO and it suddenly comes alive. GPL has is about the only sim that manages to make 2D objects look awesome, the better GPL tracks are still works of art, although the majority are no where near LFS standard a lot of them have a 'sense of immersion' factor that no modern day sim will ever achieve. GPL is one of the few sim racing experiences where you can genuinely shit yourself. Honestly no other sim experience gets the heart racing like it.

When it works the FF isn't bad getting it working is a nightmare. As for the mods the '65 and '69 are well worth getting as well as TC (if you don't possess any common sense) and there are plenty more in the works. The best bit about GPL mods is they are done to a ridiculously meticulous level of detail which is why they take so long to be released and seemingly don't need constant incompatible patches to make them work rF style.

N2003 features a slightly updated version of the same physics engine but contained in slightly more drivable cars including the awesome GTP mod. Not to mention N2003 has a fantastic trick up its sleeve, 42 car racing. The net code is very good, the biggest problem is collisions, gentle rubbing is a really, really stupid idea as it sometimes results in lunar orbit. Believe me a full 42 car GTP grid at Spa is out of this world.
#6 - ZORER
LFS, of course.

And imo, second one is NetKar Pro.Not Gpl.
I think now with the last tyre physics changes the drivability of LFS has finally matched GPL. Of course LFS has always been the more modern game, menus, features etc.

Force feedback by the way I find surprisingly similar between LFS and GPL, hence both give me a similar driving sensation. Quite different really from netkar namie (which still is brilliant) or netkar pro.

- ben
#8 - ajp71
Quote from TagForce :
IMO, in a sim that has ultrarealistic physics without anything that makes it any different from reality, the 'aliens' would not exist. There'd be slow and fast drivers, but they'd all be going for the same limit, the limit of the car. As it is now, limits in the physics engine get exploited by the aliens.

I think it's less a limit of the physics engine but the vast difference in how to drive these cars fast. If you looked at them in period then of course four wheel drifts were all part of how they behaved. What a lot of people don't realize is just how fast you can drive one of these things. If try and drive one like a modern racing car, ie with complete grip and pointing round the corner you'll be no where. I was always amazed by how there was such a difference until I saw a video of an alien's foot work, right foot braking with a manual clutch and H gate shifter he had the most fantastic throttle control, keeping some on to steady the car even under braking. I'm not sure if some of the fastest laps were set by exploits but certainly there was a lot of skill in some of the aliens of GPL.

As for the reasons GPL was faster than RL I guess the fact it has smooth grippy surfaces kind of answers half the question, road surfaces were still fairly crap back then and that makes a huge difference. I guess the other main difference is maybe what fuel is simulated in sim, the Eagle was thought to have had the last ever win on pump fuel that year at Spa (rules still required it but it wasn't checked) so what kind of fuel was assumed for the other cars? The physics is GPL certainly weren't a sophisticated as some elements of LFS though.

N2003 didn't really have aliens, just fast people like LFS but there is one guy who has a site full of incredible replays for the GTP cars, if you have GTP look here and download the Nurburgring lap and sit back and enjoy the ride

http://achimt.flog.com/
I'd say GPL and LfS. Just cos GPL is old the physics musn't be worse than LfS. Papyrus aka Iracing nowadays created the best simulation so far but as we all know there'll still be improvements so GPL is as good as 8 years or so ago.

GPL is much more demanding as ajp71 said. Cars with a lot of power without downforce. Drive a few laps Nordschleife / Isle of Man and you know what I mean. It's a complete different simulation but great.

So both are simulations people who like to race should have in their shelves Quite diplomatic innit?
Quote from ZORER :LFS, of course.

And imo, second one is NetKar Pro.Not Gpl.

Because of you Sir, execution sqauds are been made!

After LFS GPL definately is the best sim. Only doesn't look like that because it's (as said before) outdated. However... beside the graphics; if I launch GPL it isn't thàt outdated if you look that it's over 8 years old.
Quote from benja-man :Force feedback by the way I find surprisingly similar between LFS and GPL, hence both give me a similar driving sensation. Quite different really from netkar namie (which still is brilliant) or netkar pro.

My understanding is that GPL FF is a 3rd party addon based directly off the torque of the steering column, like in LFS. The only issue with it in GPL is getting it to work properly in the first place.
Awww...lets not fight at Christmas
(that's what these threads always turn in to)

Ho-Ho-Ho!
How many "vs" threads am I going to see? This one is the best (most entertaining). Like asking, what's better Fish or sofas?
Quote from HugeF1 :How many "vs" threads am I going to see? This one is the best (most entertaining). Like asking, what's better Fish or sofas?

Sofas.

i think this thread is OK. We do appologise for forcing you to read all of this thread. Had we known that you won't like it we would have written about smth else.

P.S. I'm gonna go with LFS - so much more variety than GPL.
On a Simulations drivers harddisk there should always be space for both excellent Programs.

I would even think from a Sim Experience point of view GPL and LFS are closer to each other than all other Sims compared with LFS.

In both Sims, LFS and even today still in GPL the Physics engine is Superb. You can jump easily from GPL to LFS, because the behaviour of the car is so comprehensible. If your fast in GPL, you will be fast in LFS and experience in LFS definitely helps when you start out in GPL too.

LFS and GPL have a very good Multiplayer Mode together with NR2003. The Replay Mode is also very good in both Sims. And with these things added I think every LFS driver can have a very nice time driving GPL and the other way arround aswell.

LFS and GPL are close to another and defintely a try worth if you owe one of them.

Thanks to GPLs huge community support you can make the Sim sound nice and look very good, there are tons of real tracks to explore, but some aspects of it run a little short because it came out in 1998, so I think a comparison of a 8 year old Program with a new one that is constantly improved cannot bring out much. A comparison between LFS and NR2003 would be more valuable, or one with the iRacing Software when it comes out.
Sofas here also.
LFS and GPL aren't different? So you're saying fiction and biography are the same genre?
from a technical standpoint they aren't meant to be

i agree with jakg about it, it did have to run.. well it didn't have to, but it was made during an era of rediculously slow computers compared to nowadays

@ajp, besides downforce, dont forget that they didn't even know what areodynamics were too; actually no one really knew what that was for quite a while
Quote from TagForce :LFS, without a doubt.

Although GPL was teh bestest when it came out, it's physics are still among the best ones around, but it is dated. Low Speed grip is way below par, and the sliding that can be done with it is unrealistic. Proof of that is in the difference in fastest laps between mere mortals and "teh aliens".

IMO, in a sim that has ultrarealistic physics without anything that makes it any different from reality, the 'aliens' would not exist. There'd be slow and fast drivers, but they'd all be going for the same limit, the limit of the car. As it is now, limits in the physics engine get exploited by the aliens. LFS doesn't have real 'aliens', just guys that are faster than others. If you compared the average driver's times to the Pre-April-patch physics to the post-april-patch physics, you'll notice that the slower ones are actually closer to world record times, because the physics behave more like real world.

Also, physics is the 'only' thing I want in a sim.

so aliens are people that exploit the physics and thats the only reason they are fast? uh no. The term alien was just used when someone was faster than expected and people had to make a silly name for it.

They are always just fast and slow drivers, the faster drivers are usually people that just push the sim to its limits, not only from a driving point of view, but setup point of view. And thats the simple reason why some people are faster than others.

The 'oh they are only faster because they drive unrealistic' is just an excuse by slower drivers who cannot handle the fact they are actually slower than other people and need a reason to validate to themself why they are slower which doesn't have to do with driving.

But on the subject at hand, GPL is really basic now compared to modern standards and I think comparing the two is alittle unfair, GPL has a certain status for 2 reasons. It was ground breaking at the time, and most important its based on 1967 F1 so it hast he cool factor.
Love them both, had some of the best online races ever with lfs, and with gpl just the challenge and the pure joy of just driving the cars is enough for me (when your in the "zone", if not then it is annoying as hell lol). never raced offline or on with gpl yet.
Quote from XCNuse :@ajp, besides downforce, dont forget that they didn't even know what areodynamics were too; actually no one really knew what that was for quite a while

They did in the aerospace industry, at least around the time of WW2. Look at the P-51 Mustang. Very streamlined. Or the X-15, first test-flown in 1959. Hell, airplanes even rely on aerodynamics to stay aloft, and the Wright brothers figured that one out over 100 years ago using Bernoulli's principle.
true, but it was never put to thought into cars

they had the idea of what it was, but never really considered it

speaking of the mustang, what a beautiful plane, i want one so bad lol; my dad actually got to ride in chuck yeagers' once.. with yeager flying it too!

that was i think 10 years ago or so
Quote from MaximUK :What does it really matter what anyone else thinks? You have tried both and can make your own mind up.

They both have strengths and weaknesses and there is room for both. You may claim they aren't that different, but if so then you answered your own question already.

At the end of the day, people will play whichever SIM they get the most pleasure from which will depend on the persons preferences and mood at the time.

Posting these sorts of questions will quickly get you a reputation as a troll and result in no-one taking anything you say seriously even when you have a valid point to make. If you seriously want to ask this question then you shouldn't be posting it in a game specific forum.

Maxim

Why do people with a bug up their asses try to control what people discuss on forums. The original poster has his own opinion and wants to find out what other people in the community think. Whats wrong with that?????Just ignore the post if you don't like the topic!
I like to fish from my sofa.

LFS vs. GPL
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG