The online racing simulator
Acceptable ping playing online
(35 posts, started )
Well, being the dialup guy, I always respond in these threads. My 56k is very stable. I just loaded up the server list and my pings are 13 servers between 226 - 300 and 6 from 338 up to 452. I would have no problems at all with up to 300 ms. I would more than likely not have problems with the 4 servers at 338 ms and wouldn't bother trying the 369 and 452.

I've asked many times if anyone sees a problem with me lagging or jumping around. I always get a response that it looks good, no lag and no jumping. I've been doing this on dialup for almost 2 years now without problems. I have successfully connected and raced on servers all over the world including Australia, and in the UK one night with an Aussie who was running on 28k dialup.

I try to keep my limit to 15 cars or less out on the track for my connection. I suffer more from framerate loss with more than 15 cars than I do with lag.
Quote from mrodgers :

I've asked many times if anyone sees a problem with me lagging or jumping around. I always get a response that it looks good, no lag and no jumping. I've been doing this on dialup for almost 2 years now without problems.

When I was racing you the other night you were smooth, no lag at all.
#28 - Davo
Being all the way down south doesn't help with my connection. My average ping is 350. I don't have any trouble racing and no one has complained saying I'm lagging out. It seems as long as the actual connection is stable and fast enough it's more important than a good ping. The only down side are lag crashes where it's a lottery to see who gets thrown to the side of teh track from the smallest touch. I race clean but sometimes people get a nasty shock when the racing gets too close
Quote from jayhawk :I have a 8mb cable connection. I am assuming so does she.

well i doubt its the reason, i got a 6 mb connection and i had the same pings with an 1 mb connection (different ISP).
Lol im getting pings of 400 ~ 500... I guess i'd better not play online T_T
I've tried that shift+f8 thing and the numbers I get are usually below 0,5, is that good?
#32 - Davo
I'm not sure what the numbers mean exactly, but as long as the gameplay is smooth and people aren't disappearing or laggin out you'll be fine.
I feel so spoilt, with a crappy BT line in the middle of the uk 378 out of the 457 servers LFS found were under 100ms.
The lowest 14 were all at 32ms. The next 3 were at 33ms and the next 50 servers were all at 43ms. Anyone know why that is?
#34 - Davo
Most likely most of the LFS servers are hosted in the UK by 500servers or whoever else does server rental.
I'm from Australia and often have only servers in the 300 - 400ms ping range available. Anything below 350 is good enough, when I'm desperate I'll settle for 360ms(if its worse I'll pass), average is around 320 to servers in Germany and England. I usually have a high quality 4mb down/1mb up connection from my provider, I make sure no (absolutely NONE) other applications are running that could use up bandwidth.

It is very very rare that anyone complains to me about me being laggy, though it has happened. But then again I have experienced laggy players that were connected to an Australian server (30-40ms) and I knew they were connecting from within Australia. Sometimes I race on an Australian server and people I know are Europeans connect and its no problem. So, with a quality connection pings of up to 360ms are acceptable IMHO.

A testament to the quality netcode our devs have produced, I say

Acceptable ping playing online
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG