The online racing simulator
Why mapping "Sorry" is bad.
(102 posts, started )
I use the Sorry bind alot, but mainly for slight taps ect and I think a sry.. followed by a no-probs usually clears the air so to speak , If I crash someone I stop and write somthing like "I am really sorry not intended" ect and at least allow the driver to rejoin track infront of me.
I think the sorry bind should be used, and has become like racer etiquette to me at least, if you nudge or crash at least if you are really sorry let the victim know and let him regain possition asap to show it.

I would still rather get crashed and recieve a sorry than just silence.

Just my 2 washers worth

SD.
Whell I usualy say sorry when I hit in someones back and overtake him. That is not fear whay to pass someone. It's usualy when I brake too late and hit into someone in front of me. But then I let my position back to him and try to pass him again. And ofcorse I say sorry for hiting him. I didn't won to hit him I just made a mistake.

But I realy hate someone hit me into back and says sorry and go race in front of me illepall, I start to think bad about that person . I think he is not fear racer becouse he wasn't pass me proporly

So if you are realy sorry then let him pass you and try to pass him again on SPORT way
I have "sorry my bad" mapped onto my wheel and with taps and knocks etc i dont say it as to me racing will involve side to side rubs and little taps etc. I only say sorry if i see that from my actions it causes the other driver to have a problem e.g. i outbrake myself hit the rear of the car infront and make them run wide. it depends on the incident/accident whether i let the other person back past but usually i will do. If by accident i cause a bad crash then i will type out at the time or at the end of that race - "sorry for taking you out, i completely outbraked myself" or whatever the reason is.

Under racing circumstances its not possible imo to give me than a binded sorry but then again it does seem to get used alot at the minute.
I have sorry mapped to my keys, because if I reach for the keyboard to enter some text, I would crash some more people. If I'm truly sorry for an incident (i.e. someone losing a position due to my bad driving/...) I can say a quick sorry on the track and apologize in a more proper way after the race. Some guys also block messages, so they wouldn't see the "sorry" during the race, so the after-race-talk is more important imho.
Quote from Gimpster : If you are goign to say you are "Sorry" then mean it.

Fair comment, but whether you type it or map it is irrelevant, it is the 'remorseful' use of it that is the issue.
I thought about the same thing, a bind is not as personal as typing it out. But it doesn't really matter to me. What is important is that you do say sorry. Not "So sorry it was totally my fault I hope your car is ok" in a rainbow color, just a simple "sorry".

As a mouse driver it is easier for me to type it out but why would I? I'm wasting time. Sometimes I don't even press the bind I just get back on the track and press the bind at the next opurtunity. It's called a race! If I did spin somebody out and he get's back on the track behind me I let him pass.
Racing on the demo servers, I always block chat. Was on the STCC server for the first time last night and left the chat open. To be honest, I don't think I'll bother again - having reams of "sorry", "soz", "my fault", and many other combinations of apology constantly appearing on the top left of the screen didn't really add anything to the racing experience.

In one race I gave someone a tap on the rear end. He braked a bit sooner than I expected, and I was a bit too hot on entry anyway. I felt obliged to type out a sorry, but by the time I'd hit enter he was through the corner and getting away from me anyway. Seemed a rather pointless courtesy....

"Rubbing is racing..."

Its going to happen every now and again, but if you're making a career of it, then I presume that's what the kick/ban votes are for. I'll probably carry on blocking chat. Apologising afterwards for big gaffes is probably the best way, but if no one wants to hang around and make conversation - c'est la vie.

If I tap you, here's my apology in advance: "Sorry, I didn't mean it - that's not how I like to race. It was a mistake"

Such things in an ideal world would be taken for granted.
#33 - Davo
I've got sorry bound to a key because I have to use it on public servers unfortunately. Some people think if you don't apoplogise straight away they can ram you off the track trying to make it an accident and then say sorry and totally not mean it. I only use sorry when I mean it even though it's bound I don't overuse it because for me it has meaning and I like to see a sorry from someone else when I'm racing. It's a bit of courtesy.
I HATE IT when people spin you, but they end up spinning, say "soz" and then they back into you, dump the clutch at the redline, and then speed away. So,they are actually thinking "sorry...... Nevermind, I actually could care less what happens to your race"
It might make more sense if you could direct a message at someone, rather than telling the whole grid how very sorry you are.
i have "sorry" bound.
Durring race its natural a minor bumps/crashes occur.
When something more seroius will happen i just write more and then i have to stop "im very sorry for that " etc.
I slow down and let the poor guy pass me if I have caused an accident.

Writing "sorry" during a Race is unrealistic
Quote from Gimpster :...

Re-read it all now and I must say I only partly agree with you. It is not because it's mapped that you don't mean it! It is mapped to be more usefull and not to let you lose time, e.g if it's just a small tab in the rear of your opponent. That it takes 5 seconds, 1/2 a second or 2 minuits to show your remorse is irrelevant. The point is being really sorry, wheter you use a mapped sorry, a non-mapped sorry or no sorry at all. This mapped sorry is just a tool, what needs to change is the attitude of racers towards each other, and sometimes an age difference can help also.. However it's like 99,99% about the attitude, using or losing the mapped sorry won't change much I think, just you'll hear less sorry's, therefor thinking people don't care about the fact they just bumped into you,...

What you need to do is tell after a race that your sorry for it ànd show it in the race, not by saying "sorry my bad", but by slowing down and re-take position after the 'victim', unless this one is out of the race.
I feel that having it maped just makes it too easy to say and that alot of people have come to use it as a way to justify a rough bit of racing or in some cases out right disreguard for other racers. I don't thing saying sorry is a bad thing of itself just the way its now being used.

For small racing issues I just use smiles and frowns. Anythng more and I am forced to take a few second to admit guilt and let the other driver back ahead. For me not having it maped is an incentive to try that much harder to not have to say it.
Quote from al heeley :Fair comment, but whether you type it or map it is irrelevant, it is the 'remorseful' use of it that is the issue.

I 100% agree.....If somone, has it blinded and hits me and I get;
Sorry!
Sorry!
:~(
:~)
Sorry!
It's clear that it's mapped, but I can also tell they care that they made a mistake...

Why not ask for a hand writen applology, and they can drop it off at your home on a red velvet pillow...lol
Sorry!
Sorry!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Well I agree with you Kev, too

I don't chat much at all mid-race, it's rare that I'll go so far as a "" if the race is good or something funny happens.
I don't assume people that don't apologise are not sorry, and I don't always think people who hit their F5 "SORRY how did that happen?" key actually mean it, particularly as it's so easy to hit one key and carry on your merry way It all depends on what they're doing post-collision. Apologies are best kept for after the race imo.
But some people are driving and typing freeks, I,ve been on with racers that can talk, talk and talk and still hammer through chicanes (sp?) so then they are sincere becase they pressed five buttons rather than one?

If you keyboard is far away like mine I have to pull over to type. I think you guys are asking way too much from gamers.

Most places if you hit somone and wait till after the race to say sorry, then you have someone freeking out, typing curses at you, for not appoligizing....trying to vote ban you etc.....Blind "Sorrys" help much more than not......it's only if your too sensitive and need it personalized that it dosn't.

I will now blind "Sorry Steve" and " I'm sorry I thought your name was Steve"...lol
Quote from Hurts2bStock :
Why not ask for a hand writen applology, and they can drop it off at your home on a red velvet pillow...lol

Thank you!
That is now mapped to a key (which I can't reach anyway)
"Ouch! If you're sorry please drop your handwritten apology off on a red velvet pillow at the following address: TagForce, ******* ** **** ** ******* *******"
Quote from TagForce :Thank you!
That is now mapped to a key (which I can't reach anyway)
"Ouch! If you're sorry please drop your handwritten apology off on a red velvet pillow at the following address: TagForce, ******* ** **** ** ******* *******"

ROTFL

Also teamspeak will eventually take over to the point no one types anymore.....and on that note IMO it's less work to say sorry then it is to press F7, but I will still accept verbal apologies
I understand the point of sincerity. In fact, it makes me think I apologize too often ... The thing is, I'm always sincere about it. I'm not always certain whose fault some contact was; and I never really thought about no apology being needed for incidental contact. I should probably save my binded sorries for clear cut circumstances I guess... Typical Canadian - you smash into me so I apologize :rolleyes:

Half the time I hit the wrong bind anyway "Smash... Hi there!"
lol....Sorry is our favorite word.
If we had the option of "the wave or lift of a hand" I would be using that alot more than I do the "sorry" bind (and I do over-use it I know) as the wave of a hand is alot more realistic, but then we would need the "bird" or finger wave aslo

SD.
Quote from Hurts2bStock : ROTFL

Also teamspeak will eventually take over to the point no one types anymore.....and on that note IMO it's less work to say sorry then it is to press F7, but I will still accept verbal apologies

Teamspeak has that one peculiar problem that not everyone can speak understandable engrish
Quote from thisnameistakenbykev :I also use my "NP " bind just as readily, and my "Thanks" bind. I have all three bound to buttons on my wheel to make them even more convenient to use, but that doesn't make me insincere.

I use to have "np" and "thanks" binded, but I just use a smiley now.

Quote from SparkyDave :If we had the option of "the wave or lift of a hand" I would be using that alot more than I do the "sorry" bind (and I do over-use it I know) as the wave of a hand is alot more realistic, but then we would need the "bird" or finger wave aslo

SD.

My F4 chat key " ,.|.. ..|., " hehe.

Why mapping "Sorry" is bad.
(102 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG