The online racing simulator
Why mapping "Sorry" is bad.
(102 posts, started )
I remember a time when there was meaning behind the work "Sorry". It was typed in to the chat window as a show of remorse for causing an incident or becoming an obsticle to be avioded. The time needed to type the simple word or phrase allowed for some meeningful show of sportmanship, or consesion for the transgression you just caused. But now is seems people have elevated its stature to a point where they assume the simple act of pressing a button on the keyboard to send the message is itself the show of remorse.

It seems these days that its ok to run in to someone, or take some one out of a race, pop a quick "Sorry" and continue on as if nothing happened. This is the reason why I no longer have a message of remorse maped to a key. If I happen to cause an incident that disrupts the race fro other people then I am forced to take the pressious few seconds to type out my appology, which in most cased allows the effected driver to recover and retake a position ahead of me. It also encourges me try that much harder to avoid putting myself in that situation.

If you are goign to say you are "Sorry" then mean it. Take a few seconds to type it out. If you don't mean it then just drive on as I really don't want to see your macroed appology anyways. So just like the overuse and uncalled for "Blue Flag" messages I urge you all to also put an end to "Sorry" messages. Being a good and sportmanlike racer means not having to say you are sorry.
I don't have "Sorry" bound at all. Not that I don't feel 'sorry' if an accidenet happens, I don't want to reach for anything while driving. Especially be addicted to making myself always seem guilty to a crash, even when it wouldn't be my fault.

Sometimes if there is a big crash and I know it is my fault, I take the time to type "sry" or something quick. Also at the end of the race I'd say sorry to the person(s) I had an incident with.

But I also don't have "Hi/Hello", "Bye/Cya", "BLUE FLAG MOVE OVER!!!!", or any of those other common binds. It's just not necessary.
Sorry!
Quote from Tweaker :I don't have "Sorry" bound at all. Not that I don't feel 'sorry' if an accidenet happens, I don't want to reach for anything while driving. Especially be addicted to making myself always seem guilty to a crash, even when it wouldn't be my fault.

Sometimes if there is a big crash and I know it is my fault, I take the time to type "sry" or something quick. Also at the end of the race I'd say sorry to the person(s) I had an incident with.

But I also don't have "Hi/Hello", "Bye/Cya", "BLUE FLAG MOVE OVER!!!!", or any of those other common binds. It's just not necessary.

Same here.
I can't reach my keyboard... And unless it really was my fault and I definitely ruined someones chances of having a good race I won't apologise straight away. I can find the time to type "t np <enter>" occasionally when someone tapped me just enough to get me wobbly every so often, just to ease their minds, but that's about it.
The only binds I use often is. "Hi" or ":-)"

If I have to say sorry for something I write it as quick as possible.

I've learned that if you're on the outside in a turn, it is ok to bump you of. Now I do not agree with that, but that was what I was told on the STCC server.

I had this guys in my mirror, there were space between our cars when I started to turn in for the turn, and then suddenly he were on the inside, and of course I went flying.

"soz" popped up and my race were destroyed. After the race the driver told me that anyone that is on the outside should give way.
What a load of bullshit and horsecrap.
It dosen't make it any better that this person I speak of is a karter and gets, to say it in a nice way, relatively agressive when things aren't going his way.

Sorry for the of topic, but the general behaviour on the STCC server on AS Cadet the other day by many of the faster drivers that should "know" how to race, not only doing hotlaps were way below mediocre.
It could have tipped anyone over the edge and be going mental, but I'm a relatively calm person so I didn't make a scene, I regret it a bit now actuelly.

After this the driver started cutting corners, and then in the next race he clipped a car on the straight on purpose (yes, I've seen the replat over and over, and he is turning his car to the right when he is making a passing move on the inside after the last turn at AS Cadet.

Sorry for the off topic again.
Thats the thing though... people will percieve me as a total ass for not saying sorry right away, and I usually want to say sorry after the race is over. But if they leave the server before I can apologize, it makes me feel all guilty lol.
Yeah, if you're using a wheel then it's quite troublesome to reach to your keyboard and press F1 or anything.If the drivers in a server follow the rules, then there's no need to bind "F**KING CRASHER!!!11!1" or anything like that.
My binds are "haha" "Ello" "Nice!!" and the multicoloured "Weeeeee" just to annoy people. Hehe.
Sometimes when i spin someone accidentally, and I am not going to lose position, I let the person pass me.
i have it binded at F2, and for F1 i have =) and F7 and F8 are WR and my PR

the only time i use my sorry bind is if its a serious wreck such as a lag hit or a big.. just a lag hit actually lol, i used to type it out back in S1 when that was possible, but now its actually quite hard to type out those 5 letters when moving at a much faster rate than we ever imagined in S1
@MyBoss:
I think I know who you mean... Can be one of two guys, actually. Both of them starting to annoy me to the point I was ready to just make them eat a tirewall... Luckily I got silver in time, and it never came to that.
And... When are you going to set up a date for me and your avatar?

@Tweak:
Yeah, same here... Strange thing is though that more often than not, when they do accept your apology at the end of the race you end up chatting after every race and compliment eachother's driving... Makes me think it's not my problem if others lack patience and forgiveness.
Quote from TagForce :@MyBoss:
I think I know who you mean... Can be one of two guys, actually. Both of them starting to annoy me to the point I was ready to just make them eat a tirewall... Luckily I got silver in time, and it never came to that.
And... When are you going to set up a date for me and your avatar?

Yeah, there are actually two guys I think of, but one of them is worce than the other, and I allso remember him from S1 times. I swear I can remember I did all my best to avoid servets he were on and were mighty happy when he finally left.

PS: I don't let my avatar date others

Sorry for the bad tuping, late and a bit drunks. lol. But I stand for what I am writing.

Quote from TagForce :@Tweak:
Yeah, same here... Strange thing is though that more often than not, when they do accept your apology at the end of the race you end up chatting after every race and compliment eachother's driving... Makes me think it's not my problem if others lack patience and forgiveness.

lol, yeah. its a great phenomenom
I treat racers as they treat me, say i'm racing Tweak and he taps my rear and slows me down and enables him to pass and he takes the position. Although he will apologise at the end of the race, he drives on, now sayI make a small mistake against him I will happily take the place as he done to me and pop a quick sorry up as I do have it mapped to my F7.

But if i'm in a race and I do tap someone or put them off the road I will say Sorry and slow down to allow them to pass.

I do agree with your post Gimp about people just saying Sorry and going on, but at the same time I disagree as there is alot of genuine racers out there who are Sorry if they hit your or watever and some of them may not be able to type it so having it mapped to a F key makes it alot easier for them.
I have the sorry mapped to my F7. And I use it quite often. I don't bump into people that much and can't remember when I took some one out last time but I still use the s-word if I'm in doubt that what happened was partially my fault. In the end it is just a nice gesture. Everytime someone hits me and doesn't even bother saying something, even if it was a simple "" gives me certain image of him. If I bump into someone and he overshoots a corner, I slow down so that he keeps his position. Doesn't matter if I lose more positions, it was my fault and tha's it. Or if I managed to wreck someone's race I'll go spectate.

And on STCC servers I hate how there are people who constantly tap, nudge and bump me. I hate it so much that I haven't even raced there for a while. I guess it is the cars, people just aren't willing to lift the throttle in tight places or alter their lines at all. You know I'm pissed of when I'm silent

And wheel4hummer:
i always write sorry, hi or bye manually in the chat window.
Generally, I use the Fkey bind if I get into a slight scuffle on the track where it really doesn't hurt either very much, or I feel it is the other's fault, but isn't really a big deal. Just showing respect for the one who is racing close, clean, and fair with me.

If I happen to cause a major incident where I completely put someone off and it's completely my fault, I'm usually pulled off as well and will type out a true sorry in chat.

One thing I see, at least here in the US is, that you really can't slow/stop and let the other car have the position back as pretty much everyone will just give up and shift-S to pits, even in the longer 10+ lap public races. So it is really kind of useless to stop/slow to let them go as they sit in the grass or side for a bit, then shift-S leaving you sitting doing nothing as well.
I have no bind for sorry, for the exact reasons Gimpster argues you shouldn't. I also pretty much never apologize if i don't know what caused the incident, feels just a bit too random and insincere.

In short i agree with everything Gimpster said, one of my least favorite things is the type of driver who gives you a nudge, a push, a big bump then finally a big crash along with "im sorry" in various colors.
Since I've gone from 6 buttons on my wheel to two, I don't use binds anymore - other than and which are bound to the shifter buttons, but I tend to use those with people I know more than anything.

Somehow, a bound sorry makes it seem as if you expect to be doing
some stupid things, and that you're more concerned with keeping your own race going than anything you might have done to someone else.
#18 - aoun
If something happens.. i normally explain what happened.. and if its my fault, i will say sorry.. if hes still running.. ill stay with him til his back up to pace I got Gday/Hey/Hola.. good pass, good race, good lap and afew other.. i used to have Blue Flag Blue Flag.. but they can see the big writting.. .
I always keep ''Sorry'' mapped to my keys, not to be able to blurt it out irresponsibly, but in the case I have a nice battle with someone and I tap him a bit too hard not necessarily crashing him, so he can understand I'm not being overly aggresive, just that I made a little mistake.

What I don't like though is people always being aggresive, thinking that ''Sorry'' erases everything as many times as they want.
Gimpster, it sounds like you're more angry at crap driving and sportsmanship than you are at the specific practice of binding a chat key to "sorry".

I have a key bound to "sorry" but I still try very hard not to put myself in situations where I need to use it.

I disagree with your thread title. Mapping "sorry" is not bad: running people off the road and thinking you can glibly excuse yourself is bad.
I totally agree with you Gimpster. The past couple months I have seen "sorry" being abused... people don't seem to be that careful anymore, and just say sorry after ruining other's races, and that's it.

If I come in contact with someone, and cause them to mess up I quickly type "sorry", and let them by causing MY race to be screwed.

RJ
Quote from MyBoss : After the race the driver told me that anyone that is on the outside should give way.

i seem to remember james hunt saying the same after taking out mario andretti in the '77 dutch grand prix, something on the lines of "we don't overtake round the outside in F1
going on topic i have a "sorry" bind on my wheel, but i only use it if i really screw up not for every little racing bump, on the other hand i also have a "thank you" bind which i use when people make it easy to lap them or when they give me enough space to complete a tight overtaking move. in general i would say that saying "thankyou" after being let through would possibly do more for goodwill than all the "sorry"s you see and certainly more than the usual rash of "blue flag" messages
I do have a 'sorry' button, just in case I realise: this is my "fault". If I don't think I'm responsable for a spin or something I won't say it either. Or if it's just a little bump (miscalculated slipstream, different breaking points,...) I won't say sorry either. To me it's about keeping it realistic, therefor not spamming sorry if I am. Only hatefull thing is when some people say 3-4 or even 5 times

Sorry
Sorry
Sorry
Sorry
=)
Sorry

I'd like to ask not to do that, just a simple:
Sorry
is more then enough!
Yeah, I had some issues on the STCC server with people deciding that it's all right to bump you off line when you're completely alongside them. Makes it really frustrating when it happens almost every single lap as you repeatedly lose a second and then catch up to a slower a-hole who thinks that bumping you into the grass and dirt is proper race position protection.

On topic, I don't have a sorry bind, and if I'm clearly at fault a 'sry' pops out of me asap, and if it's a really bad accident that I caused it's an additional 'omg I don't know wtf I was doing there but it was all my fault' at the end of the race.

(102 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG