The online racing simulator
lag problems
(16 posts, started )
lag problems
hi,
I have really given up, after constant fidgeting, i can still not get rid of my lag. I really cant understand, i am on the fastest internet broadband supplier in the country, no limewire, no msn no nothin to slow it down, and i still have it. Can anyone help me please!!!
HI Craig,

Who is your ISP? fast does not always mean stable and some use traffic shaping software.

How is your connection setup? router? adsl modem? patch cable or wireless?

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :HI Craig,

Who is your ISP? fast does not always mean stable and some use traffic shaping software.

How is your connection setup? router? adsl modem? patch cable or wireless?

SD.

Hi dave,
I run on digiweb broadband, through a wireless router. Whats a speed test by the way
Quote from craig12345 :Hi dave,
I run on digiweb broadband, through a wireless router. Whats a speed test by the way

Try running a patch cable from the router to your Pc and ditch the wireless I thnink its the wireless thats causing your lag or its digiweb bandwith throttling SW you could e-mail them and ask if they shape traffic or block ports?

a speed test can be found here >> http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

EDIT: paste your results here like this: (this is mine)

Communications 2.8 megabits per second
Storage 342.5 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Good luck
SD.
Cool site, thanks for the link.
Here are my results,

Communications 3 megabits per second
Storage 369.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.8 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

I have a 10mbit line.
To make it crystal clear; Just because you have a fast connection does not mean it will be the best performance.

Speed tests can be a good general indicator, and whilst its a good start, just because it gives you a subjectively great score it doesn't mean that you will get that sort of subjective performance across the board.
I get abit of lag as well and my connection is perfect with every other game i play including simbin titles. It's sort of a jittery lag and some cars shift half a metre to the left/right and some just shift a tiny tiny so it's not a massive problem but an unwanted effect. I'm thinking it's normal and a side effect of the LFS multiplayer code but not entirely sure.
Communications 709.8 kilobits per second
Storage 86.6 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 11.8 seconds
Subjective rating Good
LFS multiplayer cars are usually very smooth for me. I rarely lag and rarely have any disconnect problems unless I attempt to download the skins or jump on the web while in a server. I ask on the server if I'm lagging and usually am told I look great. Interesting link posted up there. My numbers:

Communications 38.6 kilobits per second
Storage 4.7 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.6 minutes
Subjective rating Slow

LOL. I'm 56k dialup. LFS rocks online with my dialup.
Lol my lag is so bad that other cars frequently knock into walls, spin off, then suddenly re-appearing normally on the track. And my test is this

Communications 363.1 kilobits per second
Storage 44.3 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 23.1 seconds
Subjective rating Not bad

Lolz
#12 - Davo
Speed tests are generally useless in determining lag. Something a little better would be a trace route to the server, but since we don't know the IP of the server we can't do that.

Lag and jumping cars usually means packets are being lost somewhere, it's hard to tell where these packets are lost. Wireless could be a cause.

I'm on a 10mbit down and 256kbit up line and my ping is usually around 350 but online play is perfect. Here is my speedtest reuslt. All it's telling me is that the speedtest server is crap and limiting my download from it.

Communications 154.5 kilobits per second
Storage 18.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 54.3 seconds
Subjective rating Mediocre
I'm having very bad lag problems as well. I haven't played LFS in some time, and just started playing again. Its a constant jarring lag every couple of seconds. All the cars disappear and reappear off and on off and on,a nd eventualy I lose connection to the server. I used to be able to play online with NO trouble at all, no hardware has changed, but I have gone from win2k to winXP(firewall is off).
You said you are on a wireless router, which can be a problem. Because the signal is transmitted via air, you might have some excessive packet losses when your signal is deflected.

Try this. Open command prompt(Start>Run>command), then type

ping -t [URL="http://www.liveforspeed.net"]www.liveforspeed.net[/URL]

you can break the test by hitting CTRL+C. Optimal packet loss should be 0%, anything higher can cause lags.

EDIT: BTW, that speedtest linked above is quite a crap, you might try this one. It is in czech language but I am sure you can read the results there easily.
16.1 megabits per second
Communications 16.1 megabits per second
Storage 1.9 megabytes per second
1MB file download 0.5 seconds
Subjective rating Unbelievable

There seems to be something wrong with the site. =.=
Forget that site, all it is testing is bandwidth. I think I found my problem, and it may be the same for most or all of us having problems. http://www.dslreports.com/routerwatch My ISP is verson, so scroll down to the verizon sectiona nd noticed all of the RED Basicaly my isp's routers are dropping packets like crazy.

Go here and test your connection quality http://www.dslreports.com/linequality You need to sign up but its worth it. Mine showed 58% packet loss with a medium bandwidth stream. I'm guessing LFS falls under that.

lag problems
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG