The online racing simulator
Setup exploits
(34 posts, started )
Quote from Davo :

I've driven the car til the tyres started losing temp, something which I never knew happened but I'm not sure how hot they should stay. Should they be in the orange to drop down green again, or should they stay in the green for the whole race or does it depend on the length of the race. I don't know where to begin.

If you look at where you choose the tyres it tells you there optimum temperature. You want the outside edge of the tyre doing the most work to be at that optimum temperature when you turn into a corner. You will see it increase as you corner and then decrease again on the straight. The inside edge should be about 10 degrees hotter.
Quote from AndroidXP :As far as my experience goes, once you get up to a decent WR-near speed (read: your driving is smooth), R2 tyres, or R1 for that matter, last much longer than the typical public race. Currently R3 tyres are only needed for relatively long races > ~25-30 laps, and R4 aren't needed at all.
People always try to fiddle with the setup to make the tyres last longer, while the main influence is usually the driver himself.

maybe they confuse temperature and longevity. adjustments for temperature (less braking force, higher pressure, more turn bias to the end of the car that's not as hot) is usually necessary.
Quote from Bob Smith :
There are updated versions of Colcob's setup analyser about, albeit with reduced functionality. I'm not willing to post them publically since they're not my work but if you PM me an email address I'll send you an email with links and instructions. Until I can offer my replacement package (early next year) it's the best thing available - I never suspension without it.

Permission Granted.
#29 - Davo
Thankyou guys for the setup helpers

After making my first own setup for ther FXO @ Fern bay Gold, I'm happy to sy I was pretty succesful. For a 20 lap race my tyres were birhgt green most of the way heating up a little into orange on the insides and middle. It wasn't the fastest set but for me it felt good and was adapted to my driving style and lasted the whoel 20 laps so I'm happy. Especially since keeping tyres in the zone on Fern bay is difficult.

Thanks for all the advice I'll definately be making more sets for myself.
#30 - Davo
I'm stuck again.Not sure how to setup the dampers. Why is bump damping set to max on some sets in the XFR when it should be no more than about 75% of the rebound damping according to the setup guide? Is it the springs or dampers that affect how well the car travels over bumps? And is it stiffer springs or dampers that affect tyre wear? Still trying to get the hang of this but not having much luck.
That is to exploit the locked diff-model the most... The small GTRs torquesteer like no other car, so they want to keep the front as stiff and flat as possible...

Both the springs and the dampers affect how a car reacts with bumps (it's more about the dampers though, it sometimes even voids the 75%-rule in the setup guide)... You'll have to find a good mixture between both... As for tire wear: Everything from wings to steering affects tire wear... It's far more to it than the suspension bit... Again, it's about the compromise: You don't want your tires to slip too much, but at the same time keep enough cornering ability as necessary...
Quote from Davo :I'm stuck again.Not sure how to setup the dampers. Why is bump damping set to max on some sets in the XFR when it should be no more than about 75% of the rebound damping according to the setup guide?

Quote from Bob Smith :WR sets are often tuned for ultimate speed at the sacrifice of handling, which is (nearly) the opposite to how I work. They've only got to complete one lap with f***ing up anyway. I think getting a car to handle nice and balanced should come first (for general racing), then start tweaking things for more speed while staying within your own control limits.

You will find alot of sets for FWD are setup to be oversteer sensitive which is generally done by extreme settings like massively overdamped, this is sacrificing handling for ultimate speed as Bob has stated.
That doesn't mean you can't be fast and consistant in such a set though, it depends on what you get used to, and once you get to know a setups characteristics well you can be consistenly fast over longer races even if others think it is unstable

At the end of the day there is two ways to look at setups, something you do to tweak a car to how you drive or to understand why someone can be so fast with particular settings and learn to adapt your driving style to that fast setup to make good race setups I think you need to do abit of both

Quote from Davo :Is it the springs or dampers that affect how well the car travels over bumps? And is it stiffer springs or dampers that affect tyre wear? Still trying to get the hang of this but not having much luck.

These are good questions perhaps the setup guru's have found exploits inadverently in the sim physics world... for example it depends how it is coded in the sim, maybe tyre wear is linked just to spring stiffness and not dampers - so an exploit would be to have softer springs and harder dampeners to get longer tyre life or cooler tyres
#33 - Davo
Those answers just make me ask more questions than answers That's an interesting point regarding the springs and dampers, might have to try it out.
Quote from Glenn67 :...for example it depends how it is coded in the sim, maybe tyre wear is linked just to spring stiffness and not dampers - so an exploit would be to have softer springs and harder dampeners to get longer tyre life or cooler tyres

No no no, LFS isn't as cheap as that. Even if it was just an example, there is no direct correlation between spring stiffness and tyre wear. Tyre wear is only determined by how much the tyre rubs against the asphalt, or rather how much stress is exerted on that specific tyre patch (of 48 total per tyre). The stiffness just influences how sudden the car weight acts on the tyre in a corner and thus how smooth it can grip to the surface, in simplified terms.

That's the whole principle of LFS physics. No bullshitting shortcuts, just complete cause and effect chains.

Setup exploits
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG