The online racing simulator
What Motorsport Are You Involved In?
(30 posts, started )
Been thinking of this for a while, those of you who are actively involved in Motorsports, whether as a competitor, mechanic or spectator, post here, there are many motorsports out there that not everyone knows about!!

Ill start With

GRASSTRACK

What is Grasstrack racing? Grasstrack is basically the same as Speedway only it is run on grass or what used to be grass.8-12 solos or 6 sidecars per race over 4 laps, finals are usually 6 laps. The race tracks are usually about 450 to 600 metres in length and mostly flat, but owing to land conditions a few undulations and bumps are inevitable. Some areas being worse than others.
How do I start racing? First join a club, affiliated to the ACU. Ask any rider at a meeting for details or e-mail me and I will put you in contact with your local club (UK). Entry forms (regulations) can be found in the centre gazettes sent to you every month by the club secretary.
What about a bike? You will need a bike!(unless you want to be a passenger).This can be either a solo or a sidecar machine. Solo's are run in 3 engine sizes, 250/350/500cc. Sidecars vary, the continental class use 500cc solo derived engines, 1000cc right (or if your crazy enough left) hand sidecars usually use four cylinder road bike engines tuned to various power levels by their owners. Solos and sidecars can usually be found for sale at race meetings. As for prices, you get what you pay for. Unless you can find a sponsor.
How much does it cost? Race entries are about £25 for a solo and around £35 for sidecars, this includes insurance and entry tickets for rider and mechanic (and passenger for sidecars). For this you get a minimum of 2 practice laps and usually 3 races, plus finals if you are good enough. Finals usually have cash prizes.

What about running costs ? Methanol fuel costs about £7.50 for 4.5 litres Most riders use about 10 litres per meeting including practice and racing. Tyres for solo's and sidecars are about £30 each and last about 3 meeting. Most riders use new tyres for each meeting some using several per day!. Other consumable items such as chains, oil, filters etc. Are renewed as and when required.

Clothing? A full leather or kevlar racing suit must be worn, prices vary £200 to £400 a time, but last well. An approved helmet is required, price...how much is your head worth ? Full length boots are worn as are gloves and goggles. Again second hand race clothing can often be found at race meetings.
Ive olny raced in one meeting as a passenger to a 1000cc sidecar!! One of the best things ive done!!

For more info: http://www.sidecarspeedway.com
#2 - CSU1
Cream crackers in the field.:drink:
#3 - (SaM)
Simracing.

Haha no seriously, hmm well I do dirtbike/downhill/freestyle mountainbiking..
I sleep fastest, nobody can catch me on that!
#5 - JTbo
Driving around race track that has tarmac surface is my thing.
Karting

What is karting? The pursuit of victory by any means, usually financial.
How do I start racing? Buy a go kart and a crash helmet, turn up at a track and start testing. Realise you've bought the wrong formula of kart for what you end up wanting to do, and leave it sitting in the shed for two years.
What about a kart? Don't be fooled by low cost formulas, everyone regularly involved in karting is rich. The fact they think some formulas are cheap is a rellative thing.
How much does it cost? Most costs in motor racing are hidden, work out the details of what a season costs in entry fees, repairs, tyres, fuel, transportating, camping (if necessary) then double it and add a naught.
Clothing? Don't ever skimp on your crash helmet or rib protector, buy the best. The rib protector will save your job, the crash helmet will save your life at least once every two years.

Marshalling There are two ways to do this, the couldn't care less about racing method is to work for a local go kart track. Your job here entails slowing down the public, protecting the fleet karts from damage, and screaming at people not to enjoy themselves too much. Or you can enter organised motorsports as an MSA marshall and do it to a professional standard. In both cases you'll end up doing another job to actually pay the bills.

Clerk of the Course Like marshalling, only more complaints, stress and pressure, and a less hands on role. You also have to do the odd bit of public speaking and need crowd control techniques.
I'm not involved in any motorsport, unfortunately.
Same as Becky Rose

Karting

What is karting? 4 small wheels, small little engine, 15,000 rpm, low to ground 20mm, very close racing, bit of bashing and can be dangerous.

How do I start racing? Buy a go kart (Arrow of course) and engine its best to go to a race meeting and see what motor is cheap, reliable and easy to run. Buy Helmet, Gloves, Neckbrace, Rib vest. Karting License

What about a kart?
Start of in a slower class it doesnt cost as much and if you like it move your way up the classes

How much does it cost?
In Australia its very Expensive! I race 2 clases and big events like Australian Championship is $400
(includes controlled tyres) each class same with State Titles, So thats $800 a State Title or Aus Title. thats even before you get there. Travelling costs, food, damage, in one year im guessing around $10,000. I've heard of people spending $50,000+ in karting doesnt do them much good tohugh.

Clothing? Buy Helmet ($200 - $2000), Gloves ($50 - $150) , Neckbrace ($50), Rib vest($50 -$150).
Ditto Becky Rose/Arrow. - although, I dont race - just 'testing' - a few races next year, depending on finances

Next season could see me with some involvement in the WTCC, obviously not as a competitor
The deadliest motorsport i've been in is to try to get to my workplace (35km) in time with my x9 on rush hour. And i had to do the reverse in the afternoon.
i did this for 8 months before i got fired due to being late every morning.
Karting here too. This was my first proper season of racing and we spent about £800 in total. We do it on pretty much the lowest budget you can do it with (getting tyres from bins at S1 meetings etc). That doesn't include buying the kart or the engine rebuild that's coming in January.

So I would say if you're careful you can get a season (12 races including winter champs) of club racing in for about £1500 including an engine top-end rebuild at the end of the year (in Junior Max).

P.S. I've only done 6 races this year, that's why I've only (that sounds like it's not a lot :shrug spent £800.
I'm in Karting. great fun
u spent 800 in 1 year!!! wow man..

i spent almost 800 in 1 meeting not long ago :S
and ive just crashed my kart!
yea man if not more!

i was still only 0.1 secs a lap off the pace with a bent kart tho!

grass lawnmowers sound like a good race class!
Flatulence poo rally.
I will start racing.... POCKET BIKES in March!

WHAT ARE POCKET BIKES? They are little bikes that look like sport bikes http://www.linksengineer.com/A ... da2-9437-63d23249b8b2.jpg Pocket bikes are pretty fast for their size (about 30-40 mph)

HOW DO I START? Just buy a pocket bike, safety gear and go to your local track.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? Good pocket bike costs only about 300-400$. (I will probably get this one http://www.x18pocketbikes.com/x7/ ) And unfortunately safety gear is much more expensive than the whole bike :/ Helmet (200$) Suit (300$) Shoes (100$) and gloves (70) Of course there are even more expensive things. http://www.kneedraggers.com/list/3.7 The races/practices cost only 20$

Heres a little video from a race: http://video.google.com/videop ... ;q=pocket+bikes&hl=en
I did some marshalling during a historic motorcycle race in my town.
#19 - aoun
Arrow, change your name to CRG.
Crg Ftw!
i do kart racing nd becky rose said it all!!
crg are crap m8!
u ever driven intrepid, or gillard, or tonykart?!??!?!!!!
tonykart the best !!!!crg only gd in hot countrys nd gillard are good also !!and intrepid is ok i guess
Hehe, I've only ever driven a CRG. I don't have the money to hire/buy a kart to test it. The one I've got will do at the moment.

(Like Becky said, those with lots of money win, those with not a lot of money - e.g. me - don't and have to make do with what we have. IMO having an older and worse handling kart improves driver skill and you can still keep up with a lot of the new karts :shrug

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG