The online racing simulator
What Ways Can I Improve FPS
(69 posts, started )
Hey guys...

I am not a 100% noob!

But, other than replacing my GFX card, what can I do to improve my fps without lacking in the "eye candy" dept.

Thanx in advance!

TGL
#2 - maczo
Make sure you have "minimum sleep" in "misc settings" set to as low as you can without bad side-effects...
Hi General Lee what sort of FPS are you at now? maybe you could post your system specs, it could help get some more specific answers

Resolution plays a part in fps as does the view you use to drive.

Using AA and AF (advanced display options (not in LFS)) IMO really make the game look good but can hit fps heavily depending on your GFX card.

make sure you are using the HVS options ingame if your card supports it.

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :Using AA and AF (advanced display options (not in LFS)) IMO really make the game look good but can hit fps heavily depending on your GFX card.

LFS is so well optimized that FSAA isn't even a big FPS destroyer... I have axp2200+/1GB ram and Radeon 9500 Pro which is today very low-end card and I still play with 4xFSAA (AF off though).

General Lee: Easy way to do it is to just put every possible setting (yeah, the settings are named some times very confusingly in the gfx options) to low or off. But LFS would then also look like crap so best way to do it is find a compromise between eye-candy and FPS, so would really help if you post your current FPS you're getting in usual conditiosn and your system specs.
#5 - Woz
The single best thing to do is switch to 16bit graphics instead of 32bit. You will not really notice too much difference in visual quality but your GFX card will now only be only doing half the work it was before.

Another tweak is to use "half texture size" or whatever the option is called. This one will actually reduce the amount of memory required in your GFX and seriously reduce workload but at the expense of visual quality.

Of course this all depends what your CPU is. LFS hits the CPU very hard so it might be you CPU is the bottleneck if its slow or a celeron etc.
#6 - J.B.
CPU upgrade will probably be the best thing to do but you need to tell us more about your computer to be sure.
Quote from Woz :The single best thing to do is switch to 16bit graphics instead of 32bit. You will not really notice too much difference in visual quality but your GFX card will now only be only doing half the work it was before.

Have to add that when using 16 bit make sure "Dither" is enabled. Otherwise tarmac and some other textures looks like crap. Though Dither should be enabled by default, I don't know does it have a permance effect when using 32 bit because then it's not needed
#8 - CSU1
Quote from The General Lee :Hey guys...

I am not a 100% noob!

But, other than replacing my GFX card, what can I do to improve my fps without lacking in the "eye candy" dep.

Thanx in advance!

TGL

This is NOTHING to do whith gfx settings etc, etc.
As I own a laptop and am always looking 4 ways to improve sys performsnce what I have done is before launching LFS>press ctrl+alt+delete and stop EVERYTHING you don't need INCLUDING EXPLORER
May not make a huge difference but you could see 20% system performance improvment by practicing the above.
SORRY TO NOT EVEN REPLY TO MY OWN THREAD!

and Sorry about caps lol.

Just recently, my game has really started to lag. At first, I thought it was internet lag, but my dad and brother were able to play without any lag at all. It couldn't be spyware because my computer runs really fast and seems fine is that dept. Then, I noticed my FPS was ranging from 1-7! I am fine when I'm by myself, but as soon as I go near another car...I start to lag, really really badly.

Is this a GFX card problem, because I am more than happy to splash out on a new Graphics Card if it is.

Thanx again,

TGL
Please help. I need to sort this problem out as soon as.

I have my eyes on a new GFX card, but I dont want to buy it to find it isn't going to make any difference.
#11 - Jakg
What are your PC's specs?
do you have Norton Anti-Virus? Id so uninstall it straight away. I found about 15 FPS by uninstalling Norton and so did a mate of mine. I now use AGV Free.
Quote from nikimere :do you have Norton Anti-Virus? Id so uninstall it straight away. I found about 15 FPS by uninstalling Norton and so did a mate of mine. I now use AGV Free.

No mate, Nortan is pants. I uninstalled it has soon as I got my PC.

Quote from Jakg :What are your PC's specs?

See attachment my friend.
Attached images
SystemSpecs.jpg
What else does he need?
Quote from The General Lee :What else does he need?

sorry forgot to look at the computer stats!
your CPU isn't too bad, and thats what will make the biggest difference to LFS. are you sure there are no other programs hogging your CPU while LFS is running?
Nope, my CPU usage is ranging from 0-3%

Quote :
Processor: Pentium 4 516 3.00Ghz HT
Display: 17" Fujitsu Siemens ScaleoView T17-1
Memory: 512MB Ram - Upgrading Soon.
Hard Drive: 200 GB Serial ATA HDD - Might Upgrade
Motherboard: Gigabyte ??
DVD ROM: 16 x DVD-ROM. DVD Brander Multistandard With Dual Layer Burner.
Video/Graphics Card: ATI RADEON™ X300SE PCI-Express + TV-out (Composiet) 256 MB - Upgrading Soon.
Case: Standard Packard Bell Case - Upgrading Soon - LINK
Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro.
Mouse: Logitech Click!
Sound System: Labtec Pulse 485 2.1 Speakers.
Webcam: Logiteck Quickcam.
Home Entertainment Software: Power Cinema, Record Now 7, Sonic My DVD LE.

Just incase he did need anymore
hmmm... i'm stumped. doesn't seem like a bad system to me. and if your CPU usage is 0 - 3% then you should be fine...
hopefully someone more knowledgable with this stuff can stop by and help you out.
Well, I've put the problem down to the GFX card.

I have had problems with it before. Does this look like the problem.
Trust me that your GFX isnt a problem unless it is non-HVS compatible. Doublecheck if there is HVS Enabled in LFS Graphics settings. Also DISABLE Simple track completely, enabling it kicks off HVS because of some reason and thats what you really dont want.

Also you can delete your "Card_Cfg" and "cfg" files in LFS directory and let LFS to restore defaults. (better make backups of them before)
I was talking about Jakg...

But, hey...I'm not sure what you Finnish guys are into...Heck, What the hell!
Quote from The General Lee :Nope, my CPU usage is ranging from 0-3%

Just incase he did need anymore

Wow good videocard you have, that shouldnt be tha problemo. I am running LFS with : 3.0ghz Intel P4, 512MB Memory, ATI 9800XXL 128MB (It's a videocard between ATI 9800XT and ATI 9800Pro) And i don't have problems with LFS, 30-100~ FPS..
It doesnt do a bad job, but since I have had it, it hasnt been 100%.

I play MoHAA, and my walls flash, as does the track and doors.roof on LFS
Dont worry u can play with the sound off LOL (i do it) BTW how can i have those bars that tells the cpu ussage?

(69 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG