The online racing simulator
What Ways Can I Improve FPS
(69 posts, started )
Anytime my friend!
Quote from The General Lee :It doesnt do a bad job, but since I have had it, it hasnt been 100%.

I play MoHAA, and my walls flash, as does the track and doors.roof on LFS

Are you sure you have the correct drivers installed too?
If you have ,and still the weird things, then your videocard MAY be broken or some other such thing
Yep, all my drivers are up to date.
So, will replacing my Graphics Card fix the problem guys?
My comp is so:

CPU: Intel Dual Core Pentium 4 about 5.88 Ghz (my bros is 6 so annoying) Display: standard dell 17 inch flat panel (runs best with 1280/1024)
mouse: dell optical
Wheel: Logitech G25
GFX Card: Nvidia Ge Force 9700 256mb (run MS Flight Simulator 2004 flawless)
Ram: 1024mb
anything else? drawing a blank here?
It runs at 70fps with me alone but with more than 3 other cars its like 10fps
it seems like with my comp it should run faster.
Mine is the same, but what confuses me is...it was fine about a month ago?
In flight sim i can run it at 100fps with highest graphics and everything no problems perfect frame rate
All I can say is you guys definitely have something wrong. Because I'm smokin ya all with an onboard graphics chip and only an Athalon 64 3500. I haven't seen sub-20 FPS since my days with the Celeron 667 MHz running S1.

My max framerate is only 50, and 45 average I'd say. But I never dip down below 35 except with 20+ cars on the grid. I keep all LFS options maxed, but resolution only at 1024x768. Though I can run 1152x864 (max for the gfx chip) without dropping to gameplay affecting framerate.
i run it in 1280by1024 32bit

framerate doesn't change between 32 and 16 so idk
#37 - Jakg
Quote from The General Lee :No mate, Nortan is pants. I uninstalled it has soon as I got my PC.

See attachment my friend.

well the weakest part is the Video/Graphics Card: ATI RADEON™ X300SE PCI-Express + TV-out (Composiet) 256 MB - Upgrading Soon., but even then it isnt too shabby - is HVS enabled? It should be!
Quote from Jeff_117 :CPU: Intel Dual Core Pentium 4 about 5.88 Ghz

you might want to actually check that, as intel never made a chip above 5 GHz
Its more like 5.66 Ghz

Its a dual core pentium 4

my bros is two 3 Ghz processors

mine is two 2.88 Ghz precessors

sorry i realizzed myGFX card wasnt 9700 it is 7900
I think there are two issues here, maybe not so much your graphics card. I've been in the industry a long time and first and most important is your system memory. 512k will barely run WinXP, never mind a game on top.

As an example I play a lot of Battlefield 2. I had 1Gb of system RAM and the game was choppy. I doubled it to 2Gb and the problem went away, the WHOLE system is much better both on the desktop and in games. 512k is ludicrous these days.

I would whole-heartedly upgrade your memory FIRST. 1Gb is an absolute minimum, 2Gb is recommended despite what anyone says. You'll not regret it.

Dave
#40 - Jakg
it isnt a 5.66 GHz cpu, its a CPU with 2x 2.88 GHz cores. NOT the same thing

To both of you - try uninstalling the drivers, wiping them with Driver Cleaner then re-installing them
Quote from horrgakx :I think there are two issues here, maybe not so much your graphics card. I've been in the industry a long time and first and most important is your system memory. 512k will barely run WinXP, never mind a game on top.

As an example I play a lot of Battlefield 2. I had 1Gb of system RAM and the game was choppy. I doubled it to 2Gb and the problem went away, the WHOLE system is much better both on the desktop and in games. 512k is ludicrous these days.

I would whole-heartedly upgrade your memory FIRST. 1Gb is an absolute minimum, 2Gb is recommended despite what anyone says. You'll not regret it.

Dave

I was able to play BF2 on 512 RAM without any major problems. I have plans to upgrade my memory to 1Gb before Christmas. I'm not sure if my mobo will take 2Gb, as I had to replace it with a budget one not to long ago.
Quote from Jeff_117 :My comp is so:

CPU: Intel Dual Core Pentium 4 about 5.88 Ghz (my bros is 6 so annoying) Display: standard dell 17 inch flat panel (runs best with 1280/1024)
mouse: dell optical
Wheel: Logitech G25
GFX Card: Nvidia Ge Force 9700 256mb (run MS Flight Simulator 2004 flawless)
Ram: 1024mb
anything else? drawing a blank here?
It runs at 70fps with me alone but with more than 3 other cars its like 10fps
it seems like with my comp it should run faster.

Do you have applied a dual-core patch on OS? It may be required for correct task scheduling. Are you sure about that CPU frequency? There is no such P4 clocked on 2.88GHz, just some Celerons are IIRC.
If your CPU speed is about those 3GHz, dont expect any miraculous speeds, you will be just a little faster than single-cored P4, because LFS is not multithread application.
FPS about 70 when alone are not good, make sure you have DISABLED Simple Track and ENABLED HVS in LFS Graphics options. You might also want to set Basic Sound Acceleration in "dxdiag" to check if there is no EAX conflict.

EDIT: Just quickly counted that there cant be any P4 with 2.88GHz default clock with 533MHz nor 800MHz FSB. You would always get disallowed decimal multiplier. Isnt your CPU overclocked, that you report such frequency?
NOTE in earlier posts it said it was dual core pentium 4, after cheecking again they are Pentium D processors

Someone else explained the processor thing Jakg i think. BTW Its a Dell XPS 400. (thought the mouse and moniter might not have been enough)

ill check it on my pc. im using the G4 ibook my school gave me at the moment.

Quote :f your CPU speed is about those 3GHz, dont expect any miraculous speeds, you will be just a little faster than single-cored P4, because LFS is not multithread application.

are you saying that LFS is not capable of usig both proccessors? idk im just asking.
if so that sucks.

When you were talking about
Quote :
Do you have applied a dual-core patch on OS?

The computer has VIIV technology and i have installed the drivers if thats what you are refering to?

Is the problem being that (if its true) LFS only utalizes(sp) on processor?

and that FS2004 is made by Microsoft it doesn't have that problem?

i can play NFS Carbon without nearly any problems

Americas Army as well.

If it is in fact the processor issue, is there any way to resolve it?

thanks

Jeff
Here is a pic of some of the specs for the processors
Attached images
DC.JPG
#45 - Jakg
Quote from Jeff_117 :NOTE in earlier posts it said it was dual core pentium 4, after cheecking again they are Pentium D processors

Someone else explained the processor thing Jakg i think. BTW Its a Dell XPS 400. (thought the mouse and moniter might not have been enough)

ill check it on my pc. im using the G4 ibook my school gave me at the moment.

are you saying that LFS is not capable of usig both proccessors? idk im just asking.
if so that sucks.

When you were talking about

The computer has VIIV technology and i have installed the drivers if thats what you are refering to?

Is the problem being that (if its true) LFS only utalizes(sp) on processor?

and that FS2004 is made by Microsoft it doesn't have that problem?

i can play NFS Carbon without nearly any problems

Americas Army as well.

If it is in fact the processor issue, is there any way to resolve it?

thanks

Jeff

erm, i think you misunderstand.

READ MY WHOLE POST FIRST!

The CPU has two "brains" (if its dual core) - when LFS was written it was never meant for this, it can use 1 "brain", while everything else goes on the other "brain". Writing a program to use both is bloody hard without a re-write - chances are something is set up funny and thats why Americas Army and NFS work well

VIIV is actually something completely different, and you probably WONT have the dual core patch installed

i see you have a "GFX Card: Nvidia Ge Force 9700 256mb (run MS Flight Simulator 2004 flawless)" - THere is a known imcompatibility (aparently ATi's fault) with a few versions of the ATi drivers, making LFS run VERY slowly. If you upgrade the drivers to the latest version. Download the latest drivers (or, i would recommend, the Omega's - a 3rd party "tweaked" set of drivers that perform better than the official ones)

First, uninstall the old drivers (anything starting with "ATi" in "Add/Remove Programs"), then reboot

[Optional Step!] Run driver cleaner if you have it - it just went pay only :'(

Install the new ones.

Hope it gives you a better FPS

Also, i looked up the XPS 400 (just to see what it was like - i like seeing Dells lines of "ultimate gaming machines" that are actually quite rubbish) and it said it had an nVidia 6800GT. Are you sure?

EDIT - Oh balls, i see you have a 7900! Right then, my advice still stands, it could be a corrupt driver installation, download these drivers, uninstall the old ones, reboot, run driver cleaner (if you have it), and then install these.

The most important thing to check is that "HVS" is ENABLED in LFS

Hope this helps!
Hey Jakg.

Any chance of the top drivers for ATI RADEON™ X300SE.

Thanks for all your help so far mate.
#47 - Davo
In Task Manager set the affinity of LFS.exe to either CPU0 or CPU1, choose 1, just make sure they're not both ticked and see if that helps at all.

It's very strange to not get good fps with an nvidia 7900, GS or GT, they both should absolutely fly with over 100fps unless AA and AF are turned on max, even then it shouldn't chug unless you're playing at huge resolutions with 20 other cars.

Get the latest nvidia drivers 93.71 as Jak said. Nvidia finally fixed their control panel and the program profiles work again

General Lee you've gone and thrown your money in the bin, because the X300 is faster than the 9550 Grab the Omega drivers Jak posted the link to. personally I've never had a problem with the official ATi control panel and catalyst drivers.
#48 - Jakg
Quote from Davo :It's very strange to not get good fps with an nvidia 7900, GS or GT, they both should absolutely fly with over 100fps unless AA and AF are turned on max, even then it shouldn't chug unless you're playing at huge resolutions with 20 other cars.

it should - thus if its getting lower FPS then i think something is broken!

Quote from The General Lee :Hey Jakg.

Any chance of the top drivers for ATI RADEON™ X300SE.

Thanks for all your help so far mate.

Tada! - I think your main problem is your rubbish (although not too bad) graphics card and your lack of RAM
i got the pc a while ago and i went back to their webstie for drivers adnd decided to see if i could make it again, they don't manufacture the 400 anymore, where did u get that info from?

and what is the dual core patch?
Jakg, is it right what Davo is saying...I fear so.

and thanks for link

Also, here is a screenie of my fps at the start of a race with 12-15 other cars...

**EDIT**
Can you see that "hole" in the side of my car, that is very annoying, that is what i was talking about in my original post.
Attached images
fps.JPG

What Ways Can I Improve FPS
(69 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG