The online racing simulator
LFS and Richard Burns!
(18 posts, started )
LFS and Richard Burns!
Fellow Racers,
my point is:
1) LFS still rules, but
2) Richard Burns Rally (RBR) is outstanding

... as long as you travel over gravel...

I'm surprised that there are so few RBR threads here when compared to all comments about rFactor, GPL, GTR, GRTII and so on.
In my own opinion, the two best simulations are LFS and RBR.
GTR1 and 2 produce some good moments behind the wheel but still gives you the (wrong?) feeling as if the landscape is moving - not the vehicle.

This is very sad, especially as the upcoming (SimBin) RACE title feels just like that. I know RBR has some fans and I have (delighted) just become one of them. With some tweaking it really delivers.

How many of you agree? And if not, why do you not agree?
I really would like to shed some light over RBR, in case you did not know about this title.
LFS is still LFS and will (perhaps) allways be closest to my carkeys.
hehe, the way i see it the RBR community and LFS community are allies. Yet we bash on rfactor, gtr etc because their the crap titles
Well, rallying is not that popular as track racing so that will explain in general why RBR isn't as popular as other sims. And it didn't sell good enough (obviously not enough, otherwise the dev team wouldn't been fired).

But yes RBR rules on gravel. Tarmac is a bit dull though.

I'm still hoping someone would hack RBR source code so it would be possible to create mods with totally new physics, as long as that won't happen proper Group B physics or RWD at all isn't just possible.
Aye, RBR rocks in it's own right Only 2 games i ever play are LFS and RBR.
when i saw the thread title i was thinking "poor richard " lol
havent tried rbr yet, have to give it a go when i can get hold of it
im not really that much into rally prefer strett racing but maybe that game changes my opinion ^^
i dont think it will be as real as lfs is, cuz that imo impossible (pretty much at least)
RBR is a sweet game, though I've barely played it recently, too much LFS!
Couldn't agree more, RBR is still by far the most amazing/best rally sim game I've played, it's that good!
I agree. RBR is propably one of the best offline car sims today and best rally sim ever. It's so fun to drive with your freands using RBRnet.
#9 - SamH
I really must agree.. the two sims that I feel are worthy of being called sims are LFS and RBR. Fortunately, they both address entirely different aspects of motorsport, so there's no internal conflict while admiring both of them.

I would recommend anyone who enjoys LFS should buy RBR, if they have the remotest interest in rally, because the physics environment will not in any way be an alien experience. After a year of LFS, I was able to climb into an RBR car and feel extremely comfortable straight away.
You really can't compare LFS with RBR as you can with GTR because LFS is mostly track concentrated and RBR is all rally. LFS has sort of rally of course, but it's crap compared to RBR, but they both give the sort of feeling you miss in ISI sims, you can feel the car correctly, and RBR is amazingly challenging and so much fun when you doing 200 km/h on narrow road between trees, prrrrrr! So, making a LFS vs RBR thread would be kind of pointless because I think everyone can agree that they are both great titles.
Yeah also agree on that one , RBR is an amazing game , I guess the two sims feel so similar because of the same FF approach
Quote from deggis :
But yes RBR rules on gravel. Tarmac is a bit dull though.

I don't understand why everybody complains about RBR's tarmac physics.. I think they're spot on. "Stable" but "elastic" in low speeds and very "sensitive" and "lively" in high speeds.
Good to hear you enjoy RBR as much as I do . As mentioned by Blackout above, LFS & RBR are not really comparable (street/track vs SS), but my point was to recommend RBR as a complement to LFS. They certainly are allies. It was interesting to hear from SamH that going into RBR after LFS was a pice of cake - this is a really good indication that the sims follow eachother (reasonably) in handling. I felt the same.
There are alot of possibilities to alter physics and cams, adding cars, and modify tracks and sounds. It has taken me about 2 weeks to tune in the game the way I want it. Now, the brittish gravel roads really rocks!!

Anyhow, thanks for comments, and to those who have no copy of RBR - get it, and put it next to LFS! I got mine from a sales shelf for $10, and would have paid tripple the amount if I had to. It's a mystery why it didn't sell better. RBR is a worthy experience in memory of Richard.

Thanks,
Ingolf

PS: Here's a sound sample from RBR using Tore "aka" 2re's Audio v2.3 found at blackhole motorsports. DS.
Attached files
RBR Sound sample.mp3 - 131.2 KB - 183 views
Quote from deggis :I'm still hoping someone would hack RBR source code so it would be possible to create mods with totally new physics, as long as that won't happen proper Group B physics or RWD at all isn't just possible.

Quote from internets :On March 31, 2006, the source code for Richard Burns Rally was acquired by the Swedish SimRacers Foundation.

edit: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=36782 haha, they got me!
Me - Permission to shout ROFL Sir

Commanding Officer - Permission Granted

Me - :ices_rofl
didnt like rbr. yet i liked the smoke longevity on the replays.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :didnt like rbr. yet i liked the smoke longevity on the replays.

um.

the smoke? there's so much right with the sim and you point out the smoke (I assume you mean the dust trails).

I don't feel the need to defend RBR as I know it's absolutely top shelf, but what are your reasons for not liking it?
:yikes:

I like RBR too... But anyone who thinks the tarmac physics are even remotely correct, that leaves me wondering - considering the developers in the past even mentioned their inferiority.

LFS and Richard Burns!
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG